Multi-Part MA/WL Question

Hello,

I’ve recently been doing the wide array of fat loss programs found on T-Nation. I’ve just recently(3 months ago) gotten back into weight lifting and have a few pounds to shed.

So far I have done 10x3FFL, CT’s Lactate-style fat loss program and have recently started the new fat loss program highlighted by AC and CW term “Real Fast Fat Loss”(among a few others).

I’m going to start training Brazilian Jujitsu in in the following weeks and began to contemplate my workout breakdown:

I can make it to the gym pretty much every day if I needed to(baring any complications with work). BJJ training is only on Tuesday/Thursday from 6:30-8:30 pm and Saturday from 2:00-4:00pm. I get out of work at 3:30 and have ~15 minute drive to the gym and another ~20 minute drive home. I workout efficiently enough to where I can make the BJJ training sessions if I was working out on the same day. The question is, should I be working out on the same day? It would look something like this:

4:00-(5:15-5:30) Weight Lighting
6:30-8:30 BJJ

I’m fairly certain I can’t maintain myself through the very CNS intensive Fat loss programs all while doing BJJ on the same day. I’m also confident that the increase activity can/will help me shed the last ~10 or so pounds I’d like to lose.

Having said that, I’m not certain on how to break down my workout schedule or which style of programs to look into. I don’t think I will be able to sustain the CNS intensive fat loss programs(at least not on the same day, but then again, on opposing days would be 5-6 days a week constant training). I still have some pounds to lose, so I’d think that would rule out any “mass gaining” style program as well.

Likewise, do I split up my workouts or leave them on the same days? If I have a 3-4 day a week program on the opposing days of my BJJ training that would leave me with 1/0 days of rest. If I double up my workouts on certain days I will get enough days rest, but I will have to make sure I have enough in the tank after my weight session to train BJJ.

Also, if I do double up on my workouts on certain days I’m unsure where a Post-Workout shake/meal would fit.

Anyway, that’s enough for now. Thanks for any input/thoughts you guys have.

[quote]Sykotik wrote:
Hello,

I’ve recently been doing the wide array of fat loss programs found on T-Nation. I’ve just recently(3 months ago) gotten back into weight lifting and have a few pounds to shed.

So far I have done 10x3FFL, CT’s Lactate-style fat loss program and have recently started the new fat loss program highlighted by AC and CW term “Real Fast Fat Loss”(among a few others).

I’m going to start training Brazilian Jujitsu in in the following weeks and began to contemplate my workout breakdown:

I can make it to the gym pretty much every day if I needed to(baring any complications with work). BJJ training is only on Tuesday/Thursday from 6:30-8:30 pm and Saturday from 2:00-4:00pm. I get out of work at 3:30 and have ~15 minute drive to the gym and another ~20 minute drive home. I workout efficiently enough to where I can make the BJJ training sessions if I was working out on the same day. The question is, should I be working out on the same day? It would look something like this:

4:00-(5:15-5:30) Weight Lighting
6:30-8:30 BJJ

I’m fairly certain I can’t maintain myself through the very CNS intensive Fat loss programs all while doing BJJ on the same day. I’m also confident that the increase activity can/will help me shed the last ~10 or so pounds I’d like to lose.

Having said that, I’m not certain on how to break down my workout schedule or which style of programs to look into. I don’t think I will be able to sustain the CNS intensive fat loss programs(at least not on the same day, but then again, on opposing days would be 5-6 days a week constant training). I still have some pounds to lose, so I’d think that would rule out any “mass gaining” style program as well.

Likewise, do I split up my workouts or leave them on the same days? If I have a 3-4 day a week program on the opposing days of my BJJ training that would leave me with 1/0 days of rest. If I double up my workouts on certain days I will get enough days rest, but I will have to make sure I have enough in the tank after my weight session to train BJJ.

Also, if I do double up on my workouts on certain days I’m unsure where a Post-Workout shake/meal would fit.

Anyway, that’s enough for now. Thanks for any input/thoughts you guys have. [/quote]

I would try to avoid doing something as intense as MA training on the same day as lifting with less than 6 hours rest in between

If you train BJJ 3 days/week and lift weights on 3 days, 1 off day, you won’t even need a special fat loss program, you will most likely use so much calories that you’ll lose weight just by eating like a ‘normal’ person.

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
I would try to avoid doing something as intense as MA training on the same day as lifting with less than 6 hours rest in between

If you train BJJ 3 days/week and lift weights on 3 days, 1 off day, you won’t even need a special fat loss program, you will most likely use so much calories that you’ll lose weight just by eating like a ‘normal’ person.

[/quote]
That’s what I figured, in terms of workout selection. Ditching the fat loss programs would require me to pick up another one. I’m not sure which to look into during the period where I still want to drop weight.

One final bump, then I’ll let it drop if it does.

Thanks for the input.