T Nation

Muscle = Less Trouble?

I read this in the “Guys at Clubs” thread, and didn’t want to bring it even more off topic. I was wondering, is this really true? It may have been the motivation for many of us here to start working out in the first place. And sure, it atleast leads to less people trying to intimidate you.

But, as I’ve had some opportunities to hang out with some really big guys at clubs, and it seems to me that they are like magnets to (often drunk) bigmouths and “fighters”. Like, guys trying to feel your biceps, saying stupid shit and generally trying to tool you. Allso being prize trophies for guys who go out to pick a fight to “show their manhood”. Any comments on this one, from guys already packed on some notable size?

Not that I don’t respect the question, but the answer is kind of moot. What are we gonna do, limit our gains?

[quote]Imbrondir wrote:
But, as I’ve had some opportunities to hang out with some really big guys at clubs, and it seems to me that they are like magnets to (often drunk) bigmouths and “fighters”. Like, guys trying to feel your biceps, saying stupid shit and generally trying to tool you. Allso being prize trophies for guys who go out to pick a fight to “show their manhood”. Any comments on this one, from guys already packed on some notable size?[/quote]

That is why I mentioned being a bouncer. I have done that before short term as a part time job. When people get alcohol in them, it usually comes with instant liquid courage. I know a few bouncers now that work at some of the local clubs and they get the same shit. One guy is about 6’2" and weighs over 270lbs and they focus in on him. He gets tested often. He knocks them out, but he still getss tested. Outside of that job though, I have never seen anyone treat him the same. I don’t go to clubs often. It just isn’t my scene. I have had little dudes bump into me at a club as if they were daring me to do something. I think it has something to do with the environment.

The instance I talked about as far as the last fight I was in happened in college. The same guy who started it saw me a few years ago and just put his head down when he walked past. I don’t start trouble. I generally try to avoid it, however, I know for a fact that having some decent size on you reduces the amount of times you are tested for the most part. People generally don’t even start arguments with me and it is noticeable. The funny thing about it is, I’m not a loud guy. I speak my mind, but some people even call me “quiet” simply because I look very serious if I don’t smile all of the time.

You also have to realize that I grew up boxing and doing some minor karate training. I was never “weak” even though I was a skinny kid. I just matured late. I blew up once I got to college and that was pretty much the last time anyone went out of their way to come at me.

[quote]DON D1ESEL wrote:
Not that I don’t respect the question, but the answer is kind of moot. What are we gonna do, limit our gains?[/quote]

Yup, that was my idea. At soon as somebody who doesn’t know you’re working out tells you that you’ve added some size, it’s time to quit building and start maintaining :). No no, I’m asking completly out of curiosity with the answer not at all affecting my future. Kind of like popular science magazines.

Thanks for your response Prof x. I understand what you mean now.

Size and weight doesn’t always equal strength but even less does it represent your ability to be a hardass.

Most people would be scared of anyone who looked unsettled mentally. Like a druggy or something. Rather than a big bastard. The reason dickhead gangstas mite give fear is their willingness to kill you because they’re a bunch of twats who don’t give a shit about humanity. With some huge but genuinely nice guy you know that if you get in a fight with him he mite knock you down but he won’t be the type of guy who takes it too far and tries to kick you to death.

Confidence can scare a lot of people to. If you want to avoid fights then don’t act like a badass but then again if your’re threatened be straight to the point with what you say you will do to the guy if he starts sumthing, all the while maintaining a strangely calm and knowing smile on your face. Like what you would imagine jet li or someone like him to be like. They’d say: ‘listen man i don’t want any trouble but if you keep on bugging me i’m gonna be forced to kick your ass.’

The thug etc… who was trying to start a fight could A) think ’ hum… this guy ain’t even scared of me, he must have a trick or two up his sleeve, better not mess with him.
B) be too dumb to take the hint and lay into you anyway where he will promptly get his ass kicked (if you are actually harder than him that is)

[quote]SinewNotSize wrote:
Size and weight doesn’t always equal strength but even less does it represent your ability to be a hardass.

Most people would be scared of anyone who looked unsettled mentally. Like a druggy or something. Rather than a big bastard. The reason dickhead gangstas mite give fear is their willingness to kill you because they’re a bunch of twats who don’t give a shit about humanity. With some huge but genuinely nice guy you know that if you get in a fight with him he mite knock you down but he won’t be the type of guy who takes it too far and tries to kick you to death.

Confidence can scare a lot of people to. If you want to avoid fights then don’t act like a badass but then again if your’re threatened be straight to the point with what you say you will do to the guy if he starts sumthing, all the while maintaining a strangely calm and knowing smile on your face. Like what you would imagine jet li or someone like him to be like. They’d say: ‘listen man i don’t want any trouble but if you keep on bugging me i’m gonna be forced to kick your ass.’

The thug etc… who was trying to start a fight could A) think ’ hum… this guy ain’t even scared of me, he must have a trick or two up his sleeve, better not mess with him.
B) be too dumb to take the hint and lay into you anyway where he will promptly get his ass kicked (if you are actually harder than him that is)
[/quote]

Oy, another skinny guy who thinks he’s tough because he walks around with a scowl on his face…or the “hey, I’m crazy” look. Makes me laugh every time.

