Muscle Hypertrophy

Diesel, yet again, you’ve sparked another interesting conversation. However, a few bones to pick, per se, with your understanding of physiology.

Muscle hypertrophy is not necessarily dependent upon ATP, but I think I see your point. It’s indirectly related in that the stimulus can’t be presented. Do I understand you correctly? Actually, muscle hypertrophy seems to be a function of protein synthesis and growth factors (i.e. insulin-like growth factor I).

Another thing, Diesel, is to understand that the body is very efficient at providing energy (i.e. ATP) in the absence of oxygen. Through anaerobic pathways (i.e. anaerobic glycolysis and creatine phosphate), immediate energy can be produced within the cytosol itself. Also, I would say that after about 10-15 seconds of repeated maximal/high-intensity efforts, the CP stores of the muscle cell are relatively depleted. Thus, anaerobic glycolysis predominates from this time.

Just for clarification, Diesel, you meant “aerobic” metabolism (both glycolysis and lipolysis) occurs >5 minutes of repeated exercise.

Restless, I’m not sure I understand your take on hypertrophy being dependent upon muscle glycogen stores. Could you expand? Your other points present sound principles and science.

Diesel, could you possibly share that piece of literature. That’s interesting. Also, don’t forget that capillary density would likely be as important, if not more important, than enhanced mitochondrial density in expediting the process of repleneshing ATP and CP stores.

Now, Diesel, when you talk about increased sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, I can’t imagine that increasing mitochondrial density would provide a significant amount of “muscle size.” Mitochondria are tiny, man! Think about it, endurance athletes are jam-packed with mitochondria, yet muscle hypertrophy is, well, not very evident. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, therefore, would not be due to increased mitochondrial density; rather, it would be due to increased non-functional/non-contractile tissue.

Actually, lactate is converted to glucose via the Cori Cycle in the liver and really is not related to having “scores of mitochondria.”

As mentioned, all the energy systems contribute. However, at the onset of a marathon, it’s not because of the fact that fast-twitch fibers dominate. No, sir. It’s instead due to the fact that there’s a slight oxygen lag. Fast-twitch fibers don’t likely come into play in long-distance endurance events until the slow-twitch fibers are sufficiently fatigued (i.e. near the end of the marathon).

What book, Diesel?

Yes, Diesel, the heart is very efficient at using both lactate and fatty acids for fuel. However, the heart and other muscle groups do not convert lactate into glycogen, or glucose for that matter. As I mentioned earlier, lactate is converted back to glucose by the liver in a process called the Cori Cycle. Also recall that lactate can be converted to pyruvate and thus enter the Krebs Cycle.

Good discussion and keep throwing out theories and thoughts.

Tony,

There are a few different types of periodization, as Bergie alluded to:

1. Linear
  2. Conjugated
  3. Undulating

Linear periodization is the classic style of periodization whence one trains for a specific goal at one time. That is, all your work is geared towards hypertrophy, strength, power, strength/power, or endurance, etc. Undulating periodization, on the other hand, allows the athlete to reduce the intensity, load, volume of exercise during the course of a single training session. As Goldberg mentioned, Conjugated periodization calls for strength training at the beginning of a session, supplemented with higher rep work at the end of that same training session.

Thanks Timbo, do you think it is a good idea to Start off the workout with strength and power and end with higher rep work. Or, do you think it would be smarter to focus a 3-6 week period on strength or hypertrophy and then 3 weeks of muscular endurance. Goldberg what do you think.

On a side note, I tried to post some pics but I think they are too big. Does anyone know how to make them smaller. I took them with a digital camera.

Ton Loc,

There are a couple options here, and it probably depends on your overall goal and your preferential style of lifting.

I’ve been pretty fond of doing strength/power work early in the workout and then finishing with higher rep work, which for me is usually no more than 10-12 reps per set. No matter what, though, your strength and power work should come first in the workout should you decide to opt for a conjugated model.

I don’t see anything wrong with going for a period of 3-6 weeks dedicated primarily to strength and power training, particularly for an athlete, but I would always try to include some lower rep work. That is, I would probably not recommend doing all work with higher reps (i.e. 10+) in the absence of any higher intensity weight training (i.e. <6 RM).

Whenever i alternated phases i went backwards. Some with a mixed muscle fiber makeup might do well but im very high fast twitch so the higher reps did nothing for me.

TonyT, Bompa’s a decent place to start, but his ideas on periodization are pretty outdated at this point. Check out two sources for better info: (1) Charles Staley’s article Periodization that Works and Dave Tate’s two Periodization Bible articles. Both can be found in the T-mag archives.

These two authors will update your knowledge, and believe me, you’ll never go back to the linear stuff again.

And just to clarify what Timbo said a bit, you could also work conjugated periodization by having one workout be for strength and another one (for the same bodypart) for speed, rather than having both strength and speed (or endurance, or whatever) in the same workout. The point is, you have both in the same microcycle and so you get some added benefit without losing whatever you gained before.

Could some one give me an exacte explanation of the cytosol? Thanks. :wink:

tonyt - look in the bottom forum. There is a question about posting .bmp’s and I answered it saying change the size and make them smaller. You can learn how to do it from there.

Char Diggity Dawg, how are you, man! Char’s a little more on the money than I, insofar as the Conjugated model of periodization. This is exemplified nicely by the Westside group. For example, each week is a microcycle and during each week one trains both Maximum effort (i.e. low reps at high intensity) and Dynamic effort (i.e. low reps at high velocities and low intensities), thus fully developing Power.

Arcaine, the cytosol in the myocyte (i.e. muscle cell) is a storage place for nutrients, ions, and waste products. Remember that the cytoplasm of the myocyte is known as the sarcoplasm.

Bumping this up for Diesel to catch some of his thoughts/reactions.

Timbo, thank you very much for correcting me. Like I said, there might be a few glitches in my reasoning and I appreciate the info you presented.

The book in front of me is the German “Fitness and strength training for all sports” as recommended by Charles Poliquin. It goes into good detail on physiology and energy systems.

As for the reference which states atp replenishment is 1-2 mins in trained ahletes and 3-5 mins in untrained individuals, Ill do my very best to find it, but you have to realize i sponed 4-5 hours researching on the net, and have 3 HUGE binders completely filled with articles and books, so the source may escape me. I think I may have pulled it either from the aforementioned book, or from a study on the net, although Im moore inclined towards the first.

Thanks Timbo. Makes sense. :wink:

Diesel,

I’m very glad to see that you’re doing your homework! Realize, my friend, that you’re right now learning and becoming more advanced than most with an undergraduate degree in this field. It’s about making the most of the situation. (Note: this is not meant to decry the current state of education)

Keep up the great drive, Diesel. Continue to question and be open to new ideas and opinions.