Muscle Building Routine

Okay, this is my final thread for a while as I’ve kind of worn this forum out a bit, lol.

I want to share my routine that helped my to realize the progress I made in the last year that I shared in my most recent post. Check it out if you haven’t already, its entitled “my progrees pics.”

The routine is is based off the principal of progressive tension overload, as well as frequency. As natural bodybuilders (for those who are, not to suggest this routine is not greatly beneficial to those with synthetic help) we are limited to the amount of muscle we can build and increasing frequency is one of the only things we can do to maximize progress, the more growth phases we can put our selves in, the faster we can make progress so long as we are able to recuperate.

DISCLAIMER: the exercises can be interchanged, I.e you can use dumbells in place of barbells, perform inclines in place of flat presses. What’s important is that you’ve chosen an exercise that you feel is beneficial to you and agrees with your body.

The routine I used specifically follows:

Day 1. Chest/shoulders/triceps/calves/traps.
Flat bench press 2x8-10 @ 310#
Incline dumbell press 2x8-10 @ 110# DB’s
Seated shoulder presses 1x8-10 @ 205#
Cable pushdowns 2x10-12 @ 190#
Overhead extensions 2x10-12 @ 120 # DB
Seated calf raises 2x20-25 @ 225 #
Leg press calf raises 2x20-25 @ 405 #
Shrugs 3x20 @ 315#

Day 2. Quads/hams/back/biceps.
*Front squat 2x8-10 @ 325 #
*Back squat 2x8-10 @ 375 #
(These two exercises are interchanged) though sometimes both are performed, I’ll start with the front squat some workouts ahd start with back squats others.
Hack squat 2x8-10 @ 455 #
Seated leg curls or Stiff legs on the hack squat machine 2x10-12
Wide grip pulldowns 2x8-10 @ 245#
Narrow grip pulldowns 2x8-10 @ 225#
Incline barbell rows 2x8-10 @255#
Dumbell upright row 2x10-12 @75 #
Incline DB curls or barbell curls 3x8-10.

I’ve included the weights I use in case anyone is wondering, and since the progression of weights is important to the program.

To progress I recommend starting with 8 Reps on a given workout add one rep per workout until you have reached the upper limit of reps, in this case 10. So it would go, workout 1 8 reps, workout 2 9 reps, workout 3 10 reps.after you have reached 10 reps with a given weight add 5-10 pounds and start back over a t 8 reps.

The workouts will be rotated every there day- to every 3rd day, meaning in 8 days you could train the same body parts up to 4 times and as few as 2 times. An example would look like this:

Day 1 …workout no. 1
Day 2 …workout no. 2
Day 3…either perform workout 1 again or a rest day.
Day 4 either a rest day, workout 2, or if you rested on day three, workout 1 would be performed on this day.
Day 5…ans so on

The idea here is to maximize frequency, some people may be able to train more often than others so I’ve left that part up to the individual. For those who heed a weekly structure:
Monday…wo 1
Tuesday…wo 2
Wednesday…rest
Thursday…wo 1
Friday…wo 2
Saturday…rest
Sunday…wo 1
Begin the following monday with workout 2, workout 1 on Tuesday and so on. So the training days are the same but the workout s switch days if that makes sense.

This style of training has helped me to add 17 pounds in one year while decreasing my body at percentage by 8 %, some of. The progress is due to me being young, but you can’t deny the effectiveness of the routine

Give it a try if you like!

Feels a little trollish.

I think we know why your back is lagging now. Anyways whatever way you train you made good progress. Keep at it!

[quote]jtownlax wrote:
I think we know why your back is lagging now. Anyways whatever way you train you made good progress. Keep at it![/quote]
Haha, agreed, I’m thinking about training back before oegs from now on, my back def needs more work than my legs.

[quote]optheta wrote:
Feels a little trollish.[/quote]
Not at all, its to much work typing n my tablet to be trollng, lol

What was your diet like when training with this routine?

I’ve never tried a 2 day split, but you definitely showed that you can get good results with it.

We are?

Yeah, what’s the nutrition look like? Most interested in the carb strategy since you look like a natural Endo. For me I have to carb cycle to avoid being a fat ass, and it really limits my progress I feel.

