Muscle Loss on Velocity Diet

Hi, how are you all?

I have been doing the velocity diet for two weeks, following it almost exactly.

I lost 10 or 11 pounds.

However, I also lost muscle: My deadlift went down about 20 pounds in one week!

I am stopping the diet today.

How long do you think it would take for my deadlift to go back to its previous level?

Thanks a lot,
Max

[quote]madmaxs wrote:
Hi, how are you all?

I lost 10 or 11 pounds.

How long do you think it would take for my deadlift to go back to its previous level?

Thanks a lot,
Max [/quote]

I don’t know the answer to your main question but I will offer you one tip, DO NOT MAX OUT ON ANY LIFT WHEN YOU ARE DIETING!!!

That is all. :slight_smile:

Are you sure your deadlift decreased due to a loss in muscle and not because your muscle glycogen is depleated?

[quote]beebuddy wrote:

I don’t know the answer to your main question but I will offer you one tip, DO NOT MAX OUT ON ANY LIFT WHEN YOU ARE DIETING!!!

That is all. :)[/quote]

Ok, now I got to ask why.

It doubtful you lost muscle in only two weeks while on a high protein diet (unless “almost exactly” means you changed something critical.)

Loss of strength temporarily in a lift like the dead is pretty normal however while on a reduced calorie, reduced carb diet like the V-Diet. Your goal is fat loss, not powerlifting trophies.

Most people keep strength and some report gains on obvious exercises like dips and pull-ups.

Unless you’ve messed up somewhere, I’d say to keep things normal, focus on the fat loss, and don’t worry too much about any temporary losses in “strength.” It will likely come back once you transition off and re-introduce some whole food healthy carbs.

[quote]madmaxs wrote:

I lost 10 or 11 pounds.

[/quote]

LOL. So… When you were glycogen-depleted while on a severe-calorie-restricted diet, you maxed out on deadlift? When you were unable to lift as much as usual, you concluded that you’ve lost muscle?

WOW.

[quote]josh.shafer wrote:
Ok, now I got to ask why.
[/quote]

It’s that there glycogen depletion thingy that happens when you eat less than you burn.

[quote]madmaxs wrote:
Hi, how are you all?

I lost 10 or 11 pounds.

Thanks a lot,
Max [/quote]

Were you just looking for a reason to stop the diet- or do you honestly believe what you wrote?

By the way I am doing fine and it’s nice of you to ask…