Muscle Milk for Lactose Intolerant?

Can anyone tell me if muscle milk collegiate is a good option for those that are lactose intolerant? I’m trying to bulk so the added calories/protein will really help.

their products usually are lactose free

at least their evo pro and regular muscle milk

Rice milk?

Muscle milk is crap because it has some additive that is bad for you. I don’t remember it but this site talked about it once. Take 1 a day lactose intolerance pills. One month costs you $10 and it works perfectly.

the additive was glyco-cyamine and it is no longer part of their formula, they’ve revised it to be lower fat, no gcc and it now has fiber as well. just make sure you don’t get an old tub when you buy it because the shelf life is forever so some of the old gcc-containing product is still on sale.

[quote]Tagio wrote:
the additive was glyco-cyamine and it is no longer part of their formula, they’ve revised it to be lower fat, no gcc and it now has fiber as well. just make sure you don’t get an old tub when you buy it because the shelf life is forever so some of the old gcc-containing product is still on sale.[/quote]

Awesome info Tagio much appreciated. But once bit twice shy ill stick with Biotest.

[quote]HunterKiller wrote:
Muscle milk is crap because it has some additive that is bad for you. I don’t remember it but this site talked about it once. Take 1 a day lactose intolerance pills. One month costs you $10 and it works perfectly. [/quote]

The only problem with taking the lactaid (I think thats the brand?) pills is that your body still exhibits an allergic reaction in regards to cortisol, you just dont get the stomach upset. I would go with a vegetable based protein if you are lactose intolerant. There are vegetable proteins out there besides for soy and I have heard good things about them.

Here’s an interesting bit of information about that additive, posted by someone else here at T-Nation

"Some studies of the effects of glycocyamine done on HUMANS:

http://www.ajcn.org/...t/full/80/3/539

A series of papers (179-182) showed that a combination of betaine and guanidinoacetate (glycocyamine) improves the symptoms of subjects with chronic illness, including heart disease, without toxicity. Betaine can provide a methyl group to guanidinoacetate, via methionine, for the formation of creatine (179). Overall, treatment led to an improved sense of well-being, less fatigue, greater strength and endurance, and increased desire for (and performance of) physical and mental work. Subjects with cardiac decompensation (arteriosclerosis or rheumatic disease) (180) and congestive heart failure (181) had improved cardiac function. Subjects gained weight (improved nitrogen balance) and reported lessened symptoms of arthritis and asthma and increased libido, and those with hypertension experienced transient reduced blood pressure."

Still nice to know that they’ve gotten rid of it anyway.

As far as the lactaid pills go, I can go that route only if the main protein used is an isolate. Like stronghold mentioned I’ll still have some allergic reactions if it’s too much concentrate.

thx for all the great info btw

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
HunterKiller wrote:
Muscle milk is crap because it has some additive that is bad for you. I don’t remember it but this site talked about it once. Take 1 a day lactose intolerance pills. One month costs you $10 and it works perfectly.

The only problem with taking the lactaid (I think thats the brand?) pills is that your body still exhibits an allergic reaction in regards to cortisol, you just dont get the stomach upset. I would go with a vegetable based protein if you are lactose intolerant. There are vegetable proteins out there besides for soy and I have heard good things about them.[/quote]

This needs to get cleared up. Lactose intolerance is NOT an allergy .

“Intolerance to a food isn’t the same as a food allergy. Lactose intolerance doesn’t involve your immune system, as an allergy does, and doesn’t necessarily require complete avoidance of milk products. You can control symptoms of lactose intolerance through a carefully chosen diet that limits lactose without cutting out calcium, and possibly by taking supplements”