T Nation

Multivitamins

i mean if u eat mostly fruits and vegetables daily, r multivitamins necessary to take?

It’s certainly not going to hurt if you’re taking in reasonable amounts of fruits/ veggies, not something like 20+ servings daily. Also, someone on here said enzymes/ vitamins & minerals should be taken with every meal, so I usually take my multivitamin with my PWO protein shake since I otherwise wouldn’t be getting any with it. Makes sense to me, anyway.

Best way to think about Vitamins, it’s like insurance for just incase you aren’t getting enough from food.

Vitamins are really not necessary if you are getting in enough fruits, veggies, and whole foods in your diet. If you live on shakes and meat, it probably isn’t a bad idea.

The biggest problem with multivitamins is all the extra useless crap they put in them. How do you know if you even “need” any of that shit? I still say a good greens supplement and plenty of good food is a much better idea.

Unless you eat a VERY wide variety and large quantity and fruits and veggies, organically grown, there is almost no way to be sure you are getting all your micronutrition.

There are many reasons for this, one big one being that in some cases crop soils can be up to 75% depleted of essential minerals like magnesium, zinc, etc. This is due to over-farming and poor nutrient replenishment practices. Where as organic farms (generally) use sustainable modes of farming. These usually equal a more nutritious product.

I would not just take any old multi though, if you are going to take a cheap “one-a-day” I wouldn’t bother. These bottom of the barrel supps are a hard-compressed pill with very poor bioavailability. And even if they were to “break down” decently, they often have inferior forms of what you need.

For instance, almost all vitamins (even some good brands) only contain the alpha form of vitamin E. There are EIGHT essential forms of vitamin E, the alpha form is often the LEAST beneficial and may lead to an increased need of the other forms.

I recommend ALL my clients, regardless of how “clean” they eat, to take 1/2 serving of a quality multi just to prevent gaps. AOR (Advanced Orthomolecular Research) makes some of the best on the planet, their Essential Wellness Mix is an awesome product (women would need to add iron as needed). AOR’s Ortho Core is another notch up and you would be hard-pressed to find much better for the price. Life Extention also makes very good products. I use/recommend their Super EPA/DHA fish oils as they are just about the purest on the market.

TopSirloin

I know this thread is older, but I think most multivitamins are crap. You get your vitamins from the foods you eat. If you don’t eat enough veggies(which is what most americans lack anyway), get a greens supplement. Its whole food based, and contains beta carotene and vitamin c.

Other than that, I think magnesium and zinc are a good addition if you have trouble sleeping or are dealing with stress.

for a multivitamin, i would consider one of the formulations by NOW, or if you want to go high end i like multi+ by genuine health (makers of greens+), it is also available in combination with greens+.

you can get all your micronutrient needs from fruits and veggies, by fresh and local for highest nutrient levels.

[quote]TopSirloin wrote:
Unless you eat a VERY wide variety and large quantity and fruits and veggies, organically grown, there is almost no way to be sure you are getting all your micronutrition.

There are many reasons for this, one big one being that in some cases crop soils can be up to 75% depleted of essential minerals like magnesium, zinc, etc. This is due to over-farming and poor nutrient replenishment practices. Where as organic farms (generally) use sustainable modes of farming. These usually equal a more nutritious product.
TopSirloin[/quote]

the 75% figure represents highly over farmed grain land and new formerly unfarmed lands because they were piss poor to begin with - sure crops will grow, but lack nutrients, not vegetables and fruit. for veggies or fruit the difference between organic and not is around 30% at most and in fact i would be willing to bet that lower mainland BC produce would be much closer to organic than most people believe.

one of the reasons that some crops show lower nutrient levels in tests is they are picked early due to transport to markets further away.

if you follow JB’s 7 habits, you will be fine. you can always tweak to organic later, learn to eat your fruit and veggies, if you consume 1kg per day and animal protein, you will exceed the RDI for most nutrients quite dramatically.

IT IS A LIE THAT YOU CANNOT GET YOUR MICRONUTRIENTS FROM NON-ORGANIC

micronutrient content depends mostly on how fresh the product is and the land it was grow on. organic farms do not have a monopoly on good land.

comparing the cost-benefit ratio, i cannot see how someone earning a lower wage could possibly benefit as it would necessarily cut into other critical spending.

at no point do i want to claim that organic does not have an advantage, but in most cases it is overblown like the dangers of steroids.

example: the other day i was buying spinach. it must have been cut that morning based on how fresh it was (and the farm it came from is only 10 miles away). a yippie lady (yuppy hippie, usually wearing high end dress down gear made by an adventure company and complete with gucci or prada purse…you get the picture) snickered at me and told me organic was healthier. i pointed out to her that the organic spinach had been sitting there for 2 days and was wilted, and as it was from california, it probably was cut at least 3-4 days ago meaning the nutrient levels were most likely lower than my spinach.