Muscle Fiber Types and Hypertrophy

Hello T-Nation. I em the new among you,
and I feel very gratefull to be able to write here.
Basically from some time I read on hear for the Type I fibers and Type IIa, IIb that bodybuilders mostly hyperthropy the type I! Is this true, and that type IIa, IIb can take characteristics of type I basically u need to train heavy with maximum force even if it’s not your 1rep max.
The second question is that hyperthropy are 2 types
Miofibrilar and sarcoplasmic so to stimulate muscle growth is this type of workout gonna be efficient 1st week heavy work from 6-8 reps basic compound movements 2nd week 8-12 reps with some isolation exercise and 3rd week 12-16 reps with methods (drop sets, supersets, rest pause)
For a junior up to 75 kg class or I need a more specific training plan for my height 1.69cm and body composition I can upload pictures if needed thank u :slight_smile: t-nation for the opportunity to ask the big guys.

Is no one interested in this discussion

We here at TNation really appreciate the use of punctuation. Without it, we have a difficult time following.

4 Likes

Fibers can adapt or be conditioned but will always be I iia or iib. There are some that can change but that’s genetic.

If I were you I’d stick to each rep range for 2-3 weeks then switch it up. Give an update.

1 Like

@dchris I’m sorry, I will correct everything later :slight_smile:

@Zack_Morris Well, I tried 2 weeks heavy lifting in the rep range of 6-10 reps. Followed by , a week of lighter weight (20% from the heavy week or so) about 12-15 reps.
The thing I feel different is, that with the lighter weight after 2-3 sets it starts to feel even heavyear then the heavy week. I start to struggle to get 12 good reps witch has, a nice fealing! But after that my nervous system is, a bit stressed out.

Those low rep ranges and heavy weight will fry your nervous system. Even now are you surviving the workout or dominating it?

If you are committed to hypertrophy dial back the weights and do SLOW reps. 2-3sec down, slow up. Train for the pump. Its much less taxing. Its more sarco hypertrophy but that’s the trade off.

What is your lifting routine? What’s your height and weight?

@dlekov - I think you may be overthinking your programming. Certainly many, many ways to train, IMO you can’t beat a standard bodybuilding style program, starting with some compound/heavy movements, and moving to isolation exercises as the session continues. I think doing an entire week of low reps, then medium, then high, wouldn’t be good for the CNS overall. Hitting all of the rep ranges throughout each session always works over time.

Additionally, I can’t imagine you’d even be able to assess the success of a program like the one you mentioned without running it for 4-6 months, compared to a more standard protocol.

2 Likes

This has been discussed to death on various form.

Look up Waterbury Méthod"

@Zack_Morris
If I have to be honest I do prefer the heavyear week I feel better over all in the lifts, by the way I do only 10 working sets for a muscle 5 exercises with 2 work sets or 4 exercises
The split I use is
Chest,biceps
Legs
Rest
Delta,triceps
Rest
Back
Rest and repeat. For the legs I do 12-14 working sets

@robstein
So it would be better to to do 2 or 3 basic compound movements and 2 isolating with higher reps, to not stress my CNS system to much.
I try to use the method of using smart failure, to protect my CNS and it gives some frute not to burn it. I’ve tried it for the course of 2months now and I do feel, a bit tired on rest days when I wake up , but rather than that I feel good .

@JFG Thank u I’m gonna check it out.

By the way I train in the scheme of 2 weeks heavy and 1 week light ! The top one is for a discussion to try it out after your feedback.

You do not have to train heavy, as in near to your 1RM. Executing a rep with the intent to accelerate, i.e, maximal force without sacrificing contraction of the target muscle regardless of the weight used will maximally recruit most fibers. Think about sprinters. If the amount of resistance used is the sole factor for fast twitch fiber recruitment, they would be using mostly slow twitch fibers while sprinting.

The other way would be going to failure without maximally accelerating each rep. Regardless of the load used, most fibers will be activated once you reach failure as long as you know how to activate the tatget muscle in the first place(mmc). This is the body’s survival mechanism.

Using maximal acceleration, you can avoid taking too many sets to failure since the objective is to recruit and fatigue all the muscle fibers. If you are too fatigued from your workouts, perhaps this may be the way to go.[quote=“dlekov, post:1, topic:225583”]
The second question is that hyperthropy are 2 types Miofibrilar and sarcoplasmic so to stimulate muscle growth is this type of workout gonna be efficient 1st week heavy work from 6-8 reps basic compound movements 2nd week 8-12 reps with some isolation exercise and 3rd week 12-16 reps with methods (drop sets, supersets, rest pause)
[/quote]

Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy occurring disproportionately from skeletal muscle growth is just a theory. It has never been proven. What we experience from dropsets and high reps can simply be transient fluid retention in the muscle. Chasing a pump with these intensity methods does have value but I doubt it has anything to do with sarcoplasmic hyperyrophy.

Good info here! Thanks for sharing guys.

@dt79 so basically @robstein 's method is preferred for building muscle. I also read an article by Amit Sapir (How I finally got muscles to grow 1-2-3 phase) witch advocates the same approach for building muscle mass as the one I talked about in the begining , so I get confused.

I broke down and explained the points above so you do not overthink this. There is no problem following a credible coach’s program as long as you can handle the volume and intensity. You said you are having problems with recovery so I gave you an idea of how to balance them.

Anything you do with sufficent effort is going to bring you results as long as you dedicate equal attention to all bodyparts. Tolerance to intensity and volume is individual. This is where you must find what works for YOU by applying the basic principles of training. To apply the basics, you must understand what is important and what isn’t so you can cut out all the noise and redundant things that cause you to focus on minor things without looking at the big picture.

1 Like