Mule's Vert. Update

mule your vertical is better than jordans!!!

he measured 35.9

http://isb.ri.ccf.org/biomch-l/archives/biomch-l-1999-05/00022.html

go to the url and scroll down most of the way… there is a study on jordans leap…

Interesting, his jump increases 10 inches when leaping off a running start.

I wonder if he improved these numbers upon becoming a pro.

that’s where elasticity and spring come in :slight_smile:

also the non jumping leg provides additional lift as it swings upwards with the arms.

Goldberg: My senior year of highschool I standing long jumped 9’11", yesterday I was marked officially at 9’9". I jumped 10 but they said they can’t give in to you unless you hold your spot (I bounced forward on my last two so only 9’9" held)

Chris Aus: I don’t really know how to answer your question. I could tell you that I think I am a good linebacker, or I could have people attest to my skill, but the fact is, I haven’t gotton on the field at the Division I level yet, so, I won’t say anything… A bunch of our games are going to be nationally televised next year, so you can check those out I guess (I’ll give updates on my number and position, etc.) And now that you get me thinking, I might throw some clips of our spring game coming up in a few months.

Late,
Mule

What a coincidence. I long jumped 9’9 yesterday. I had two of my students jump over 10.

Are there differences in the standing vertical leap and jumping off the run or off of one foot like in basketball? What type of training/exercises would improve one’s ability to jump off the run, when your feet aren’t perfectly set?

TrenchDawg,

Search for “White Men Can Jump” in this forum. Kelly B and I discuss the differences between the two types of jump. This thread is a good extension of that of that one…

Silverback,

I am actually looking for specific exercises. I was a contributor to the thread “white men can jump” and it only mentioned exercises for improving the standing vert.

Trench.

yo mule if you want to increase your vert Joe Defranco is the guy…He had me jumping 35 at 260. (playing tight end D1 football) and thats pretty good for me…

Trenchdawg,

One was actually featured in my article, “Construction by Adduction.” Also, as long as you’re doing a fair amount of single leg work in your strength training sessions and multiplanar/single leg stuff in conditioning sessions outside the gym, the gains in strength and power you see from traditional “feet side-by-side movements” will carryover to increases in vertical jump from a run.

Trench,

Eric is right. Also remember that the elastic component of your lower leg is also a bigger factor, so exercises which maximize this will help. Also, you must be doing 1-Legged jumping regularly, as efficiency and coordination play a role. This is why I could alwys vertical nearly as high as moving except for the few years I triple jumped. I just was used to firing off of two feet.

Thanks Eric and Silverback,

What exercises would target the elasticity of the lower leg?

I have access to both a Vertec and an electronic mat. We set the Vertec up right next to the mat and got both measurements at the same time.

The difference every time was either + or - roughly 1/2 inch when comparing the two sets of data.

As a coach you have to watch the landing on the electronic mat. Tucking the knees to the chest or a pike jump is not allowed. An easy way to get just a little more height is to flex your toes to your knees on the landing.

Athletes need a little getting used to the mat. And this is something that needs to be addressed before incorporating it into testing.

We used our mat for the first time in testing a large group of athletes. Some went up compared to their Vertec numbers and others went down.

Is that Dreesen or Scanlan?