Muscle Imbalance Cause Knee Pain

OK, what would you do for a client that has been compaining of knee pain. The subject (my father) frequently rides a bike, so I feel that it is caused by an inbalance in strength between his hamstrings and quads. He has never weightlifted before, and has been advised to avoid squatting (??? occupational therepist’s advise) A friend of his that is an occupational therepist agrees with me as to the diagnosis.

I want to come up with a routine, nothing to major, centered around his recovery and hamstring strength. I was thinking of including band kick backs, leg curls, straight legged deadlifts and one legged SLDL’s. Any help would be appreciated.

I’d just like to throw this in there. I had knee problems for awhile which was caused by a strength imbalance. Focusing on my hamstrings definitely did the trick. My knee hasn’t bothered me in months. I mainly did squats, SLDL, good mornings…really anything for the posterior chain.

I will start off by saying that it’s quite possible that most knee pain associated with athletes may have to do with a strength inbalance of quad strength compared to hamstring strength. In a recent study done in the NFL, a very intense program of close-chained hamstring exercises seemed to remedy issues with tendonitis. The theory that supports the way active isolated stretching works applies to this example as well. I have tried this with some athletes with very good results so far, so I believe that there is some merit with this form of a rehab protocol. The key, IMO, is doing heavy RDLs, GMs, and Back Extensions/Glute-Ham raises in lieu of any extension/squat exercises for at least a couple of weeks. After a few weeks, the tendonitis should subside, then a protocol of squating should be added in.

Years ago, I had an imbalance in my right leg that was causing me knee pain. A chiro told me what was wrong and showed me a simple exercise:
Lying flat on my back, I tilted my foot so that my instep was facing upwards; I then lifted my leg about 8-12 inches, keeping the instep up. 3 sets of 10 repetitions, done a few times a day (and I could do them in bed at the start or end of the day), and my adductor (or whatever needed help) was strengthened enough that the knee pain disappeared in a few days.
Had a few recurrences (again, all of this was years ago), and a few sets of that simple leg lift fixed it right away each time.
I can’t imagine that this exercise would damage him, so I suggest trying it for a few days.