T Nation

Muscle Memory?

Hoping to get some more detailed info on muscle memory? I built a tremendous amount of muscle a couple times in my life before taking 5 years off. Gains are coming back easily.

Will this continue until all the old muscle is restored or stop after say half?

Is there a time limit on how long you can wait before building it back?

tremendous

adjective
very great in amount, scale, or intensity.
"Penny put in a tremendous amount of time"
synonyms: very great, huge, enormous, immense, colossal, massive, prodigious, stupendous, monumental, mammoth, vast, gigantic, giant, mighty, epic, monstrous, titanic, cosmic, towering, king-sized, king-size, gargantuan, Herculean, Brobdingnagian; More
very loud, deafening, ear-splitting, ear-piercing, booming, thundering, thunderous, roaring, resounding, crashing

antonyms: tiny, small, slight, soft

informal
extremely good or impressive; excellent.

“the crew did a tremendous job”

synonyms: excellent, wonderful, marvellous, magnificent, superb, splendid, glorious, sublime, lovely, delightful, first-class, first-rate, outstanding;

More
antonyms: bad, poor
archaic
inspiring awe or dread.

[quote]fightnews wrote:
Hoping to get some more detailed info on muscle memory? I built a tremendous amount of muscle a couple times in my life before taking 5 years off. Gains are coming back easily.

Is there a time limit on how long you can wait before building it back?[/quote]
How big did you get before? What size are you now? How long have you been back at it?

Muscle memory is related to strength, not size. It sounds like you’re talking about size.

Depends on what you mean by tremendous I suppose. I fell into depression for more than 2 years and in that time frame I stopped training and most other activities. When I finally got my shit together, I started training again and in 3 months I managed to regain pretty much most of the strength that took me 3 years to build. Muscle wise I suppose I regained quite a lot of it as well because my colleagues including a couple of regular gym goers were very surprised at my rate of “progress” haha.

Though keep in mind I didn’t build a tremendous amount of strength and muscle before that so I can’t say for sure what someone at your level will experience.

Yeah im talking size and muscle memory works for size lol. Anyone whos ever experienced it knows that. I was 256 before and in 5 years off went as low as 166-167 after being sick. Within 2 months of starting I went from 175 to 200. Don’t know bodyfat% but it’s always around the same. I just go by whether or not I can see my abs or how much fat I can pinch from my stomach which is where i store most of my bodyfat. I’m natural though I used prohormones alot for 2 years in my 20’s but they didn’t even get me to my heaviest weight. Def they got me my strongest by far. Not going to say numbers because no one ever believes it. Also drastic weight swings are normal for me as I’ve gone through many everytime I start and stop lifting over the last 25 years

Pics or it didn’t happen. Unless you’re like 6’5".

[quote]Gnarly wrote:
Pics or it didn’t happen. Unless you’re like 6’5".[/quote] Sorry no pics, anyway its irrelevant to the question but im 5’11. Anyway u shouldn’t be so skeptical there are all different kinds of people in the gene pool

And imagine building all that muscle WITHOUT doing squats or deadlifts :slight_smile:

On that topic, welcome back, fightnews (or FightNews10) :slight_smile: Do you get to watch reruns of “The Wire”? And does FightingIrish know you’re back???

[quote]fightnews wrote:

[quote]jeremielemauvais wrote:
And imagine building all that muscle WITHOUT doing squats or deadlifts :slight_smile:

On that topic, welcome back, fightnews (or FightNews10) :slight_smile: Do you get to watch reruns of “The Wire”? And does FightingIrish know you’re back???

[quote]fightnews wrote:

[/quote] Thanks man, Yeah i dont squat or deadlift because of my bad back but I actually did physical therapy a while ago and it worked so I might start up again. I liked squating back in the day. Yeah ive seen all of the wire and fighting irish thinks he’s like an authority on boxing or something.