Muscle Imbalance Help

A question for all of my fellow T-Nationites. I’ve only been training for 5-6 months now total, so I am pretty much a complete newbie when it comes to strength training. The thing is, the maximum amount of weight I can lift in calf isolation excercises, (standing and seated calf raises) far exceeds the amount I use in any other excercise. Using the calculator on exrx.net, I figured my max on these lifts to be right around 470.

For reference, my bench is somewhere around 120-130. Recently I started using CW’s progression on these lifts in his ABBH program, and discovered that while I can pretty easily do full ROM calf raises with 375, it kind of strains my upper back. Should I keep doing these, or should I switch to something else on those days? Is there anything I can do to protect my back from these large loads to which it is not accustomed? Thanks for any help you can give!
-CA

calfs grow fast and thay like reps I would suggest add +10 reps + 2 sets or double pump the rep, toes pointed in , toes pointed out , toes pointed straight…fun fun fun

[quote]Charles Atlas wrote:
Is there anything I can do to protect my back from these large loads to which it is not accustomed?[/quote]

I suggest getting stronger. :wink:

As long as your technique is solid and strict throughout the set, you should be fine. You could try switching movements, from a machine calf raise to a standing barbell calf raise, there won’t be a stretch at the bottom, but you’ll be using more full body support strength and stabilizers, which will dictate using less weight.

[quote]Minotaur wrote:
Charles Atlas wrote:
Is there anything I can do to protect my back from these large loads to which it is not accustomed?

I suggest getting stronger. :wink:

As long as your technique is solid and strict throughout the set, you should be fine. You could try switching movements, from a machine calf raise to a standing barbell calf raise, there won’t be a stretch at the bottom, but you’ll be using more full body support strength and stabilizers, which will dictate using less weight.[/quote]

Thanks Minotaur, I’m already switching between seated and standing, maxing out at the same weight on both. I guess I will just get stronger. It felt better today when I did it. You get some weird ass looks though, when you squat 175 and calf-raise close to 400. :wink: