T Nation

Muscle Growth While on a Break

I haven’t been to the gym in over a month because of an injury, and in that time all I’ve done is jog and do pushups. its a shoulder-area injury so I’ve been practicing flyes and chest presses with no weights to recover, just moving my arms and concentrating on squeezing and over the past few weeks my chest has gained some size. weird!?!?!? maybe ive stumbled on a new scientific breakthrough and from now on all you need to do is do the movement without weight and you’ll get SWOLE

Hey fatcat, how did you hurt your shoulder?

Maybe the forced break is giving your body the recovery time it needed to actually grow from all the work you’ve been putting it through.

ive been on a 2 week break because i have the mcat this saturday and because my elbow and knee were bugging me. been focusing on pushups and my chest also looks bigger. i think its for 3 reasons:

1. body needed recovery to grow, and now its got it
  2. may have lost some fat (not working out decreases my appetite) and my chest just appears bigger
  3. doing all those pushups just pumps my chest. probably the same thing you are getting with those squeezes you are doing

[quote]905Patrick wrote:
Hey fatcat, how did you hurt your shoulder?

Maybe the forced break is giving your body the recovery time it needed to actually grow from all the work you’ve been putting it through.[/quote]

overdid it on dips. really fucked up for awhile, slowly getting better…

i think the forced break is working for the reason you stated.

this is gonna sound awfully weird but thinking about your muscles contracting can most definitely give it stimulation. think about meditation and how yoga practitioners focus on the air entering the nose and leaving the mouth… just my two cents

the reason the mind-muscle contractions during back workouts work so much better…

Joe