Muscle Groups Once Per Week?

Does anyone train their muscle groups only once per week anymore?

Based on the success of “name brand” programs like DC and BBB amongst forumites and the fact that authors, including CT, rarely seem to prescribe this for bodybuilding anymore suggest that it’s an inefficient way to arrange workouts.

Is anyone currently making progress training like this? Seems like 7 days is a long time to wait before hitting the same body part.

Gee, I have trained like that for years, usually working whatever body part I see as needing more attention twice on average. What’s the problem?

Maybe you should stop following those authors so much and look around you more.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Gee, I have trained like that for years, usually working whatever body part I see as needing more attention twice on average. What’s the problem?

Maybe you should stop following those authors so much and look around you more.[/quote]

I have to agree, I have always trained like that and I’m seeing great gains, or else I would have changed my training mentality. And just so you know, most pro BBS train like that as well (off-season), the only time you repeat muscle groups in the same week is if you’re training calves or abs.

Maybe you should stop following those authors so much and look around you more.[/quote]

Thought I was. When I look to the more successful forum members, most advocate multiple weekly (i.e. > 1session/7days) sessions per body part.

PX, for body parts you want to focus on, meaning accelerate growth relative to the rest of your body, you train multiple times per week. Is there a reason why you don’t arrange your split to cover your entire body twice per week? Seems like what you and everyone else is saying is that more frequency per body part equals more growth.

I switch, but yeah of course!

You will find as you become more developed and are throwing around some really quite large weights you will require more and more rest.

By default.

It may be worth noting that you aren’t obligated to use the 7 day week as a base template, but can use 6 days or 8 or 9.

I often like to do a program where i train my whole body twice in 8 days… 3 on, 1 off.

:wink:

[quote]Buff Sax Dude wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Thought I was. When I look to the more successful forum members, most advocate multiple weekly (i.e. > 1session/7days) sessions per body part.

PX, for body parts you want to focus on, meaning accelerate growth relative to the rest of your body, you train multiple times per week. Is there a reason why you don’t arrange your split to cover your entire body twice per week? Seems like what you and everyone else is saying is that more frequency per body part equals more growth.

[/quote]

Why would I stress my body like that when what I am doing is working and my schedule outside of the gym is what dictates how much time I have to train?

How the hell would I both train one major body part a day as well as train every body part twice a week?

There are only 7 days in a week and it doesn’t make sense for me to train several hours a day when the whole reason I do this is so I can train six days a week and get in and out of the gym quickly?

Professor X wrote:

[/quote]

Recovery. It simply becomes impossible to train with the weights necessary (once you have developed a certain level of strength/tolerance to adaptation) to progress on a frequent basis.

Buff Sax Dude wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Why would I stress my body like that when what I am doing is working and my schedule outside of the gym is what dictates how much time I have to train?

How the hell would I both train one major body part a day as well as train every body part twice a week?

There are only 7 days in a week and it doesn’t make sense for me to train several hours a day when the whole reason I do this is so I can train six days a week and get in and out of the gym quickly?[/quote]

I don’t know. WestSide guys throw around heavy weights using an upper-lower split enabling them to hit everything twice per week in only 4 sessions. I know they are powerlifters, but some of those guys carry a lot of muscle.

Obviously what you’re doing is working for you so it’s not as if I’m suggesting you change for the sake of changing. I was simply curious as to your reasoning for doing what you do.

I work a pretty laborous job and sometimes only workout on sat and sun. Sometimes if I do get a lift or two in during the week, I sometimes regret it as I haul beer for a living. You know kegs and shit can really fuck up your shoulders. I think they should have a under 21 thread so I can just ignore it as they provide no real world advice. Yo prof X I appreciate your posts they really help my motivation. Thanx.

My unscientific fall-back answer is having 2 kids, job etc. there are days when that workout just doesn’t cut it. I like having a second chance to hit something again, if for no other reason than the mental benefit(some would say crutch). I do like to vary intensities between the two session. Whatever works!!!

Professor X wrote:
Buff Sax Dude wrote:
Professor X wrote:

There are only 7 days in a week and it doesn’t make sense for me to train several hours a day when the whole reason I do this is so I can train six days a week and get in and out of the gym quickly?

