Muscle Fiber Typing w/ Counter Movement

One of the tests for generalized muscle fiber typing Thib uses is the counter movement of the vertical jump. I’m sure some of you are familiar with this. I think my counter jump is past half squat. That means I’m predominantly slow twitch. One thing that doesn’t make sense is the fact that I can broad jump 10’1" on a normal day. That’s not an epic broad jump but it’s probably average for freshman defensive backs in ncaa div 1 so I’m in rare air as far as average 23 year old dudes are concerned. YAY! moral victory for me!!!

Now you could talk about weightlifting.

what do you mean by counter jump?

[quote]Wrah wrote:
Now you could talk about weightlifting.[/quote]

I think this applies to weight lifting. If I’m shown to have a fast twitch dominant muscle fiber type my potential to be a good olympic lifter is higher.

[quote]RomanianRock wrote:
what do you mean by counter jump?
[/quote]

you know the 1/4-1/2 squat before vertical jumping.

[quote]darkhorse1-1 wrote:

[quote]Wrah wrote:
Now you could talk about weightlifting.[/quote]

I think this applies to weight lifting. If I’m shown to have a fast twitch dominant muscle fiber type my potential to be a good olympic lifter is higher.[/quote]

Show me proof behind this idea.

Do you really think you can tell the composition of your body by how deep you bend your knees before jumping?

That is the most bro-sciencey broscience I have ever heard published in the broscience bullshit journal of broscience.

Did i mention that its broscience?

First of all I will tell you i bend deeply too before jumping, was a college long jumper, have a 38 inch vert, over 10 ft standing lj, am getting into weightlifing, and was a sprinter that would beat 10.6 100m runners out the blocks through 10m, and then get crushed because i was all explosive and not enough speed/sprint endurance. If anything it would be height, the shorter you are, the deeper you bend your knees in terms of angles.

In conclusion, just stop it. Stop thinking this way, and pick up some goddamn weights. Next thing you know people are gonna be bringing up lean body mass calculators to determine your fast twitch potential

I think my counter jump is past half squat. That means I’m predominantly slow twitch.[/quote]

seems legit. next i shall calculate your iq through adding the numbers present in your username.

[quote]Kooopa wrote:

I think my counter jump is past half squat. That means I’m predominantly slow twitch.[/quote]

seems legit. next i shall calculate your iq through adding the numbers present in your username.[/quote]

fuck off

[quote]@JC_Tree_Trunks wrote:
Do you really think you can tell the composition of your body by how deep you bend your knees before jumping?

That is the most bro-sciencey broscience I have ever heard published in the broscience bullshit journal of broscience.

First of all I will tell you i bend deeply too before jumping, was a college long jumper, have a 38 inch vert, over 10 ft standing lj, am getting into weightlifing, and was a sprinter that would beat 10.6 100m runners out the blocks through 10m, and then get crushed because i was all explosive and not enough speed/sprint endurance. If anything it would be height, the shorter you are, the deeper you bend your knees in terms of angles.

In conclusion, just stop it. Stop thinking this way, and pick up some goddamn weights. Next thing you know people are gonna be bringing up lean body mass calculators to determine your fast twitch potential[/quote]

Is broscience a technical term?
It goes to show that every piece of literature written about training is a bunch of disinformation from sources competing for the same business. If Thib the all knowing prodigy of Tnation can be proved incorrect then you can’t trust anything you read anywhere about training. I think I’m going to stop reading about training because there is no research building on a paradigm. Books and articles on training are worthless. It’s one big cluster fuck with everyone going off in different directions. There’s no hard evidence for anything. Even the NSCA doesn’t publish legit journal articles. Their shit is one big cluster fuck with all their author’s conclusions going off in different directions too. I must not be connected well enough in society or I pissed everyone off and they’re keeping the truth from me.

There are a bunch of articles out there on tnation that say you’ll burn muscle before fat. Last week Ripitoe published an article saying how the body doesn’t get rid of training adaptations that are metabolically expensive. That’s pretty fucking conflicting. Fuck science. You intellectuals are all a bunch of squabbling douches.

Someone show me some sound evidence of something.

Next reply will be some asshole saying “the sound evidence is that you’re a retard”.

“the sound evidence is that you’re a retard” and likely having a Schizophrenic rant. I am kidding about the you being a retard, but that sounds like one of your Schizophrenic rants.

