Muscle Building Log (5/3/1 training)

As of now I am training to increase my strength on Squat/deadlift/bench/m.press as much as possible.

Each month I will summarize what training I done, along with the weight increases of squat/deadlift/bench/m.press

My first 2 weeks was just prepping myself and seeing what I could handle in terms of training.

Currently I am doing the 5/3/1 program by Jim Wendler. I am going to use minor changes when I stall so I can use this program for as long as I can.

Any critique or advice/guidelines is more than welcome.

1 month progress:

Squat: 80kg to 82.5kg x 3
Deadlift: 100kg to 90kg x 5
Bench Press: 70kg to 60kg x 8
Military press: 40kg to 45kg x 5

1 month summary:
140lbs - 160lbs

Training -
push/pull split: 1 week
upper/lower split: 1 week
wendler 5/3/1: 2 weeks, non-consistant accessory work.

Woke up this morning with a clear head on what I want to be doing.

My goal for now is to hit 200-220lbs at my height.

So, for breakfast:

8 scrambled eggs, 2 slices toast, 4 fish oil caps, and a veg/fruit shake

veg/fruit shake: apple, orange, blueberries, raspberries, grapes, strawberries, kale, spinach, cucumber, broccoli.

Lunch: 12oz chicken on top of a mound of rice.

Dinner: having some steak at the gym with jacket potato. I’ll have the rest of the veg/fruit shake that I made earlier (ended up making 2 servings)

In between breakfast, lunch & dinner, I am having something called Complan, which is just a nutritious powder that has 10g protein, 15g carbs & 10g fat per serving.

I have it with a pint of full fat milk & it’s fucking delicious.

Had a couple Jam wagon wheels too which was nice.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

So, for breakfast:

veg/fruit shake: apple, orange, blueberries, raspberries, grapes, strawberries, kale, spinach, cucumber, broccoli.

Dinner: having some steak at the gym with jacket potato. I’ll have the rest of the veg/fruit shake that I made earlier (ended up making 2 servings)

In between breakfast, lunch & dinner, I am having something called Complan, which is just a nutritious powder that has 10g protein, 15g carbs & 10g fat per serving.

[/quote]

Breakfast:

Cripes, did you not absorb anything from the last thread ?

Toast = USELESS… theres nothing in toast except crumbs :slight_smile:

Add in more protein via a shake for breakfast.

Lunch:

Again, try keep the carbs pre workout to a minimum theres no point walloping your insulin up when more than likely after such a long layoff it will store it as FAT rather than muscle… so get rid of the rice install VEG green and add more Fish Oil or other types of good fat.

Dinner:

Perfect !

And then we come to your snack:

The only thing you will gain off this stuff is a LOAD OF FAT !

GET RID OF IT, its like those “weight gainers” 90% sugar 10% protein lol dump it NOW.

I already advised:

Cottage Cheese
Natural Peanut Butter OR Almonds/Hazelnuts etc etc

Whats wrong with that !!!

couldn’t do snatch grip deadlifts because the bar hits my balls each rep, so I did regular deadlifts instead:

6RM, 25 reps:

5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4

Didn’t do chin ups, felt like I would be better off doing lat pulldown:

8RM, 30 reps:

8, 6, 6, 6, 4

Dumbbell row:
8RM, 24 reps

4x6

I planned on doing 5 exercises today, but with the effort I put into these 3 I was shaking & felt like throwing up.

Im sure that if i keep up the food intake i’ll be able to do more weight next week & do all the exercises.

[quote]300andabove wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:

So, for breakfast:

Breakfast:

Cripes, did you not absorb anything from the last thread ?

Toast = USELESS… theres nothing in toast except crumbs :slight_smile:

Add in more protein via a shake for breakfast.

Lunch:

Again, try keep the carbs pre workout to a minimum theres no point walloping your insulin up when more than likely after such a long layoff it will store it as FAT rather than muscle… so get rid of the rice install VEG green and add more Fish Oil or other types of good fat.

Dinner:

Perfect !

And then we come to your snack:

Typical Values PER 100g
Powder % RDA* PER 57g
Powder % RDA*
per serving
Energy 1848 kJ 1053 kJ
439 kcal 250 kcal
Protein 15.4 g 8.8 g
Carbohydrates 61.1 g 34.8 g
of which sugars 40.1 g 22.9 g
Fat 14.8 g 8.4 g
of which saturates 6.6 g 3.8 g

The only thing you will gain off this stuff is a LOAD OF FAT !

GET RID OF IT, its like those “weight gainers” 90% sugar 10% protein lol dump it NOW.

I already advised:

Cottage Cheese
Natural Peanut Butter OR Almonds/Hazelnuts etc etc

Whats wrong with that !!!
[/quote]

I picked up some protein from gym today so i’ll swap the toast for that. Should I use any carb sources for breakfast?

I’ll drop the rice for lunch, I was just thinking of getting in some more calories when I added it. I’ll just pack in extra carbs after training.

Didn’t know that about complan, thats unfortunate! I’ll pick up some macadamia nuts & snack on those between meals then.

I know what I can do, this pretty much follows your advice: I can do the diet CT gave USCtrojan in physique clinic (he was my weight & height, going for same goals)

Breakfast
6 omega-3 eggs
1 Orange
1 Apple

Snack
Metabolic Drive 1 scoop
1 tablespoon All-Natural peanut butter

Lunch
8oz chicken (or turkey or fish)
4 caps Flameout
1 cup pineapple

Snack
Metabolic Drive 1 scoop
1 tablespoon All-Natural almond butter

Dinner
8oz red meat (ideally Sirloin or Buffalo/Bison)
½ cup cashews (or Almonds of Macademia nuts)
½ cup rice

Snack
Metabolic Drive 1 scoop
1 tablespoon Macademia nut oil
1 orange

Before bed
3 omega-3 eggs
1 tablespoon All-Natural peanut butter
2 caps Flameout

If I train before lunch i’ll have the rice & cashews then instead.

