T Nation

Muscle Mass and Heart Health

Forgive me if this topic has a thread already. I have searched but came up empty.

I am in the process of changing my life insurance plan and received basic results today. Part of their reasoning for giving me the rate they did was due to my height to weight ratio.

I replied to my agent that BMI doesn't account for lean mass. Her reply back (underwriting's reply): "Whereas we do not screen for body mass, regardless of the composition of a personâ??s weight, if theyâ??re weight is above average for their height, then their heart works a little harder to pump blood through."

And: "Iâ??ve come across this same issue with professional athletes and bodybuilders. Yes, theyâ??re in great health, but their weight always is somewhat above average for their height. Itâ??s not a mark against you, it simply can hold you back from outstanding points in that category."

So, regardless of their "great health", they get lower marks for an above average body weight.

I am looking for a scientific paper, study, whatever that refutes this idea that just because body weight is higher than average it automatically affects the heart in a negative way.

wish you well in your search and be sure to let us know if you find something

but I'm afraid you are up against "lies, damned lies and statistics" - their statistics care nothing for health, only their categories such as age, weight, blood pressure, etc.

i'm afraid you might be right, but I can't help wanting to at least show them I know it's "lies, damned lies and statistics".

Just did the life insurance application and had the visit to take my blood, urine, bp, etc. I'm over 200, too, but they did do a chest and waist measurement. I assumed it was for some real basis bfm formula. Sure it won't be used to lower the payments :slight_smile:

That's funny because there was an area for that info to be taken on the examiner's sheet, but for some reason a chest and waist measurement wasn't taken. I am starting to view all the information they get as a sort of Miranda. Anything can and will be used against you.

I was assured I was "healthy" and then told I got the standard rate. Which just so happens to be the worst rate for a "healthy" non-smoker.

Before TRT I had a 34" waist and was getting flabby and carried fat on my torso, not just my mid section. Now I have a 31" waist and my 31" pants are loose. My weight never changed. As I lost fat, I gained muscle. Technically, my BMI was the same, before and after. BMI says no difference.

Insurance companies don't give a damn about the truth, they just want your money. Back in the 1950's, the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company decided to publish an actuarial table about "ideal height/weight" ranges in order to reap more profits from their policyholders. So they "invented" the calculation for BMI based on a chart created by Adolphe Quetelet back in the mid 1800's.

Google for the rest of the story............

Well, the stupidity of the calculation makes much more sense now.