T Nation

Muscle Gain

hey im a pretty skinny guy my fitness goal is to actually see my abs and bulk up at the same time. I was wondering what i kind of diet i should follow to do this and when i should eat a really big meal and when to eat a small meal. Would intermittent fasting work as well to accomplish this?

Follow the diet that allows you to stay consistent and hit your target macros. If it includes lots of vegetables and good foods with micronutrients that’s even better.

Do some basic searches around the site for some nutrition ideas, there are plenty of articles and links… Unfortunately I do not know of any of the top of my head though… You just need to stick to a few basic lay out rules and you will be good… Make sure you just eat in a bit of excess of whatever you burn. If you are new to working out or coming after time off you will usually be trimming some fat while gaining some muscle anyways, at least for a short time until it comes into the traditional cut bulk cycles.

Incredible generic “forum sheep” post. You could simply have said “hey OP, you want the optimal diet for you? well simply follow the optimal diet for you. If it has healthy stuff in it then even better”

The “allows you to stay consistent” bit was the only useful bit. Now tell him what his “target macros” are/should be.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
Follow the diet that allows you to stay consistent and hit your target macros. If it includes lots of vegetables and good foods with micronutrients that’s even better.[/quote]

[quote]Depression Boy wrote:
Incredible generic “forum sheep” post. You could simply have said “hey OP, you want the optimal diet for you? well simply follow the optimal diet for you. If it has healthy stuff in it then even better”

The “allows you to stay consistent” bit was the only useful bit. Now tell him what his “target macros” are/should be.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
Follow the diet that allows you to stay consistent and hit your target macros. If it includes lots of vegetables and good foods with micronutrients that’s even better.[/quote]
[/quote]
Who made you the fucking sheriff around here?

Why don’t you tell him, wise ass?

Ok I will grace him with all possible responses, since you asked politely.

Response 1 (sheep) : “track your macros” with “clean” and “healthy” food and train “optimally” for your goals, while making sure you stay at an “optimal” body composition.
Interpretation : Make sure you follow all the latest buzzwords being thrown around by the posters with the best-looking selfies on here, since I currently don’t.

Reponse 2 (anti-guru) : Ever thought of reading one of the thousands of high quality nutrition/training articles written on this site? I’m astonished by the sheer laziness shown by people here. If you struggle to apply basic diet and training principles, then maybe consider hiring someone, out of the many fitness professionals who post on this site?
Interpretation : Hire me or at least “like me” on Facebook.

Response 3 (Current beloved poster/hidden guru) My personal experience has been that being able to train “intelligently” with “appropriate” pre and post-workout nutrition has always allowed me to make “quality” progress while never getting too far out of my body fat comfort zone.
Interpretation : Hire me to find out what that means.

Should I add the “531 fan”, the “IFBB hopeful pondering G4P” and the “forum permabulker”'s responses next or will that be it?

[quote]alin wrote:

[quote]Depression Boy wrote:

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
[/quote]
Who made you the fucking sheriff around here?

Why don’t you tell him, wise ass?[/quote]

Response 4: Eat big to get big.
Interpretation: Eat whatever you want, so long as it is in large quantities. Never mind fat gain because fat is easy to lose.
Outcome: Regret and tons of fat to lose.

Depression Boy,

I guess you didn’t like my post. Let me clarify:

1. the op tells us nothing about his personal life and likes and dislikes
  2. or training stats or how much muscle he intends to gain
  3. he wants to gets gains and see his abs at the same time

I’m a little lost on giving him more concrete advice, since there aren’t any concrete facts.

And about my post, your interpretation is incorrect. I’ll clarify again:

The macro makeup of a diet is important but not worth a damn if you can not stay consistent and adhere to the diet. Consistency is also important because it allows you to make small incremental changes weeks at a time. It’s my experience that diet which includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, rice, oats will improve eating habits and keep your appetite healthy (eating more junk food leads to a downward spiral of more cravings). It’s also my belief that phytonutrients - while maybe not so necessary for training and won’t effect body composition as much - will help you live a longer and healthier life.

It gets harder to give good solid advice beyond this since we know nothing about the op other than he wants gains. Maybe that’s why there weren’t any responses to begin with besides mine, another, and your awesome attack post.