T Nation

Muscle Memory???

was wondering, if muscle has memory and you wanted to lose alot of weight why not lose the weight with the fore-thought of losing the muscle and then rapidly gain the muscle back without gaining the fat???

obviously not intentionally losing muscle, but not walking on egg shells to keep every ounce. hope that makes sense.

just a thought on my brain, lol…

[quote]XKawN wrote:
was wondering, if muscle has memory and you wanted to lose alot of weight why not lose the weight with the fore-thought of losing the muscle and then rapidly gain the muscle back without gaining the fat???

obviously not intentionally losing muscle, but not walking on egg shells to keep every ounce. hope that makes sense.

just a thought on my brain, lol…[/quote]

If you drop muscle, you also drop your metabolic rate. That means it will be easier to gain fat after you finish dieting. That’s why. Muscle Memory is a reality in terms of a well trained athlete gaining back muscle after a lay off or injury.

That does not mean losing it on purpose just to rush “weight loss” is a good idea. You will simply screw up your metabolism and eventually have the potential to be even fatter than when you began dieting.

thanks for the reply. guess i should’ve been smart enough to figure that one out, but i’ve never been accused of being smart, lol. just so you know, it was just a question. i’m actually trying very hard to gain muscle and lose fat not just jenny craig’n it, lol…