I’ll keep using my veggie fruit shake, i’ll have it for breakfast & lunch (or dinner if i train before lunch)

Obviously I won’t kill myself if I have cottage cheese & nuts for a snack instead of a protein shake, or spaghetti bolongese for dinner. But I can still use these guidelines.

If your short on calories:

Coconut Oil: Its solid eat it then the meal
Olive Oil: Easiest calories ever

Eat the fruit in the morning no bothers

You need some protein with the nuts :slight_smile:
SO get some meat/fish etc etc

today was quads & push

Leg press - 8RM

7, 6, 6, 6, 4

DB bench press - 10RM

10, 8, 8, 6, 5

DB seated press - 10RM & 8RM

10, 8,
6, 6, 4

todays food:

6 scrambled eggs, 2 oranges & 1 apple, 4 fish oil caps

protein shake w/ peanut butter

<>

Lamb & Steak (10oz meat total) w/1/2 cup rice

protein shake w/ almond butter

chicken (10oz) w/ 1/2 cup rice

Going to have a protein shake in a minute, I feel exhausted today & ache like I never had before.

Probably because i’ve had hardly anything past 3 months.

I couldn’t even put the car into gear after the gym because my left shoulder was so beaten in, I can only hope this gets better with time.

My right shoulder has got a sharp burning around the back.

I’m trying to ignore the unusual aches & pains and hope they go away over time.

You doing the DC shoulder routine ??

That should fix most of the issues.

If your really beat up, go and get EPSOM bath salts sit in the bath for 1/2 hr and soak in it. Will help alot.

Yeah I’m doing it.

It’s insanely difficult to do 50 reps.

On rep 20 my shoulders are on fire and my right one feels like it’s being torn apart.

I need to get a longer stick.

[quote]charlie123 wrote:
Yeah I’m doing it.

On rep 20 my shoulders are on fire and my right one feels like it’s being torn apart.

I need to get a longer stick.[/quote]

Was signed in on girlfriends account…

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
charlie123 wrote:
Yeah I’m doing it.

I need to get a longer stick.

Was signed in on girlfriends account…[/quote]

Start with a towel, roll it up.

It has more “give”

Training for today, had a lot more energy than 1st training session.

Supinated deadlift felt too awkward, I added it to help with my posture & shoulder alignment, but I really felt skinny today and wanted to move some weight.

So I did Romanian deadlift instead.

50kg: 6, 6
60kg: 6, 5, 4, 3,

Seated cable rows.

#7: 10, 10, 10, 8, 8,
#8: 6, 6

Close-grip lat pulldown

#8: 8, 6, 6, 6, 5

I tried doing some shrugs, but I didn’t have straps on me and my grip was fried.

DB curls

12.5kg DBs: 8, 8

I am so fucking weak, my strength is pretty much half of what it used to be. I really feel like eating 5k calories a day atm. I’m going to look over my diet to see what I can add in.

Hey wait a minute…

WTF @ the high reps ???

25-30 reps ???

[quote]300andabove wrote:
Hey wait a minute…

WTF @ the high reps ???

25-30 reps ???

[/quote]

I was trying out Waterbury’s thing, where you pick a 6RM and do 25 reps with it however you want, you just stop the set whenever your form/speed slows down.

i.e 5x5, or 5,5,4,4,4,3 etc.

It made me crazy sore, I like the idea of just picking a weight that feels good at doing a certain target number of reps too.

Training today:

Squat: 50kg - 5x8.

Decline bench press:
60kg - 4x4,
set 5: 45kg - 8 reps
set 6: 45kg - 6 reps

(all the regular benches were taken up, i probably shouldn’t go at 5pm on a monday again)

Push press: 25kg - 5x6

Triceps pushdown:
set 1: #6 - 15 reps,
set 2: #8 - 8 reps
set 3: #8 - 8 reps
set 4: #8 - 8 reps, #6 - 6 reps, #4 - 15 reps.

I hate being so weak right now, my main goal now is to get as strong as possible right now.

Lift goals for this year (1RM)
squat: 160kg. Right now i can probably do 80kg

deadlift: 160kg. Before I stopped training I could do 100kg for 5.

bench press: 120kg. Doing 70kg atm.

push press: 60kg. Right now I can only do 30kg.

So thats what I’m aiming for. Not sure how I’m going to do it, I’m just going to eat as much as I can, train with a upper/lower split mostly and see what happens.

Well if you want to get strong… do you expect to do with via Waterburys methods ??

I mean… er he trains fighters and other assorted bodily weight challenged individuals… if you want brute strength then why not use what the powerlifters use ?

Or even WSSB (West Side for Skinny Bastards)

That would be more specific for your needs no ?

I am really trying NOT to bad mouth any coach, but Waterburys methods… i dunno i think ONE guy so far has said his methods work… thats not really a good base of people to ask now is it ?

IF i were you i would look at WSSB as there is part 2 and 3 stay on them for 2-3 years and you will be WWAYYYY advanced than most ADD gym program sufferers.

Yeah I was just looking at a beginner strength program from dave tate as it goes, it’s 12 weeks long.

I’m going to start it on the upcoming week since it has a 3 week preparation period.

it’s pretty similar to ws4sb.

Right now I plan on doing that, doing something like ws4b, while maybe doing a body part split every now and then.