Muscle Functionality vs. Size

I have been studying for exams recently and thus haven’t had much time to read this site. However, in the few articles/posts that I have read I have noticed the recurrance with the topic of evolution, and how we as humans have not evolved to lift slow and specify body parts. I understand and agree with this completley, however, my question for all the members out there is this:

If you were strictly a physique competitor, and you made a living off of the size of your muscles, not thier functionality, would it make sense to go against the grain of evolution in an attempt to get the body to adapt to the imposed demand (S.A.I.D.) of slow lifting among other less functional methods in an attempt to spur new muscle growth?

I am not saying this is what I believe, rather, this is just a question that came to me and I would be interested to hear any responses that the qualified and unqualified alike in this field have.

Cheers,

Tags

The prime ingredient with mass is variety so you shouldn’t stick to a single lifting tempo. Besides, it’s not like slow tempo brings tremendous gains compared to fast lifting. Hell, what about medium controlled lifts?

Furhtermore fast-twitch fibers are the ones with most growth capability so it’s essential that fast lifting be incorporated at certain points. I personaly go from “controlled medium-speed” to a “fast smooth rythmic” to “explosive” tempos for the most part. Really slow lifting is meaningless in my book.

Right on, w2097! Great answer!

Tages:

I have always brought the weight up in an explosive manner and lowered it slower under complete control.
This seems the safest (can’t train or gain when you are injured) and best way to gain muscle size that I have seen.

If you lift in this manner and vary your exercises every six to eight weeks I think you can continue to make gains into your forties (I have) and maybe even beyond.

If you want to experiment with slo mo I think that’s a great idea. However, here is what I have found. When I train slo mo I have to reduce the weight. I also find it difficult to go back to the same wieghts I was using after even a four week session of slo mo. Maybe that doesn’t matter to many, I didn’t like it. Slow motion did increase my size somewhat.

The older I get the more I realize that everything works for a while. I had a session a while back where we just wrote several movements down on little slips of paper put them in a box and drew them out blindly. Sounds crazy but we were beat the next day and sore for 48 hours (in some areas). Most importantly. it was fun!

The best thing to do is experiment. What works best for someone else might not work for you, and vice versa.

Thanks for the responses so far guys but I think I may have worded my question a bit wrong. The slow lifting example was just that, an example. I do not lift slow nor have any interest in lifting slow with light weights for high reps or anything else. My main question though was if pure muscle size was a goal, would it not make sense to go against the grain of our evolutionary past, at least until our body adapts fully?

Tags

[quote]Tags wrote:
Thanks for the responses so far guys but I think I may have worded my question a bit wrong. The slow lifting example was just that, an example. I do not lift slow nor have any interest in lifting slow with light weights for high reps or anything else. My main question though was if pure muscle size was a goal, would it not make sense to go against the grain of our evolutionary past, at least until our body adapts fully?

Tags[/quote]

I think the key is to do “whatever” until the body adapts. Then be smart enough to change. This is an ongoing never ending cycle, if you are going to continue to make gains.

And also you aren’t really going against evolution because we have muscle fibers suited for different tempos, weight ranges, endurance levels etc. This is adaptation rather than evolution. Taining in one tempo will adapt your body for that specific tempo. Since Fast-twitch fibers are the ones that can really grow, the majority of your workouts for mass should be fast-rythmic or explosive on the eccentric phase(lifting up part).

The only time I go slow is when the weight is heavy. But even then, I’m going as fast as possible on the concentric.