T Nation

Multi-Vitamin With Oatmeal?

So why dont I want to take my multi-vitamin with my oatmeal?

is this a riddle? seriously, that’s a hell of an incomplete thought.

It is a question that is posed on some other threads here,

e.g., http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1630770

in answer to an assertion in an article,

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/atomic_dog/an_ax_in_joe_weiders_chest

and to which the reply has run along the lines that the fiber in oatmeal inhibits absorption of the vitimins.

Since I do not know whether this is really so, or, if it is, to what extent it would make a difference that should be accounted for in a lifter’s nutritional strategy, I would have the same question as the OP.

Does anyone have any more information?

i’ve never heard of fiber messing with absorption of vitamins/minerals, if that were the case the vitamins/minerals in oatmeal, bread etc would be worthless.

i’d be more worried about pissing away money on a multi, and the blockage of some vitamins/minerals in the presence of other vitamins/minerals (calcium/zinc for instance)

Web-searching has turned up only indeterminate statements in health-related articles of unverified reliability such as “high-fiber foods, such as fiber-rich cold cereal or oatmeal, may interfere with absorption when the phytic-acid compounds in the fiber bind to minerals and prevent them from being used”, or “Fiber can bind with fat-soluble vitamins and minerals making them unavailable for your body.”

In the absence of more information, I find no documented substantial reason not to take a multivitamin with oatmeal, and rather suspect the prohibition may be a myth of needless nutional micromanagement worthy of the Weider that TC aims (in the article cited above) to put six feet under.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
i’ve never heard of fiber messing with absorption of vitamins/minerals, if that were the case the vitamins/minerals in oatmeal, bread etc would be worthless.

i’d be more worried about pissing away money on a multi, and the blockage of some vitamins/minerals in the presence of other vitamins/minerals (calcium/zinc for instance) [/quote]

Just because YOU never heard of it doesn’t mean it aint true, search phytic acid.

BTW apparently your body can adjust to higher levels of phytic acid- if its forced too.

Oats are a anti-nutrient so I woould think they will hinder absorption. Take your Multi with a more Paleolithic meal (Fruit, meat, veggies, nuts etc)

SHadoW