Muscle Cars

Dude, get off of your politally correct high horse! Get real, its just a figure of speech. Btw just so you know, I own a “rice burner” and love it. Also, my girlfriend is Filipina so don’t gimme that racist bullshit. Out.

'68 Shelby Corbra. I’m sorry is the shit!

Just bought an 88 formula 350 TPI. Hauls ass. I love it.

yeah, I like cars w/ 8 cylinders, like God intended.

Muscle cars are nice but the new “rice burners” as someone put it are a sign of the times. Gas is an non-renewable resource and has gone up in price. Gas guzzlers are dinosaurs soon to be extinct. I beleive this is a good thing when considering the future of our children and the environment.

Recently restored a 67 stingray convertible for my uncle. All original except engine. Pulled the L88 427 and replaced it with a ZL1 427(same engine, but much lighter–aluminum). Will pack the front wheels in first three gears w/street slicks. Bring on the old Mach 1 mustangs! The only mustang to have is the GT500. Demo girl, if you think the vette is a boat, you need to take a ride in my buddies old 59 Caddy. That thing is soooooooooo loooooooooong. I am kind of partial to the old shoebox cars. Had a 57 bel air from 13 yo to when I had to sell it to finish up college. I want a 66 chevelle SS or another 57. I will have to settle for my HD Road King Classic for now. Wife says can’t buy anything for a while, baby on the way!

Personally i dont like Muscle cars. Give me a Nissan Skyline GTR, Toyota Supra, EVO, WRX any day over the old muscle cars. Fact is most are just made for straight line speed and even then they would struggle to beat a manual “Ricer”. What about in the wet? How would you drive them in the wet?
Laz, step inside a GTR and tell me that it sounds stupid. That thing is a rocket and is legendary worldwide (except maybe for U.S). As far as i am concerned, GODZILLA rocks!!!
Just my opinion.

It was the quality of the “rice burners” that caused the American car companies to wake up and realize that they could not continue to build and market the crap they were selling as cars from the mid 70’s through the mid 80’s. So be proud man. BTW I am from Arkansas and they grow a hell of a lot of rice around where i came from.

It is sad at the proliferation of Toyota Corrolas and Honda Preludes in our society today. Hey, isn’t it fishy that the striking increase in these wimp mobiles and the striking increase in wimpy people happened at the same time? A government plot perhaps…
As I blast down I-285 here in Atlanta in my GT Mustang, I can’t help but want a REAL muscle car to help me out in our aweful traffic jams; an 800 HP turbine powered M-1 Abrams, ahh, now thats cruisin.

I have two of them, plus the burning desire for another. I just love them, and they add much pleasure to my life … girls still love hot cars … maybe, because they know the drivers have a testosterone overload!!! I live in Canada & we have plenty muscle-cars here. But, your right, not 1/2 as many as I seen two-three years back. I don’t know who stole them all? Maybe the Aliens? Or have they all been sent over to China? Please bring them back. Talk about that testosterone…man, the rumble of a hot car must increase my levels by 1000% They just don’t make things like they did in the past…It’s a shame.

As you can see by my handle I have a 66 barracuda with a very modified 340 in it.It looks like a granny car but it runs 10.80’s in the quarter mile and shakes the ground when it runs.I prefer old cars but you gotta give the rice guys credit for how fast they are making those things. But take it easy on the height of the wings and the size of the exhaust tips.

you missed the point, man… The cars years past are not expected to compete w/ the machines of today, even though they can. Take any old datsun(sp?) before they became nissan, you know the ones im talkin about, the old 70s ones. See how well that bad boy competes w/ anything from todays performance league. you are comparing apples and oranges… and one thing that really gets my goat is saying that muscle cars cant handle. Yes they can, with the proper suspension and modifications. stock, no, they would roll or slide like a mother. but what do you expect from production technology over 3 decades old? yeah, the modded grocery getters of today cook and handle, but they just dont have the aw inspiring presence that a growling cuda or mustang or ss have. and i hate exhaust tips… makes it sound like your car just got a bad burrito from taco bell…

Well I guess cars are matter of personal preferance. However, good handling is more than just chopping the suspension out and stuffing big tyres under the guards, it involves having a car with genuine balance. This is something that muscle-cars tend to lack. Fast in a straight line does not always mean fun.
But i can see where you are coming from when you say muscle cars have presence. They do, but i just love Japanese cars. They are very fast, hanlde great, very reliable (even with their turbos), relatively cheap, and with a few modifications you can have a road rocket. Look at the Nissan Skyline GTR for example, only a 6 cylinder, 2.6 litre engine, but you can get over 1000hp out of it.