In conclusion, just stop it. Stop thinking this way, and pick up some goddamn weights. Next thing you know people are gonna be bringing up lean body mass calculators to determine your fast twitch potential[/quote]

This is a joke right? You’re pretty much worthless if you don’t have enough endurance to sprint 100 meters.

This is a joke right? You’re pretty much worthless if you don’t have enough endurance to sprint 100 meters. [/quote]

You responded to my post for the 2nd time and this was still all you could come up with? I gave you a real response from a real lifter, if you want someone to suck up to you and say “oh geez bro ur right, you are doing amazing for a slow twitch athlete, geezus”

Then I believe you are out of luck. Maybe post this in the misc of bodybuilding.com and you’ll fit in just fine

I’m must curious about how this conclusion was come to.
Did they do muscle biopsies to determine fiber type?

No one here cares what your broad jump is and estimating muscle types by trying to measure your own leg angles is a fool’s errand. Your original post just sounds like a boast.
JC_tree_trunks is spot on, stop thinking like this and go pick up some weights; it’ll be a much better use of your time and you won’t get ripped on so much.
BTW JC never said he didn’t have the endurance to finish the 100m just not to win it, you really are retarded if you didn’t understand that.

I squat deep and jump.

Right after a sunday nighy curry hits, the splash back can be quite severe!

Why did this have to turn into a bunch of ridiculous insults?

I think “how far you have to dip down to get optimal height” is a pretty fine way of judging your power. Think about it.

Look at videos of all the various freaks and see how far they dip before jumping or other things of that sort. Also try jumping out of a full squat vs whatever you would do now and see which one ends up working better for you…

True or not, it’s interesting anyway.

This is a joke right? You’re pretty much worthless if you don’t have enough endurance to sprint 100 meters. [/quote]

You responded to my post for the 2nd time and this was still all you could come up with? I gave you a real response from a real lifter, if you want someone to suck up to you and say “oh geez bro ur right, you are doing amazing for a slow twitch athlete, geezus”

Then I believe you are out of luck. Maybe post this in the misc of bodybuilding.com and you’ll fit in just fine[/quote]

I wasn’t really looking for someone to blow sunshine up my ass. I was more trying to say how far I broad jump as a measure of quick twitch ability and how it didn’t quite go along with me being slow twitch. I’m happy with my broad jump and I said that. I think my broad jump is good for a guy like me. That doesn’t matter though. What I was really getting at is that it doesn’t make sense that I can come close to what elite athletes do. I think RGIII broad jumped 10’6 at the combine. You know he’s probably an 11’ jumper because that was on field turf, but whatever. Like always though Tnation turns out to be a box of assholes and I can’t get a legit answer.

Why would an elite coach- someone that’s coached thousands of elite athletes put it in a book if it was a bunch of bullshit?

What’s a real lifter? Sounds like a bullshit term. What you can snatch 3x what I do so you’re a real lifter? okay brah whatever you say. I don’t need the recognition of a bunch of anonymous assholes on the internet.

My bad dudes. I was just hoping for an intelligent conversation. Gotta love trolls though.

All of the vets must have second accounts and they fuck with people like me that don’t know everything about steroids/do steroids, have at least a 600lb deadlift or can’t snatch at least 150kg. They gotta weed out the weak from tnation. They gotta keep it strong. “We don’t allow little dicks on Tnation. If you got a little dick we don’t want to hear about. We only want to hear about big dicks. If you have a little dick lie about it. If you’re not an Alpha Male and haven’t banged more bitches than God lie about it and say you are or we will cut your pathetic skinny little throat one day while you’re front squatting your pathetic little 255lbs”.

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
I’m must curious about how this conclusion was come to.
Did they do muscle biopsies to determine fiber type?[/quote]

Christian Thibadaeu said it in The Black Book of Training Secrets. He didn’t back it up he just said it. I don’t know why he didn’t back it up. I guess I’m supposed to take the word of a digital book I got through questionable means. I don’t know if they did muscle biopsies or not. I was hoping someone on Tnation would be more knowledgeable than me on the topic. I thought it might be something olympic lifters would know about since they are all quick twitch. But no. It’s a bunch of dumbasses that want to flame eachother. I sent some flames too and I apologize. But everyone shits on me and doesn’t actually want to discuss things.

I find this is interesting, the only oly lifts I use when I train people is the clean, I’ve noticed some kids touch the weight to the floor, and others just need a slight dip. if the two lifters are the same size,hoisting the same weight, this theroy might be right. I don’t know what you’d do with this, but it’s interesting. where does Thib’s talk about this.