Murtha Getting Sued

Anyone else see this?

I personally think this is great. Maybe in the future he’ll engage his brain before opening his grocery hole. I would think that these Marines deserve at least the benefit of a fair trial before a sitting U.S. congressman calls them “colds blooded killers” in the media.

It saddens me to see a decorated Marine such as Mr. Murtha disrespecting the troops this way, especially fellow Marines.

His comments were wreckless and innapropriate. Period.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060802/ap_on_go_co/murtha_suit;_ylt=AmLK26jC2IiPEFz3a8k3Gy.s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OXIzMDMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

[i]By KIMBERLY HEFLING, Associated press Writer

WASHINGTON - A Marine Corps sergeant under investigation in connection with the deaths of 24 Iraqi civilians in Haditha is accusing Rep. John P. Murtha of defaming him in public comments about the case.

Lawyers for Frank D. Wuterich, 26, argue in a suit filed Wednesday in federal court that Murtha falsely accused Wuterich “of cold-blooded murder and war crimes” ? although they acknowledged during a news conference that Murtha named Wuterich’s squad, but not Wuterich personally, when speaking with reporters.

Murtha, D-Pa., issued a statement Wednesday saying he doesn’t blame Wuterich for “lashing out.”

“When I spoke up about Haditha, my intention was to draw attention to the horrendous pressure put on our troops in Iraq and to the cover-up of the incident,” said Murtha, a 16-term congressman who was campaigning for re-election Wednesday in his hometown of Johnstown, Pa.

The suit maintains that Pentagon officials “who have briefed or leaked information to Mr. Murtha deliberately provided him with inaccurate and false information” and that the congressman subsequently “has made repeated statements … that are defamatory” to Wuterich and his fellow Marines.

The suit accuses Murtha of spreading “false and malicious lies” about Wuterich and his squad that were “intended to serve his own private purpose and interests” and that Murtha’s comments “have been reproduced by countless third parties throughout the world.”

It says many of Murtha’s remarks were made outside his “scope of employment as a congressman.” Murtha, a former Marine and decorated Vietnam War veteran, has been a leading proponent of withdrawing U.S. forces from Iraq.

The claim for libel and invasion of privacy seeks damages to be determined, but not less than $75,000.

Mark Zaid, an attorney for Wuterich said during a news conference that the suit was not about money or politics.

“This case … is about truth, honor and accountability and Congressman Murtha, who we believe has acted out of his scope as a congressman,” Zaid said.

The suit details Wuterich’s account of what happened on Nov. 19, 2005, in Haditha, a story he has told through his lawyers previously.

Wuterich maintains several civilians were killed when his squad pursued insurgents firing at them from inside a house after a roadside bombing that killed one Marine. He describes a house-to-house hunt that went wrong in the midst of a confusing battlefield, but has denied through his attorneys any vengeful massacre.

Wuterich and other Marines from his 3rd battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, are under investigation by the Naval Criminal Investigation Service. A parallel investigation is looking at whether officers at higher levels in the chain of command covered up the facts.

No one has been charged in the case.

A Pentagon official told The Associated Press Wednesday that evidence collected on the deaths of 24 Iraqis in Haditha supports accusations that U.S. Marines deliberately shot the civilians, including unarmed women and children.

The court case was first reported late Tuesday on The Washington Post’s Internet site.[/i]

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
Anyone else see this?

I personally think this is great. Maybe in the future he’ll engage his brain before opening his grocery hole. I would think that these Marines deserve at least the benefit of a fair trial before a sitting U.S. congressman calls them “colds blooded killers” in the media.

It saddens me to see a decorated Marine such as Mr. Murtha disrespecting the troops this way, especially fellow Marines.

[/quote]

I agree 100%.

Better them than us, and people have the nerve to make these accusations and bitch about Iraqi civilian deaths. C’mon, get some fucking sense here.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
bigflamer wrote:
Anyone else see this?

I agree 100%.[/quote]

Why am I nut surprised?

Who’s disrespecting the troops? The people that point out the consequences of this mad war? Or the people that started it?

[quote]MisterAmazing wrote:
Better them than us, and people have the nerve to make these accusations and bitch about Iraqi civilian deaths. C’mon, get some fucking sense here.[/quote]

Yeah, people do have a lot of nerve to care about, say, innocent civilians getting blown up when they’re trying to pick up some day labor.

From CNN:

Early Wednesday, a bomb in a garbage bag lying on a street in downtown Baghdad exploded near a group of laborers waiting to be hired for daily wage work, said police 1st Lt. Ahmed Mohammed Ali. Three of the laborers were killed and eight injured. Minutes later a second bomb, also hidden in a bag, exploded but caused no casualties, he said.

Your comment was one of the more despicable I’ve heard; you should be ashamed of yourself.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
bigflamer wrote:
Anyone else see this?

I agree 100%.

Why am I nut surprised?[/quote]

Nut suprised?

Congressman Murtha is, didn’t you read the article?

Of course you didn’t. My bad.

Wreckless, you’re missing the legal and moral point so completely that I am reticent to even attempt to explain your retardation. So run along now, I’m sure you have an anti Bush rally to attend.

My advice to you would be to have a friend deadlift your head out of your ass so that you might understand the discussions contained within these forums better.

-Bigflamer

I definitely have a problem with Murtha’s big mouth but I find it more unacceptable that the Swift Boat Liars are going after him.

The discussion should be about Murtha’s mouth…not about his service.

