Muscle Bound Test

Muscle Boundness is a vague concept with a potentially true core.

On a broad level, it’s a clichee.
Move into specific sports and patterns and you can pinpoint the degree to which a training athlete will have to actively counteract rather probable changes to an otherwise less muscle-dense frame.

Generally speaking, if you work out, do some other stuff and also stretch a bit - and you’re set.
ie If you sit in front of a screen all day and suddently decide to go from a 150 lbs geek to a 250 lbs freak by bulking and pumping, chances are, you will affirm at some point somebody’s muscle bound ideas.

If somone is interested in martial arts, I can be a lot more specific.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
Now take the same guys both prioritizing mobility, the more muscular one will probably be at disadvantage.[/quote]

Probably not. You ever see an olympic gymnast?[/quote]

Just what I was thinking. One’s flexibility and mobility are determined by the suppleness of the connective tissue in the joints, not the amount of skeletal muscle one has.

I think the OP just wanted us to all say “ya bro U must be hyuuuuge.” :wink:
[/quote]

While that’s seems to the the point of the thread, there are some poses that just just aren’t possible. I doubt any big guy can do the eagle pose, no matter how flexible.[/quote]

I suspect that Frank Zane could have. In his prime he wasn’t what most would consider a “big guy”: he was 5’9" and 200 pounds (which he shredded down to 185 in competition), but at very least his biceps were not “too big” to allow him to touch his shoulders.[/quote]

Touching shoulders is one thing. Eagle pose.

‘Muscle bound’ is the sign on the front of this bandwagon; either sit down and shut up or get the fuck off the fucking bus, fuck-fuckle.

Mobility is more use it or loose it than stretching. A guy who builds a lot of muscle and works the big plans of movement in a full ROM is probably much better off than the couch potato. If you squat deep your ankle and hip mobility is probably better than 90% of Americans. If you overhead press you are probably a step ahead in the shoulder department, est.

I think that?s even more true as you get older. If you keep using your mobility, you don?t lose it, or at least not as much as average.

That said, I have to use a cross hand to talk on the phone for more than a minute, because my hand goes to sleep otherwise.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
I’ve heard others dispel the myth of being muscle bound, but I’m not so sure I agree. I think there is truth to it.

I am quite flexible (I can put my knuckles on the floor with straight legs when I am stretching my hamstrings for example), but I can’t touch my elbows to each other in front me, I believe that is due to my pecs getting in the way. Recently I realized I can’t touch my left hands fingers to my left shoulder, or vice versa on the right side (much like a time out signal) I believe this is mostly due to my biceps getting in the way.

Am I saying that I am muscle bound? To a degree, yes.

Anyone here in the same boat as me? [/quote]

Is that you in the avatar pic?

If so, then I don’t think you are “muscle bound”.

Sounds like you just have poor joint mobility.
[/quote]

It is me in the pic from 5 years ago at 165. I’m 195 now, I’m just over 5’ 6", and my arms are just under 18".[/quote]

I’m 250 and I can do both the things you say you can’t. Sounds like bad mobility to me.

Touching shoulders is one thing. Eagle pose. [/quote]

Why would I care about the eagle pose whatsoever?

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
I’ve heard others dispel the myth of being muscle bound, but I’m not so sure I agree. I think there is truth to it.

I am quite flexible (I can put my knuckles on the floor with straight legs when I am stretching my hamstrings for example), but I can’t touch my elbows to each other in front me, I believe that is due to my pecs getting in the way. Recently I realized I can’t touch my left hands fingers to my left shoulder, or vice versa on the right side (much like a time out signal) I believe this is mostly due to my biceps getting in the way.

[/quote]

It is me in the pic from 5 years ago at 165. I’m 195 now, I’m just over 5’ 6", and my arms are just under 18".[/quote]

ouch, 5’ 6"? That’s gotta hurt. No wonder you have to start a thread being like “I’m so hyooge my musselz get in the way”

Don’t be a sizest!

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/why_5_ft_6?id=6031019&pageNo=0

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

Why would I care about the eagle pose whatsoever?[/quote]

The original question is whether it’s possible to be ‘musclebound.’ Some are saying that it’s a lack of mobility, not muscle getting in the way. The eagle pose is an example of something that cannot be done given enough mass.

Who gives a shit about what you care about doing?

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

Why would I care about the eagle pose whatsoever?[/quote]

The original question is whether it’s possible to be ‘musclebound.’ Some are saying that it’s a lack of mobility, not muscle getting in the way. The eagle pose is an example of something that cannot be done given enough mass.

Who gives a shit about what you care about doing?[/quote]

I am almost 5"11, 192 lbs, the eagle pose was easy for me. Granted, I am not really big but, the OP can not do simple shit. He is not muscle bound.

Just did the eagle pose. A little uncomfortable, as is anything one does for the first time, but it wasn’t impossible by any stretch (yuk yuk). The bones got in the way more than the muscles.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
I’m 195 now, I’m just over 5’ 6", and my arms are just under 18".[/quote]

Your profile says 5’7". Did you shrink?

I suspect you are either mis-measuring your upper arm, or underestimating your body fat. A lean 18-inch upper arm (cold measurement, of course) is rarer than people think.

Coach Poliquin:

“Typically, you have to gain 15 pounds of overall body weight to add an inch to your upper arm measurements. Now, if you want to go from 21 to 22-inch arms, which is enormous, it’ll be more like a 25 pound gain. Weider writers claimed that Arnold used to have a 22 inch arm cold. Arthur Jones said they were full of shit. Arthur Jones was right: the Weider camp was full of shit. For Arnold to have a legitimate 22 inch arm, he would’ve had to weigh 308. If you’re going from a 14 inch arm to 16, then 30 pounds will do it. But going from 18 to 20 inches will require more like a 50 pound gain.”

No disrespect, but I’m guessing your arms probably are “just under” 18 inches. Just about two inches under.

A picture will prove otherwise, of course. Be sure to write your username on the tape, just so we know it’s you. :slight_smile:

Not being able to touch your shoulders? Bet you should loosen up your triceps. Can’t touch your elbows together? Stretch your back and pecs.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[/quote]

I’m 250 and I can do both the things you say you can’t. Sounds like bad mobility to me.[/quote]

And how tall are you? How long are your forearms? How big are your upper arms?

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[/quote]

I’m 250 and I can do both the things you say you can’t. Sounds like bad mobility to me.[/quote]

[/quote]
Get over yourself. There are many guys who are much bigger than you that can easily do what you are describing.

In other words:

OP, Pics or GTFO.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude, just go to Aragorn’s profile and click on “photos”, and you will see for yourself.

You have any photos?

[quote]Silyak wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
Get over yourself. There are many guys who are much bigger than you that can easily do what you are describing.

In other words:

OP, Pics or GTFO.[/quote]

get over the fact that I won’t get over myself

Varq is clearly fueled by high levels of hatred and jealousy, which is why he is posting in this thread with such passion.

Sorry for lying to you guys, I’m actually 66.713959602725180" tall…or short.

[quote]carbiduis wrote:
Varq is clearly fueled by high levels of hatred and jealousy, which is why he is posting in this thread with such passion.[/quote]

Why would I hate someone I don’t know?

Why would I be jealous of someone who can’t do what I can?

Thanks for posting the new picture. I’m still convinced it’s an issue with your shoulder mobility and, as someone else mentioned, tightness in the triceps and latissimus that is preventing you from touching your shoulders or bringing your elbows together.

But believe what you like. Despite the “passion” you imagine I’m posting with, your ability or inability to perform “feats of flexibility” affects me not at all.

Peace.