Muay Thai for Self Defense

This video was posted elsewhere on the internet apparently this site isnt big on other sites being linked), and it sums up everything here pretty nicely. Well worth a watch. No idea how to embed it, sorry.

- YouTube!

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:
This video was posted elsewhere on the internet apparently this site isnt big on other sites being linked), and it sums up everything here pretty nicely. Well worth a watch. No idea how to embed it, sorry.

Find the video on youtube, not directly from another imbed.

Copy Address from the address bar at the top of browser

Much obliged, mate.

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:
Much obliged, mate.[/quote]

The trick is to use a wrist lock to gain youtube compliance…you work those right?

Good video and worth the watch for anyone wondering.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]harmony72 wrote:
Is Muay thai good to learn if i want to defend myself in the streets? There’s seem to be a good school that teaches muay thai im my area. I’ve looked into krav maga, but the sense i get is that the schools doesnt seem that good. Of course im basing all this on reading online reviews and looking at the school’s websites.[/quote]

Thumbs up for Muay Thai!

[quote]harmony72 wrote:
Is Muay thai good to learn if i want to defend myself in the streets? There’s seem to be a good school that teaches muay thai im my area. I’ve looked into krav maga, but the sense i get is that the schools doesnt seem that good. Of course im basing all this on reading online reviews and looking at the school’s websites.[/quote]

yes is really efective, but you should learn self defence techniques as a complement. I recommend you to check this thread:

is about a bouncer ( crosstrained bjj and muay thai) and his experience in a street fight

^^^Yes, weapons (and multiple attackers) change things significantly between what happens in the ring and what happens in real life and again one of the reasons why just training in a combat sport, regardless of which one, is insufficient for preparing someone for real world combat. They can be great supplemental training aids though as long as you understand the difference and prioritize the skills you train most.

Muay Thai is really good for self defense because you will be efficient in using 8 points of contact to devastating effect, but it will take a long time to cortical remodel both your shin bones like the professionals who are able to go “shin to shin” with each other in the ring. It is really popular nowadays, which is good and also bad because on one hand it promotes the sport outside Thailand, on the other there will be no discipline and people abusing their skills and looking for fights outside the ring vs untrained opponents.

I haven’t taken part in other martial arts, but if you are studying a martial art in general, you will feel more secure and apt as opposed to joe blogs on the street. I think the best thing to do is avoid confrontation on the street though. If their friends don’t get you, you will more than likely get a vengeful knife in the back later in life.

Bumping this thread. It really does have some gems of information in it.