[quote]Fuzzyapple.Train wrote:

We are?[/quote]

yes everyone has a genetic limit to how much muscle they can put on naturaly. scienece sugests that for an average natural trainee that would be in the somewhere around 40-50lb of muscle

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
What was your diet like when training with this routine?

I’ve never tried a 2 day split, but you definitely showed that you can get good results with it. [/quote]
My diet was never consistant as far as what I ate everyday, however, macros were always consistant. 4200 calories per day, 50/30/20 carbs/protein/fats. I didn’t supplement with anything crazy, just whey.

Whats the most amount of calories you might take in the law few hours before bed? Would you taper off or continue the food onslaught?

[quote]giograves wrote:
Whats the most amount of calories you might take in the law few hours before bed? Would you taper off or continue the food onslaught?[/quote]

Typically, I would have a shake in the morning consisting of whey protein, egg whites, sweet potato, pecans, and whole milk. This alone had about 1200 calories. Meal two and three was always different, usually steak or chicken and white rice or pasta. Meal three was a shake just like meal one, though sometimes I would use oatmeal and fruit instead of the sweet potato, that meal was at about 7 pm. Prior to going to bed at around 11, I would have just a Greek yogurt or maybe some cottage cheese.

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:
yes everyone has a genetic limit to how much muscle they can put on naturaly. scienece sugests that for an average natural trainee that would be in the somewhere around 40-50lb of muscle[/quote]

My question has always been the starting point. Do we mean from the first moment a person begins training, after the initial ‘newbee’ gains, or from the time physical maturation ends? Lifters with a history of athletics vs lifters without, and so on. We certainly don’t mean from the time someone was 16 years old do we? Although there are some gifted youngsters indeed!

Perhaps a better standard is what ‘lean’ weight to height ratio is reachable naturally. I was taught that most lifters that are willing to do the work can get to 3lbs per inch. The gifted can reach a little north of that.

[quote]youngster543210 wrote:

[quote]giograves wrote:
Whats the most amount of calories you might take in the law few hours before bed? Would you taper off or continue the food onslaught?[/quote]

Typically, I would have a shake in the morning consisting of whey protein, egg whites, sweet potato, pecans, and whole milk. This alone had about 1200 calories. Meal two and three was always different, usually steak or chicken and white rice or pasta. Meal three was a shake just like meal one, though sometimes I would use oatmeal and fruit instead of the sweet potato, that meal was at about 7 pm. Prior to going to bed at around 11, I would have just a Greek yogurt or maybe some cottage cheese.[/quote]

I love this! Most lifters today aren’t willing to eat all those carbohydrates.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:
yes everyone has a genetic limit to how much muscle they can put on naturaly. scienece sugests that for an average natural trainee that would be in the somewhere around 40-50lb of muscle[/quote]

My question has always been the starting point. Do we mean from the first moment a person begins training, after the initial ‘newbee’ gains, or from the time physical maturation ends? Lifters with a history of athletics vs lifters without, and so on. We certainly don’t mean from the time someone was 16 years old do we? Although there are some gifted youngsters indeed!

Perhaps a better standard is what ‘lean’ weight to height ratio is reachable naturally. I was taught that most lifters that are willing to do the work can get to 3lbs per inch. The gifted can reach a little north of that. [/quote]
I think that’s a better way to look at it. I put on 60 lbs of lean mass in the past year, but I won’t look as impressive as the original poster until I put on much more.

Have you considered a push/pull/legs split? Mainly to target back by giving it its own day? With 1 day rest, you would not get the frequency, but maybe you could up the volume.

I like the increased frequency. How long does the workouts last?

[quote]Brett620 wrote:
Have you considered a push/pull/legs split? Mainly to target back by giving it its own day? With 1 day rest, you would not get the frequency, but maybe you could up the volume.

I like the increased frequency. How long does the workouts last?[/quote]
I have, I’ve done push/pull/legs n the past as well as an upper/lower split. Both were effective but neither as effective as the routine posted here for putting on overall mass. My focus since I started has been to fill of my frame as much as I couldbefore my first show. Now that I’ve come close to filling it out I will start to use a more specialized routine to bring up my back. I’ll prbly be training back twice a week in a push/pull/legs split. Or I may train back once a week with substantial volume to see how it responds.