I agree with Prof X’s take on the issue. I was a very lanky(tall and thin) kid throughout my school years. I got into a lot of fights and many were over stupid reasons such as someone wanting to prove their manhood and test me out.

Over the last few years i have added at least 35-40 lbs of weight( i am still skinny for my height in my honest opinion) and have more of a power look. Now i rarely ever get into a fight or argument.

People rarelly call out or test men bigger than them, because the probability of them beating the snot out of you is much higher. There is a reason weight classes exsist even in combat sports.

Of course when you are in an intoxicated state (be it from alcohol, rage, or whatever) you tend not to look at things logically and go for whomever and whatever you can get your hands on.

Must add my pennys worth - one of my best friends is at 6`4 and weighing in at 22.5 stone (although he looked better when he was a leaner 19.5 - dont tell him i said that though!) He has worked doors for ten years now and despite his massive size he always has some incident of a guy being drunk and trying to take him on. Whenever i go out drinking with him in town i am very aware of the looks he gets from groups of guys, because he is huuge people always take a second look but sometimes these looks get uncomfortable and he does get a bit paronoid about it.

At least two or three times guys have had the courage/madness?! to take him on and every time his knocked them out cold (ex-boxer) he always manages to get his bodyweight behind a nice right to their jaw before they know whats happening! The mad thing is he is the nicest guy you could meet and all these incidents were totally unprovoked by him. So to answer your question more muscle less probs - i’d have to say no.

[quote]bomberlow wrote:
So to answer your question more muscle less probs - i’d have to say no. [/quote]

That usually goes, “mo’ money, mo’ problems”, but then, I would rather have more in each of those cases.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
SinewNotSize wrote:
Size and weight doesn’t always equal strength but even less does it represent your ability to be a hardass.

Most people would be scared of anyone who looked unsettled mentally. Like a druggy or something. Rather than a big bastard. The reason dickhead gangstas mite give fear is their willingness to kill you because they’re a bunch of twats who don’t give a shit about humanity. With some huge but genuinely nice guy you know that if you get in a fight with him he mite knock you down but he won’t be the type of guy who takes it too far and tries to kick you to death.

Confidence can scare a lot of people to. If you want to avoid fights then don’t act like a badass but then again if your’re threatened be straight to the point with what you say you will do to the guy if he starts sumthing, all the while maintaining a strangely calm and knowing smile on your face. Like what you would imagine jet li or someone like him to be like. They’d say: ‘listen man i don’t want any trouble but if you keep on bugging me i’m gonna be forced to kick your ass.’

The thug etc… who was trying to start a fight could A) think ’ hum… this guy ain’t even scared of me, he must have a trick or two up his sleeve, better not mess with him.
B) be too dumb to take the hint and lay into you anyway where he will promptly get his ass kicked (if you are actually harder than him that is)

Oy, another skinny guy who thinks he’s tough because he walks around with a scowl on his face…or the “hey, I’m crazy” look. Makes me laugh every time.

[/quote]

Il Cazzo you must be pretty retarded to make that assumption so randomly from my post. I’m guessing your a badass gangster that has taken offence. Soooo scary.

The person most susceptible to injury during muggings is the young adult male apparently, because of the liklihood of him trying to protest. So in the case of a serious assault or mugging the big guy convinced he can take them on because he’s big (and some who have no real reason to be hard, i’m thinking Il Cazzo here) then the big guy is more likely to actually be stabbed or shot whereas the women screeching on the floor with her hands covering her head (also thinking Il cazzo here) is going to survive the situation with just a bit less money.

[quote]SinewNotSize wrote:
The person most susceptible to injury during muggings is the young adult male apparently, because of the liklihood of him trying to protest. So in the case of a serious assault or mugging the big guy convinced he can take them on because he’s big (and some who have no real reason to be hard, i’m thinking Il Cazzo here) then the big guy is more likely to actually be stabbed or shot whereas the women screeching on the floor with her hands covering her head (also thinking Il cazzo here) is going to survive the situation with just a bit less money.[/quote]

How old are you? Just hold up fingers.

The same goes if your really small too! I’m only 5’4 and people don’t give me problems at all, I think it is because they

A.) Don’t want to look like a pussy picking on a smaller person.

B.) Would be really embaressed if they happened to lose to such a small guy.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
SinewNotSize wrote:
The person most susceptible to injury during muggings is the young adult male apparently, because of the liklihood of him trying to protest. So in the case of a serious assault or mugging the big guy convinced he can take them on because he’s big (and some who have no real reason to be hard, i’m thinking Il Cazzo here) then the big guy is more likely to actually be stabbed or shot whereas the women screeching on the floor with her hands covering her head (also thinking Il cazzo here) is going to survive the situation with just a bit less money.

How old are you? Just hold up fingers.[/quote]

You know it’s funny I can count on one hand the number of real fights I’ve ever been in. I’ve never really had any problems in clubs, bars the street. I don’t really consider myself big I’m 260lbs, but I suffer from huge arms (when I was a teenager I worked my biceps every day as a result my arms are bigger than most people)