Multi-Vitamin/Multi-Mineral

Has anyone tried the liquid multi-vitamin/multi-mineral called “1st Step”?

Apparently we only abosrb 10% of a pill or capsule therefore this liquid multi claims much better absorption. This product was recommend by the website “Regeneration”. This website focuses on recovery.

[quote]AlanR wrote:
Has anyone tried the liquid multi-vitamin/multi-mineral called “1st Step”

Apparently we only abosrb 10% of a pill or capsule therefore this liquid multi claims much better absorption. This product was recommend by the website “Regeneration”. This website focuses on recovery.[/quote]

Liquid may get into your system faster however I don’t buy into the notion that we only absorb 10% of a pill or capsule. Especially if you consume your vitamins along with your food, as is always recommended.

When a company comes along and makes such an outrageous claim I tend to call scam!

Do you have anything to gain from this company by pushing it’s products?

[quote]ZEB wrote:
AlanR wrote:
Has anyone tried the liquid multi-vitamin/multi-mineral called “1st Step”

Apparently we only abosrb 10% of a pill or capsule therefore this liquid multi claims much better absorption. This product was recommend by the website “Regeneration”. This website focuses on recovery.

Liquid may get into your system faster however I don’t buy into the notion that we only absorb 10% of a pill or capsule. Especially if you consume your vitamins along with your food, as is always recommended.

When a company comes along and makes such an outrageous claim I tend to call scam!

Do you have anything to gain from this company by pushing it’s products?
[/quote]

I need to seriously consider changing the way I state my posts. This is not the first time I’ve been accused of pushing a product/company.

The only thing I have to gain from using this product is better recovery at a lower price. I just started using this product. Prior to 1st Step I was using the USANA multivitamin & multimineral. I was satisfied with the results but the product is not cheap.

AlanR:

After reading the last line of my previous post I think it came off as a bit accusatory. Sorry about that.

It’s just that I have seen these “liquid vitamins” before and just don’t buy into the concept. A few years ago “spray vitamins” got somewhat popular, pushed by a multi-level marketing company. I’m not stating that these types of vitamins won’t work. It’s just that there is no need to deviate from pills and capsules taken with food.

They are time tested and proven reliable!

My best to you,

Zeb

Zeb - the main reason I am trying this product is because of the source that recommended it. This source is a frequent contributor on the Charlie Francis web site as well as having his own site. His main focus is recovery.

[quote]AlanR wrote:
Has anyone tried the liquid multi-vitamin/multi-mineral called “1st Step”?

Apparently we only abosrb 10% of a pill or capsule therefore this liquid multi claims much better absorption. This product was recommend by the website “Regeneration”. This website focuses on recovery.[/quote]

Wow…I see a number of problems with that product’s claims.

First, as a general rule of thumb, it is true that oral bioavailability of a given compound tends to decrease when going from a solution to suspension to capsule to tablet. However, there are many exceptions to the rule. One obviously being a solid dispersion in a capsule (i.e., the nanodispersion used in nearly all of Biotest’s encapsulated products). In many cases, of course, depending on the physiochemical properties of the given compound, being in a solid dispersion yields a higher oral bioavailability than the same compound in solution or suspension.

As for the 10% absorption. That’s a very interesting, albeit incorrect, figure. To say that each and every compound (i.e., each vitamin and mineral) has the same exact oral bioavailability is ridiculous. This is definitely, the worst and most absurd claim made. The only place I think of where they might have derived that ridiculous figure is the idea of the “first-pass effect” in which many texts will refer to a 90% clearance. But to apply this to every vitamin and mineral is nonsensical. If that’s their reasoning, let’s just forget about everything we know and assume every compound in the universe undergoes extensive first-pass metabolism.

It also seems they’re saying they have a solvent which allows every compound to go in to solution and doesn’t alter or interfere with absorption itself and in fact, enhances the absorption of each compound is almost as bad as the above statement.

In short, whether this product works well for people or not, I don’t know, but the claims made are false.

Cy - Let me ask you the question - How do you assess the effectivenss of a multivitamin/multimineral? I’ve got to think there are good and bad ones. All I’m trying to do is experiment with this liquid version to see if it is even better than the Usana version which I was previously taking.

[quote]AlanR wrote:
Cy - Let me ask you the question - How do you assess the effectivenss of a multivitamin/multimineral? I’ve got to think there are good and bad ones. All I’m trying to do is experiment with this liquid version to see if it is even better than the Usana version which I was previously taking. [/quote]

Good question! Unfortunately, I don’t know. The problem being that an alteration in the level of a particular vitamin or mineral, for the most part, doesn’t seem to produce an acute change, unless you’re talking about being either completely deficient or overdosing.

In other words, you’re not going to see a physical or easily observable change in a person who has a 10% increase in a given mineral in the serum versus another brand. I’d think that the only way to really know is to compare each vitamin/mineral prepartion and then compare blood levels over time and perhaps see if you “feel” any different, as much as I hate to say that. :slight_smile:

Cy - thanks for the reply

I may have found the answer to my question. When I mentioned to the person (who is very knowledgeable from a recovery point of view)endorsing the liquid multivitamin/multimineral that I previously used Usana, he basically said Usana was better. However, he still endorsed the liquid multi based on cost and quality - but Usana was of a higher quality.