I don’t know. WestSide guys throw around heavy weights using an upper-lower split enabling them to hit everything twice per week in only 4 sessions. I know they are powerlifters, but some of those guys carry a lot of muscle.

Obviously what you’re doing is working for you so it’s not as if I’m suggesting you change for the sake of changing. I was simply curious as to your reasoning for doing what you do.[/quote]

How many of those guys work 9-10 hours a day doing jobs that require being as near to perfection as possible with every action made?

I believe hitting a muscle group every 5-7 would be best for most people. Thats what I made the most progress on and almost all bodybuilders at my gym train that way.

Infact, they think training bodyparts 2x a week is crazy!

When people talk about training bodyparts 2x a week, they always over look getting a decent PUMP (YEP! oh my god) in that bodypart - Which from what I’ve noticed is very very important for making a muscle larger.

Also every single top bodybuilder has mentioned this at least once at some point!

Splitting up your body so you can hit everything 2x a week along with getting a decent pump/training effect in each bodypart isn’t very convenient.

You’d have to group up at least 1-2 major parts together, so for that day you’d have to split your workout for a training session in the AM, and in the PM (who has time for that?).Or, you would have to spend 2 hours in the gym and end up half-assing at least 1 of those muscle groups.

[quote]twilight wrote:
My unscientific fall-back answer is having 2 kids, job etc. there are days when that workout just doesn’t cut it. I like having a second chance to hit something again, if for no other reason than the mental benefit(some would say crutch). I do like to vary intensities between the two session. Whatever works!!![/quote]

It is about what works…so how has that worked for you? Any pics?

What “works” generally means what got you big. If you aren’t big, then it AIN’T working.

How many of those guys work 9-10 hours a day doing jobs that require being as near to perfection as possible with every action made?

[/quote]

No clue.

Hell, I don’t even have pix on a facebook page. Anyway, I was trying to offer friendly advice to the first guy, not get into a contest with you. I am not huge. I am much larger than I began. Also had abs on my 40th bday last week, so it does work for ME.

Professor X wrote:

No clue.[/quote]

Well, I know I do and my schedule of getting in and out some days in about 45min works for me. It gets me in the gym up to 6 days a week most weeks and I would say that the last 80 or so pounds gained since I started posting here show that it must be working. I don’t change things up for no reason when what I am doing is getting me where I need to be.

[quote]twilight wrote:
Hell, I don’t even have pix on a facebook page. Anyway, I was trying to offer friendly advice to the first guy, not get into a contest with you. I am not huge. I am much larger than I began. Also had abs on my 40th bday last week, so it does work for ME.
[/quote]

I’m glad you had abs at 40. That is very impressive.

However, this IS a bodybuilding forum so what works…is what actually got you somewhere in the ball park of looking like one of them.

Why don’t you try both and see which works best for you? A lot of this shit is trial and error. What worked for X may or may not work for you. Instead of asking for advice, why not seek it out in experience?

Not that im as reliable of a source as prof. x, being just a baby in the lifting world. But im 22 and a senior at butler university. I used to do splits, but for the last 2 1/2 years to 3 years i have been training a bodypart a week. i always do a hard leg day, but often will throw in deadlifts on back day or olympic cleans or olympic snatches on shoulder day so that my legs do get worked a little more than once a week.

i can honestly say this is what has worked best for me in gaining size. i have gone from 215 to 250 in the past 3 years and my lifts have climbed well too. but even tho i only do chest once a week i closegrip when i do triceps. ill do my back hard but also do pullups when i do biceps. ill do back presses on my leg day that work my shoulders or sometimes heavy oly clean & jerks. so i am intentionally working a muscle group once a week but i have aranged my workout in a way that i can touch on each muscle a little extra if i choose to do so.

I’ve made gains doing one body part a week, although lately I’ve been training 5x a week, hitting each muscle group twice a week. Once heavy compounds, and a second lighter isolation work going for a pump. I’ve increased my weight or reps each week and have gained a pound a week. However, I’m very meticilous with my calories – I alway put down at least 3,400 a day.

There’s more than one road to your destination (results) – I believe it comes down to having faith and knowing that the workout split and diet you select will get you results, and allow you to grow. There’s nothing wrong with trying new things either, it’s about fiding what works for YOU.