T Nation

Muscle Mags - Best One?

Hey all I am a new poster here but have lurked for sometime now. Anyways I did a search and came up fruitless on the different types of muscle magazines out there. What do you all read and what do you think the best one is? Thanks

T-Nation.

Everything eles is crap. sound bites and newsflashes.

Want something to read, go to “Random Article” and print it out.

Thats what I do.

[quote]Panik (akajbodzi wrote:
T-Nation.

Everything eles is crap. sound bites and newsflashes.

Want something to read, go to “Random Article” and print it out.

Thats what I do.[/quote]

Yup, what he said. Check the archive…

I mean obviously I read the articles on here. That is why I am here in the first place right? But I am looking for something more like an actual printed magazine.

[quote]PinkMist wrote:
I mean obviously I read the articles on here. That is why I am here in the first place right? But I am looking for something more like an actual printed magazine.[/quote]

I beg to differ. You obviously haven’t read the “Ghost Wolf” series. Had you, it would have been mighty strange for you to post this question.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:

I beg to differ. You obviously haven’t read the “Ghost Wolf” series. Had you, it would have been mighty strange for you to post this question.[/quote]

Ok I beg to differ as well. Just because some guy named Canis Dirus posts something on the internet bashing muscle magazine that makes it canon right? O yea I forgot that everything posted on the internet is 100% correct. So anyways just because one person bashes on it doesn’t not mean that there is nothing good out there or even that there is someone out there who reads them.

[quote]PinkMist wrote:
beebuddy wrote:

I beg to differ. You obviously haven’t read the “Ghost Wolf” series. Had you, it would have been mighty strange for you to post this question.

Ok I beg to differ as well. Just because some guy named Canis Dirus posts something on the internet bashing muscle magazine that makes it canon right? O yea I forgot that everything posted on the internet is 100% correct. So anyways just because one person bashes on it doesn’t not mean that there is nothing something good out there or even that there is someone out there who reads them.
[/quote]

Well since it seems you don’t want to listen to anyone… Heres a list:

Flex
Muscle and Fitness
Men’s Health
Ironman
Cosmo
Oxygen
Vanity Fair

I strongly suggest the last three for your needs.

If you absolutely have to read a magazine, and for some reason T-Nation is not giving you everything you need Fitness RX is probably one of the more competent magazines I’ve read, but that’s definitely not saying alot considering most magazines are definitely crap.

[quote]PinkMist wrote:
beebuddy wrote:

Ok I beg to differ as well. Just because some guy named Canis Dirus posts something on the internet bashing muscle magazine that makes it canon right? O yea I forgot that everything posted on the internet is 100% correct. So anyways just because one person bashes on it doesn’t not mean that there is nothing good out there or even that there is someone out there who reads them.
[/quote]

LOL.

I think I might be qualified to weigh in here, and I beg to differ with your differ.

The magazines are all full of crap.

That said, there are also nuggets of good information in all of them. Some contain more nuggets of good info than others. The point of the “Ghost” was to pull out the good nuggets and save you the unenviable task of searching through 1,000 pages of crap to find them. (Okay, maybe I made fun of them a little bit too.)

Back to the crap. To recommend any of the mags to a Newbie is a disservice, because along the good information is even more bad information and misinformation (crap). How is a Newbie to know the difference? What is going to stop the Newbie from following some program of five-bazillion sets to failure that only really works for a guy on 2-grams of gear a week? What?s to stop him from thinking 5 sets of tricep kickbacks and a Smith machine are the answer to his small arms? Hmm.

If I had to recommend one as the ?least of evils?, I would pick Muscular Development, and then, only the stuff backed up with references from peer-reviewed journals. (Not the 342 pages of advice from ?pros? actually ghost-written by men with arms no bigger than Paris Hilton.)

But as someone said above, if education is your goal, you?d be way ahead printing off articles from this site.

Canis Dirus

I’ll have to say Men’s Health

You guys overlook a major fact here.

It must be remembered that T-Nation is rather sparse on ‘‘Man-Candy’’ spreads…and maybe that’s his thing…

You know, sweaty men working out in ripped jeans short-shorts, sleaveless open shirts holding each others ‘‘dumbbells’’.

Don’t worry man, last time I checked, there wasn’t anything wrong with that or so everybody says.

Cheers,
AlexH

Canis Dirus is right on.

MILO is generally better than most, as is Powerlifting USA. But really, all you need is here at the Nation, for now. Elitefts.com is good too.

only hardcopy magazine i could recommend is powerlifting usa

you’ll probably overtrain your forearms flipping through ads in other muscle magazines

Also, keep in mind that if you want to pick something on paper beacause you can lug it around or don’t like to read on a computer screen, you can print T-Nation’s article. That’s what I do, as I prefer to read on paper. I’ll be a lot cheaper and more informative than any mag you can ever get.

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:
Also, keep in mind that if you want to pick something on paper beacause you can lug it around or don’t like to read on a computer screen, you can print T-Nation’s article. That’s what I do, as I prefer to read on paper. I’ll be a lot cheaper and more informative than any mag you can ever get.[/quote]

That’s the best idea. Everyday I have to sit through a boring 1 hour meeting…and everyday I print out a new T Nation article so I get my fix in!