His service was not a problem for the GOP until dementia and senility set in on Murtha.

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
I definitely have a problem with Murtha’s big mouth but I find it more unacceptable that the Swift Boat Liars are going after him.

His service was not a problem for the GOP until dementia and senility set in on Murtha.[/quote]

I think he should be strung up by his formerly leathered neck for treason.

And as for the swift-boat folks - you were aware that all of the suits against them were dropped, no?

Why? Because Kerry and his band of pussy-boat supporters did not want it on public record exactly what kind of fucking coward Kerry really was/is.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:

His service was not a problem for the GOP until dementia and senility set in on Murtha.

And as for the swift-boat folks - you were aware that all of the suits against them were dropped, no?

Why? Because Kerry and his band of pussy-boat supporters did not want it on public record exactly what kind of fucking coward Kerry really was/is. [/quote]

I don’t give a shit about Kerry.

I do have a problem with attacking peoples service record but I guess you thought is was OK how the Democrats went after Bush’s service record?

If Bush, Kerry, and Murtha’s service records are fair game then everyone that served in my family is fair game and everyone that served in your family is fair game.

How does that sit with you?

It does not sit well with me.

It sounds like this lawsuit is questioning his actions after his service was completed…40 years after.

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:

Why? Because Kerry and his band of pussy-boat supporters did not want it on public record exactly what kind of fucking coward Kerry really was/is.

I do have a problem with attacking peoples service record but I guess you thought is was OK how the Democrats went after Bush’s service record?

If Bush, Kerry, and Murtha’s service records are fair game then everyone that served in my family is fair game and everyone that served in your family is fair game.

It does not sit well with me.[/quote]

So the record of anyone who had served in the armed forces is untuchable and off limits?

That’s bullshit.

[quote]hedo wrote:
It sounds like this lawsuit is questioning his actions after his service was completed…40 years after.[/quote]

Yup. It is about his public defamation of Marines.

As a Marine he should know better, but I don’t think anyone is questioning his service.

Of course some people here just lioke to say “swift-boating” rather than give the matter any serious thought.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
hedo wrote:
It sounds like this lawsuit is questioning his actions after his service was completed…40 years after.

Yup. It is about his public defamation of Marines.

As a Marine he should know better, but I don’t think anyone is questioning his service.

Of course some people here just lioke to say “swift-boating” rather than give the matter any serious thought.[/quote]

Bailey and O’Neill are the same guys that ran the ‘Swift Boat Vets’ in 2004 and the same guys running ‘Redeploy John Murtha From Congress’.

Hence re-using the term ‘swift boating’.

Please show me where I used it any other time.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:

It does not sit well with me.

So the record of anyone who had served in the armed forces is untuchable and off limits?

That’s bullshit.

[/quote]

How do you feel about George W. Bush’s record and Bill Clinton’s record?

They both suck in my mind but are not relevant.

The fact that Murtha spoke out actually means he has much more respect for the Marines in general than many here. The allegations of those particular Marines is a tarnish to the Marines in general and should be denounced.

Murtha was trying the separate the valient efforts of all of the Marines trying to act valliantly and courageously from the few bad apples.
No one (except the ACLU) balks when senators make accusations of child molesters, murderers, etc., but our Armed Forces are a different story?

[quote]dead_lifter5000 wrote:
The fact that Murtha spoke out actually means he has much more respect for the Marines in general than many here. The allegations of those particular Marines is a tarnish to the Marines in general and should be denounced.[/quote]

No, I disagree.

Mr. Murtha disrespested the troops by defaming the character of those Marines in the court of public opinion, on the national and international stage, without the benefit of a fair trial, which is a right gauranteed to those Marines by their country. A country which is represented by Mr. Murtha as a sitting U.S. congressman. Get it?

[quote]
Murtha was trying the separate the valient efforts of all of the Marines trying to act valliantly and courageously from the few bad apples.
No one (except the ACLU) balks when senators make accusations of child molesters, murderers, etc., but our Armed Forces are a different story? [/quote]

Yes they are a different story. Don’t be retarded. Are you willing to put all the men and women of the armed forces on the same level as child molesters and murderers?

Only if they are child molesters and murderers. And that, my awfully misguided friend, requires a fair trial to legally prove their guilt. Mr. Murtha intentionally altered the public opinion of these Marines prior to a fair trial by defaming their character in front of the nation and the world. This will irrevocably alter their chances for a fair trial. And all for the purpose of political grandstanding.

Real nice huh.

A decorated Marine selling out fellow Marines for the purposes of politics is, IMHO, very shamefull.

[quote]dead_lifter5000 wrote:
The fact that Murtha spoke out actually means he has much more respect for the Marines in general than many here. The allegations of those particular Marines is a tarnish to the Marines in general and should be denounced.

No one (except the ACLU) balks when senators make accusations of child molesters, murderers, etc., but our Armed Forces are a different story? [/quote]

No. No. No. Murtha was trying to score political points with the whacked-out dem leadership.

Make no mistake - it had dick to do with his service, or duty as a Marine.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
dead_lifter5000 wrote:

No one (except the ACLU) balks when senators make accusations of child molesters, murderers, etc., but our Armed Forces are a different story?

No. No. No. Murtha was trying to score political points with the whacked-out dem leadership.

Make no mistake - it had dick to do with his service, or duty as a Marine. [/quote]

I totally agree with RJ on this one but attacking Murtha’s serive denigrates seriousness of the moronic claims Murtha made.