Muay Thai vs. Tae Kwon Do

[quote]Brotha123 wrote:
Thank you everyone for the input. Carlos why the Muay Thai place?[/quote]

Here’s the thing. While Tae Kwon Do is a very valid martial art and has its place, most TKD places are way too soft. Most TKD places don’t even spar hard, let alone “properly”. I mean, fighting with hands at the sides? Makes me puke. Sadly, most TKD people fight with this stance. Add some stupid bouncy-bouncy footwork to it, and you have an art that’s been watered down and degraded beyond all belief.

Most importantly it depends on who is teaching/ coaching. I would rather train a martial art with an awsome instructor than another one with sub par instructors. Example. would you rather train tkd with olympians like jimmmy kim, steven lopez, herb perez etc, or your run of the mill muay thai school. Or vice versa, a normal tkd school that does not compete in USAT or AAU large events like nationals, US Open, Pan Ams etc and have a muay thai school run by Phil Nurse, Mark Dellagrote, etc I would much rather train with muay thai people in that instance.

Good competition tkd schools train HARD. morning conditioning, 2 hour classes of drills and sparring. I dont care if someone is a black belt in tkd and says its worthless if they havent fought in big events like nationals, the various Opens, etc. I have trained with people that medaled in those events and fought in some. It is no joke and those people have ridiculous kicking skills, movement, ring management and speed.

That being said, the fighting methodology is COMPLETLEY different. Muay thai is more close range, less movement and more power oriented. Tkd is more distancing/movement and speed oriented. I love both. Their is nothing like solid knees and elbows to destroy someone, and in tkd landing solid spinning hook kicks, roundhouses etc is also awsome.

Try them both out, see who is coaching and teaching classes in either and get a feel for the schools. The style versus style thing is rather lame, martial artists of a high caliber in any art are worthy of respect. Ive even started learning wing chun drills from a tkd fellow i train with. Try stuff out, see what you like and what fits your personality

[quote]666Rich wrote:
Most importantly it depends on who is teaching/ coaching. I would rather train a martial art with an awsome instructor than another one with sub par instructors. Example. would you rather train tkd with olympians like jimmmy kim, steven lopez, herb perez etc, or your run of the mill muay thai school. Or vice versa, a normal tkd school that does not compete in USAT or AAU large events like nationals, US Open, Pan Ams etc and have a muay thai school run by Phil Nurse, Mark Dellagrote, etc I would much rather train with muay thai people in that instance.

Good competition tkd schools train HARD. morning conditioning, 2 hour classes of drills and sparring. I dont care if someone is a black belt in tkd and says its worthless if they havent fought in big events like nationals, the various Opens, etc. I have trained with people that medaled in those events and fought in some. It is no joke and those people have ridiculous kicking skills, movement, ring management and speed.

That being said, the fighting methodology is COMPLETLEY different. Muay thai is more close range, less movement and more power oriented. Tkd is more distancing/movement and speed oriented. I love both. Their is nothing like solid knees and elbows to destroy someone, and in tkd landing solid spinning hook kicks, roundhouses etc is also awsome.

Try them both out, see who is coaching and teaching classes in either and get a feel for the schools. The style versus style thing is rather lame, martial artists of a high caliber in any art are worthy of respect. Ive even started learning wing chun drills from a tkd fellow i train with. Try stuff out, see what you like and what fits your personality[/quote]

Excellent post, as usual from you.

[quote]666Rich wrote:

Try them both out, see who is coaching and teaching classes in either and get a feel for the schools. The style versus style thing is rather lame, martial artists of a high caliber in any art are worthy of respect. Ive even started learning wing chun drills from a tkd fellow i train with. Try stuff out, see what you like and what fits your personality[/quote]

This. Listen to him, Brotha123.

If a school doesn’t fight hard, it’s worthless.

I just found out that a TKD school in our area is coming to spar with our Muay Thai camp in two weeks. Of course,the consensus from my students is that they’re going to beat down the TKD guys/gals. That may be true for a select few,but some of them are going to have a wake up call. A person who half-asses with Muay Thai training is going to have their hands full with the TKD person who busts their ass…vice-versa,imo.

Definitely going to be interesting. I will update how that goes.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
I just found out that a TKD school in our area is coming to spar with our Muay Thai camp in two weeks. Of course,the consensus from my students is that they’re going to beat down the TKD guys/gals. That may be true for a select few,but some of them are going to have a wake up call. A person who half-asses with Muay Thai training is going to have their hands full with the TKD person who busts their ass…vice-versa,imo.

Definitely going to be interesting. I will update how that goes. [/quote]

Did it happen? Really curious how it went.

I used to do TKD (Jr. High/high-school) and took it pretty seriously. I’ve since switch to Muay Thai (after a number of years of doing nothing) and I’m convinced that my TKD made be a better all around fighter, just in that I have a whole other set of tool in my box. And when those big TKD kicks connect they can leave someone unable to get up.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

Definitely going to be interesting. I will update how that goes. [/quote]

Did it happen? Really curious how it went.

I used to do TKD (Jr. High/high-school) and took it pretty seriously. I’ve since switch to Muay Thai (after a number of years of doing nothing) and I’m convinced that my TKD made be a better all around fighter, just in that I have a whole other set of tool in my box. And when those big TKD kicks connect they can leave someone unable to get up.
[/quote]

No…it didn’t happen. They backed out the week it was supposed to happen. We did have a few guys from another gym come in…so it was still a good time.