Muay Thai Training in Thailand

The old thread on this is locked for some reason.

Any recent suggestions for gyms in Thailand? Alaska is getting cold and the rain and snow are falling. Planning the winter escape and have December free for Thailand. I learned Thai 20 years ago and can read, write and speak Thai well enough to have a decent conversation at Thai restaurant. So I figure that I can ask around once I get there if worse comes to worst. General location advice also appreciated, ie Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai. Also I am not against the beach and some sunshine either.

Thank you travelocity nation.

Tiger Muay Thai is very famous for receiving foreigners and have an excellent structure

Tiger has many Thai fighters, several of them fight at the big stadiums in Bangkok! Including Yodbuaphet who is making a name for himself fighting at Lumpinee, Rajadamnern and fighting on TV at Omnoi stadium. Lamsongkram also moved to Tiger now, he is the current Rajadamnern champion at 160lbs.

This is Yodbuaphet’s last fight at Lumpinee (they spelled his name wrong haha) Tiger Muay Thai Fighter Yodbuaphet fights @ Lumpinee Stadium, Bangkok - YouTube

I’ve trained at Tiger for years so obviously I suggest it, but there are many many great gyms all over Thailand.
Watcharachai Kaewsamrit is opening a gym in BKK in November. He’s a quality trainer so I’m sure his gym will be class.

Thanks for the insight. I hope to make a few calls through friends of friends as well, will let you know if something unmentioned pops up.

the fighters from my gym they prefer:

• Kawaesamrit in Bangkok
  • Sityodtong in Pattaya
  • Scorpion Gym in Pattaya

They told me tiger muay thai is a bit flooded with mediocre foreign fighters because it it is so popular. Training in the before mentioned gyms is more serious and not just business. But that is just here say

read the reviews on fightpassport.com

At Tiger, people train with other people of a similar experience/skill level. Beginners train with beginners, pro fighters train with pro fighters. Tiger has a group of foreign fighters who are far from mediocre; Don Madge (ranked 2nd in the world by WPMF at 154lbs), Claire Haigh (2 x world champion), Muhsin Corbbrey etc. I also like to think I’m a bit better than mediocre :stuck_out_tongue: haha
But yeah, I can understand that some people don’t like training at a gym as big as Tiger. And if you’re not an experienced fighter you probably won’t get to train directly with the young Thai fighters.
Lots of gyms to train in Thailand and different ones suit different people, so best to do some good research before booking a camp.

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:
At Tiger, people train with other people of a similar experience/skill level. Beginners train with beginners, pro fighters train with pro fighters. Tiger has a group of foreign fighters who are far from mediocre; Don Madge (ranked 2nd in the world by WPMF at 154lbs), Claire Haigh (2 x world champion), Muhsin Corbbrey etc. I also like to think I’m a bit better than mediocre :stuck_out_tongue: haha
But yeah, I can understand that some people don’t like training at a gym as big as Tiger. And if you’re not an experienced fighter you probably won’t get to train directly with the young Thai fighters.
Lots of gyms to train in Thailand and different ones suit different people, so best to do some
good research before booking a camp.[/qu

good info mate-thanks for that.i too thought tiger sounded a bit mainstream and sort of sell out i guess as it got too well known.good to know that they have some real fighters train there.

quick question-for the bigger guys,say over 100kg is it practical to train muay thai over in thailand?i mean are there bigger guys to spar with etc .i have researched a bit and they all seem extremely lean and the technique level is high but they seem small.maybe 75kg tops.

thanks for any advice.

cheers,

[quote]Chris-Adams wrote:
Has anyone ever trained at Patong boxing gym?

Its more expensive then Suwit (30000 baht compared to 1100g0 baht for a months training and accommodation) but i keep hearing good reviews about it and I like the fact that it is always personal training and your never left on your own. Plus the facilities and location are excellent.[/quote]

I don’t know your experience level but that is EXPENSIVE AS HELL for thailand standards and unless they have top notch trainers and you are advanced i don’t see many benefits you could learn as much from less overpriced places.

keep us posted and post some pics and videos about your training. a log would be cool too.

Cool, I’ll be back in Phuket in 6 weeks :slight_smile:

Looks like Bangkok for December. I’ve spoken to a reasonably reliable friend who says he has a friend who trains with a gym that will take me if I can handle the thai language and don’t get in the way. I’ll let you know how it works out, no website apparently. No beach either, but apparently a lot of water.

Glad I have two kidneys.

i dont mean to hijack but im planning to go over to Thailand to teach English at the end of the university year (before i loose my mind brooding over my hatred for my program how useless my degree is, my mountain of student debt and the closing chapter of my youth ).

it looks pretty flexible in terms of location and pays 1400 Canadian per month plus accommodations, i know that this will undoubtedly hinder my training schedule but my question is for any of you guys who have trained over there have you or any one you know worked full time while training in thailand? if so how did that workout for them? i noticed looking on some of the sites specifically tiger when they talked about meal plans they averaged it around 2 meals a day and i kinda shuddered when i thought about my 4-5 thousand call a day intake.

jonnyTMT, just wondering how much you usually spend a month while in Phuket? [/quote]

Hmmm I probably spend about 150 baht a day on food plus 2600 baht a month for my room so about 7100 baht I guess. I am very boring though and pretty much only eat, sleep and train.

[quote]westdale warrior wrote:
i dont mean to hijack but im planning to go over to Thailand to teach English at the end of the university year (before i loose my mind brooding over my hatred for my program how useless my degree is, my mountain of student debt and the closing chapter of my youth ).

it looks pretty flexible in terms of location and pays 1400 Canadian per month plus accommodations, i know that this will undoubtedly hinder my training schedule but my question is for any of you guys who have trained over there have you or any one you know worked full time while training in thailand? if so how did that workout for them? i noticed looking on some of the sites specifically tiger when they talked about meal plans they averaged it around 2 meals a day and i kinda shuddered when i thought about my 4-5 thousand call a day intake.[/quote]

I know a few guys who worked as teachers while also training and competing in Muay Thai. They trained one time a day and seemed to manage ok.

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:

I know a few guys who worked as teachers while also training and competing in Muay Thai. They trained one time a day and seemed to manage ok.[/quote]

excellent thanks!

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:

jonnyTMT, just wondering how much you usually spend a month while in Phuket? [/quote]

Hmmm I probably spend about 150 baht a day on food plus 2600 baht a month for my room so about 7100 baht I guess. I am very boring though and pretty much only eat, sleep and train.[/quote]

Would you give more insight?

I’m curious about where you train, your accommodations, i’m interested in traveling to Thailand this last year.

Do you always eat out? or do you have oven/fridge for cooking on your room?

I train at Tiger Muay Thai in Phuket, I’m sponsored by them so I don’t have to pay for training. I live in a room in the same apartment block as my trainer. I eat at various restaurants on the road where I live. Food costs between 35-50 baht a meal, and I have a fridge to store snacks and milk.

wow that’s awesome

So if i end up on Tiger Muay Thai i’ll be sure to meet you =)

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:
wow that’s awesome

So if i end up on Tiger Muay Thai i’ll be sure to meet you =)[/quote]

Thailand friendship trio?

[quote]westdale warrior wrote:

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:
wow that’s awesome

So if i end up on Tiger Muay Thai i’ll be sure to meet you =)[/quote]

Thailand friendship trio?[/quote]

it would be nice to have some company!