Muscle Memory

How much lean mass lost post layoff? And how long does it take you?

I’ve read some guys can lose 50lbs across a year, then slam 45lbs back in in 2 months, that realistic?

This is an interesting question but context matters. What do you plan to do with this information?

[quote]Jaybee wrote:
How much lean mass lost post layoff? And how long does it take you?

I’ve read some guys can lose 50lbs across a year, then slam 45lbs back in in 2 months, that realistic?

[/quote]

No one can gain back 45 pounds of mostly muscle in two months. Usually strength comes back fairly quickly, as opposed to a previously untrained person. But there is a physiological limit to the human’s body to build muscle in a specific amount of time. Even with steroids that is a bit unheard of.

Not in two months, but very quickly in the right situation.

Last year, I had a very serious medical situation that lasted the entire second half of the year. Went from 210, fairly lean at 5’10" to ~145 and very, very weak. It’s been 11 months since the end of my surgeries, and I’m back up to the original weight, a bit less lean but close to as strong. So that’s roughly 65lbs in a bit less than a year, and I’ve been at this weight for several months.

Your question is very very variable. For me after 8 months layoff with a lot of daily walking, i lost 15 kgs precisely. It took me 5 months to re- gain %90 of the strength while only putting back on 7 kgs, no supplements/PEDS.

Look up “Colorado Experiment”.

And where did you read that little bit of info?

[quote]tsantos wrote:
This is an interesting question but context matters. What do you plan to do with this information?[/quote]

I doubt you’ll have anything to offer, but here goes. Potentially, solve the dilemma many older (40+) BB’ers face - of loose skin overhanging the 5th/6th ab when arriving at 10% BF.

When my wife and I first started dating, I wound up dropping to 170 from a previous 195. Fast forward a year or so and I’m back to 190ish and stronger, but not quite as lean. For me, it was just getting back to the grind. There has been other times where I’ve lost and gained size in relativly short amounts of time, but nothing as drastic as 25lbs. In those other layoffs though, I personally found that getting back to good old fashioned hard work and good eatin’ was the cure.