Muscle/Fat Loss While Cutting

The point I was making, and what you appear to have missed, is that the higher rep culture was reinforced by linear periodization models advocated by people like Tudor Bompa - who recommended very high rep training in this phase - not exactly broscience per se.

The reason I think these type of models were in vogue (some folks still swear by them) is that this new stimulus, following a long period working in lower rep ranges, actually yielded some hypertrophy effect. This seems to makes further sense when you consider the link between higher lactate production and increase in growth hormone production (which, coincidently, also leads to greater fat burning).

The wrong conclusion to jump to at this stage is that you need to follow this macro cycle to ‘cut’. As has been said many times, the criticism of linear periodization models is that you start to lose the training effect of each macro cycle, e.g. strength, when you move on to the next one. That’s why we have refined versions, which includes daily undulating periodization.

So not lifting heavy when you’re on a cut almost defies common sense. What is more practical is short phases where you vary intensity to take advantage of the factors mentioned. Take a look at CT’s ‘Fastest Way to Get Jacked’ for one example.

Hopefully, this has cleared up my point!!!

1 Like