T Nation

Muscle Groups Once a Week

Whats goin on gents, I’ve been on a push pull legs rest repeat schedule for a while and made some great gains in doing so. The workload from school is now really starting to pick up so I just wanted to hear what people opinion is on hitting each muscle group once a week instead of twice with the push pull legs split (because doing the split takes a lot of time away from what could be used for studying) and still make great gains in muscle. Just wanted to hear what you all have to say about this.
Thanks.

[quote]SAFMG wrote:
Whats goin on gents, I’ve been on a push pull legs rest repeat schedule for a while and made some great gains in doing so. The workload from school is now really starting to pick up so I just wanted to hear what people opinion is on hitting each muscle group once a week instead of twice with the push pull legs split (because doing the split takes a lot of time away from what could be used for studying) and still make great gains in muscle. Just wanted to hear what you all have to say about this.
Thanks.[/quote]

I like both and I’m in a similar boat. the thing is when going from twice a week to once a week first try keeping weekly volume the same but I’m betting that you will eventually need to increase weekly volume a little more since your frequency is staying the same.

for instance lets say you were hitting 6 sets for chest 2 times a week when you went to once a week you would do 1 chest workout with 12 total sets and as time went on I’d increase to 15+ sets since you have much more time for recovery

So were you training 6x/week, and now you wish to drop to 4 or 5x/week?

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]SAFMG wrote:
Whats goin on gents, I’ve been on a push pull legs rest repeat schedule for a while and made some great gains in doing so. The workload from school is now really starting to pick up so I just wanted to hear what people opinion is on hitting each muscle group once a week instead of twice with the push pull legs split (because doing the split takes a lot of time away from what could be used for studying) and still make great gains in muscle. Just wanted to hear what you all have to say about this.
Thanks.[/quote]

I like both and I’m in a similar boat. the thing is when going from twice a week to once a week first try keeping weekly volume the same but I’m betting that you will eventually need to increase weekly volume a little more since your frequency is staying the same.

for instance lets say you were hitting 6 sets for chest 2 times a week when you went to once a week you would do 1 chest workout with 12 total sets and as time went on I’d increase to 15+ sets since you have much more time for recovery[/quote]
I just started doing this and it has been working pretty well. The number of worksets I hit for each body part per week are similar, but I’m doing more at once. I like higher frequency but I still think it’s possible to make great progress as long as I’m increasing my weights/reps.

Would you be open to making a program that’s only 4 days a week but still has a 2x a week frequency? Because there are quite a bit out there; heck maybe even DC training would work for you?

A B A workouts

You might want to consider doing 2 push/pull combination workouts per week and then do a leg workout. You could also consider doing push/pull combination workouts and leg workouts and rotating them.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
So were you training 6x/week, and now you wish to drop to 4 or 5x/week? [/quote]
Yeaa bro, I was working 6x per week with the push pull legs schedule. But cuzz of the school workload needa figure something out.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]SAFMG wrote:
Whats goin on gents, I’ve been on a push pull legs rest repeat schedule for a while and made some great gains in doing so. The workload from school is now really starting to pick up so I just wanted to hear what people opinion is on hitting each muscle group once a week instead of twice with the push pull legs split (because doing the split takes a lot of time away from what could be used for studying) and still make great gains in muscle. Just wanted to hear what you all have to say about this.
Thanks.[/quote]

I like both and I’m in a similar boat. the thing is when going from twice a week to once a week first try keeping weekly volume the same but I’m betting that you will eventually need to increase weekly volume a little more since your frequency is staying the same.

for instance lets say you were hitting 6 sets for chest 2 times a week when you went to once a week you would do 1 chest workout with 12 total sets and as time went on I’d increase to 15+ sets since you have much more time for recovery[/quote]
I just started doing this and it has been working pretty well. The number of worksets I hit for each body part per week are similar, but I’m doing more at once. I like higher frequency but I still think it’s possible to make great progress as long as I’m increasing my weights/reps.[/quote]
You’ve still been seeing the same gains with hitting each muscle group once a week? If I was to do so, a sample workout I would do would be; using chest as the muscle group that day:

Flat Dumbell press:4 Sets, 8-10 reps-Supset with Flies 8-12 reps
Incline Dumbell Press:4 Sets, 8-10 reps-Superset with Incline Flies 8-12 reps
4 Sets of pushups until failure

Thats just an example of something I would be doing. Just taking the Chest part out of my push workout.

[quote]SAFMG wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
So were you training 6x/week, and now you wish to drop to 4 or 5x/week? [/quote]
Yeaa bro, I was working 6x per week with the push pull legs schedule. But cuzz of the school workload needa figure something out.[/quote]

Stick with push/pull/legs, but up the volume a little bit on each day. Train 4 days/week, cycling push, then pull, then legs. No reason to stray from a split that’s been successful for ya.

So example, week 1 would be like:
M: push
T: pull
Th: legs
F: push

Week 2:
M: pull
T: legs
Th: push
F: pull

etc…etc…

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]SAFMG wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
So were you training 6x/week, and now you wish to drop to 4 or 5x/week? [/quote]
Yeaa bro, I was working 6x per week with the push pull legs schedule. But cuzz of the school workload needa figure something out.[/quote]

Stick with push/pull/legs, but up the volume a little bit on each day. Train 4 days/week, cycling push, then pull, then legs. No reason to stray from a split that’s been successful for ya.

So example, week 1 would be like:
M: push
T: pull
Th: legs
F: push

Week 2:
M: pull
T: legs
Th: push
F: pull

etc…etc…[/quote]
I was doing push pull legs rest repeat. Whats you opinion on doing it that way?

[quote]SAFMG wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]SAFMG wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
So were you training 6x/week, and now you wish to drop to 4 or 5x/week? [/quote]
Yeaa bro, I was working 6x per week with the push pull legs schedule. But cuzz of the school workload needa figure something out.[/quote]

Stick with push/pull/legs, but up the volume a little bit on each day. Train 4 days/week, cycling push, then pull, then legs. No reason to stray from a split that’s been successful for ya.

So example, week 1 would be like:
M: push
T: pull
Th: legs
F: push

Week 2:
M: pull
T: legs
Th: push
F: pull

etc…etc…[/quote]
I was doing push pull legs rest repeat. Whats you opinion on doing it that way?[/quote]

I’m not sure why that’s relevant. You said you wanted to cut back to training 4x/week, I gave you an option. Why are you asking about your previous split if you aren’t going to be doing it anymore?