Balancing out an old beast isnt that hard… But I agree, what is being done w/ the smaller engines is a marvel of engineering.

I did not mean to rant as much as I did. Just a morsel of info, those rice burners are made in the good ole USA. So they should be called hamburger burners.

I think old muscle cars are quite overrated. My dad talks about his old cars like they could all do 10sec quarters. Yea Right. Dig up some old issues of Motortrend and you will see what many of them were actully capable of. A Nissan Altima or similar sedan of today could waste most of them. My dad also seems to forget that prior to 1972 all horsepower ratings were SAE Gross and opposed to current SAE Net measurements. He is always bragging about how his chevelle had 340 ponies or something like it.
The muscle cars handling seems to be quite poor compared to todays suspension setups. I drove a friend’s '70 chevelle and the vehicle understeered and exhibited such body roll that I scraped the passenger door handle on the curb.
I prefer the looks of late 50’s early 60’s sedans and coupes. I think most of the “muscle cars” of the late 60’s/early 70’s have quite bulbous rear ends. There is just way to much ass on those cars.

I think the current movement in sports cars is moving away from V8 rwd drive coupes. Small subcompacts are taking over the segment. Althought the arrival of the new Pontiac GTO in '04 does look promising. It is supposedly modeled after the Holden Monaro down in Oz. That car looks quite nice with decent performance.

AAAHHHHH!!! my ‘94 SC400. I live in central NJ and nothing…NOTHING is funnier than blowing away tricked out rice rockets driven by 18 y o baddass-wanna bees. I love watchin’ their estrogen count skyrocket when I pull up next to their space-shuttle loud Honda Civic coupe with a HUGE spoiler, Japanese writing decals on the front and rear windows ('cause huge Japanese decals increase horsepower by 28%) and glowing underbody lights. I’ll smile at their girlfriend, tap the gas and watch in my rear-view as rice-boy morphs into a little estrobitch behind the wheel. ROLFMAO. Check out Http://www.riceboypage.com/ for a real laugh. Ciao, t-dudes…

I think all the muscle cars died. That’s why you don’t see many of them. Make way for the imports. And I don’t mean rice burners (Honda). I’m talking about turbocharged cars that easily run 8-12-second quarter miles (Supra, MR2, WRX, EVO, Skyline, RX7, Mitsu GSX, etc).

Speed, yes. All out cock & balls, no. There is just something about a Detroit 350 or 454 (I’m GM prejudiced, leave it alone Avoids :)) with glass pacs that sounds and swaggers like nothing Europe or Asia can produce. Yeah, a Lamborghini is a fast, beautiful car, but to me they all sound like high revved lawn mowers (and they remind me of supermodels-expensive upkeep, high-maintenance, and you can’t feed them anything but “premium”). Give me the rumbling growl that screams DETROIT coupled with the personality and ruggedness that only a muscle car carries. I’ll leave the “Fast and Furious” stuff to my brethren. I still like Brother Dogg’s ITR though. Just wish it had a bowtie. :slight_smile:

And flhrciblueice, she rode in my Old Man’s ’76 caddy Coup DeVille (18 and 3/4 feet long), which she also deemed a boat. Guess anything over 10 feet long qualifies.

Demo Dick you could not possibly want an old muscle to a new Lamborghini Murcielago or Porsche 911 Turbo/GT2, or Ferrari 360 Modena. I just recently saw the new Lambo and i seriously could have stood there ALL day and just kept looking at it. Pictures do not do Supercars like this justice. Seeing them in real life is an unmatched experience. And the sound of that engine, ohh, you just get goose bumps over your goose bumps hearing these cars idle let alone hearing them being thrashed.
But, i guess you love your muscle cars so i will respect that.