Muay Thai Follow Up

Hey guys,

I posted about a month ago how I was starting muay thai training and was going to start a strength cycle. So far, muay thai is going great! I’m very impressed with how much power can be generated for the kicks, but I’m still struggling to learn how to get your hip more involved. (its damn hard to figure out when to turn that hip over) I’ve been following an abbreviated lifting routine with great success. So far, I’ve added 20 lbs on my overhead press, 15 lbs on my dumbbell press, and cleans are up 10 lbs as well. Weighted chins are up to 45 lbs! (I know this isn’t great, but I started with 10 lbs earlier this month and that was a struggle).

This is what I’ve been doing:

Monday:
Full Squats: 2x5
cleans 3x3
Explosive flat dumbell press: 3x5

Tuesday:
Deadlift: 2x5
Weighted pullups: 3x5
See-saw press: 2x5

Thursday:
cleans 3x3

Friday:
See-saw Press: 2x5

I’m going to stay with this until I feel I can take the workouts from muay thai without being physically worn out and also when I feel this routine isn’t doing much for me anymore.

Just wanted to do a follow up, and say thanks for all the responses you guys gave me in the previous post.

glad you gave a followup… great to hear that your enjoying it and doing well!!

Sorry, if you answered this in your first thread but how frequently are you training Muay Thai? I was thinking about going 2x per week plus using Defrancos WSFSB, I’m wondering if I can sustain the load.

[quote]BackInAction wrote:
Hey guys,

I posted about a month ago how I was starting muay thai training and was going to start a strength cycle. So far, muay thai is going great! I’m very impressed with how much power can be generated for the kicks, but I’m still struggling to learn how to get your hip more involved. (its damn hard to figure out when to turn that hip over) I’ve been following an abbreviated lifting routine with great success. So far, I’ve added 20 lbs on my overhead press, 15 lbs on my dumbbell press, and cleans are up 10 lbs as well. Weighted chins are up to 45 lbs! (I know this isn’t great, but I started with 10 lbs earlier this month and that was a struggle).

This is what I’ve been doing:

Monday:
cleans 3x3

Tuesday:
See-saw press: 2x5

Thursday:
cleans 3x3

Friday:
See-saw Press: 2x5

I’m going to stay with this until I feel I can take the workouts from muay thai without being physically worn out and also when I feel this routine isn’t doing much for me anymore.

Just wanted to do a follow up, and say thanks for all the responses you guys gave me in the previous post.[/quote]

back in action,
who are you training with?
this may sound funny but it might help with your kicks.launch your hip first.most ppl want to throw or muscle the whole leg into their kicks, and turn their hip at the end.if you launch your hip first,you will turn the hip over so that you can get your kick to come around,along with all the weight.this works best with the bent knee or knee kick.

[quote]Sonic Reducer wrote:
Sorry, if you answered this in your first thread but how frequently are you training Muay Thai? I was thinking about going 2x per week plus using Defrancos WSFSB, I’m wondering if I can sustain the load.[/quote]

sonic reducer,
you’re not by chance an OVERKILL fan are you?

Hey Sonic,

I train 3-5 times a week depending on my schedule (college work sometimes needs to get done). I found that in the beginning, I was burnt out, but I looked at my training program and realized that heavy volume wasn’t helping my muay thai progress. Try the program you were thinking of, if after a couple weeks you are still burnt out and your training (for muay thai) is suffering, lower the volume.

Personally, I wouldn’t do any lifting for the first 2 weeks if you are starting muay thai.

Hey Havoc,

I’m training with Duke Roufus in Milwaukee, WI. I’ll try that tip with getting the hip involved. I think that’s the hardest part of these kicks. Before, all my kicks have been a result from taekwondo or karate so this style of kicks is far different (but I like it much better).

Here is the web site for Duke’s gym:

www.milwkick.com

Hey Havoc,

I’m training with Duke Roufus in Milwaukee, WI. I’ll try that tip with getting the hip involved. I think that’s the hardest part of these kicks. Before, all my kicks have been a result from taekwondo or karate so this style of kicks is far different (but I like it much better).

Here is the web site for Duke’s gym:

www.milwkick.com[/quote]

tell Duke Kirk Robison from pennsylvania said hi.he might not remember me.
you’re in very able hands.he’ll have you doing it right,no problem.
do you ever train with bryce franck?i fought bryce back in 2001,in milwaukee…good fighter.i wanted to come out there and train but with family and work,it was impossible.

we fought at some place called the eagle something or other?the upstairs(where we fought)was called one thing and i think the downstairs was called the rave or something. Duke fought some freakin huge mexican fighter.Duke schooled him pretty good. every fight ended by ko or tko except mine,but i still lost.i also had my first thai food compliments of duke.

he was imitating eric roberts from the movie “the pope of greenwich village”.had me rolling.he was actually pretty good.
he has some very good fighters out there.what weight are you?

Sure, I’ll tell Duke tomorrow. I’ll be there in the afternoon so hopefully he’ll be around. He really does know his stuff, I was very lucky to find a place like this so close to my school. I don’t think I’ve trained with franck yet, if I do I’ll let ya know.

You guys fought at the Rave! Haha! That’s awesome. The Rave is also called the Eagles Club, which is where all the bands play now. I never knew they did any sporting events there, that’s pretty cool.

Right now I weight 175 lbs at 5’9. I’m not sure if I’ll compete, but hopefully I’ll get good enough to where I can choose if I want to.

BTW, cool stories!

I actually take that back about Bryce “Bam Bam” Franck. I haven’t trained with him, but he is fighting down here on the 21st. I believe he is going to fight at the “Colosseum Returns” on the 21st. I just realized that as I looked at a poster in my room and saw his picture, haha.

If you want more info about it try

www.milwkick.com

it should be on the first page

[quote]havoc501 wrote:
Sonic Reducer wrote:
Sorry, if you answered this in your first thread but how frequently are you training Muay Thai? I was thinking about going 2x per week plus using Defrancos WSFSB, I’m wondering if I can sustain the load.

sonic reducer,
[/quote]

Actually, my handle is the name of a Dead Boys song but alot of bands have covered it.

Sure, I’ll tell Duke tomorrow. I’ll be there in the afternoon so hopefully he’ll be around. He really does know his stuff, I was very lucky to find a place like this so close to my school. I don’t think I’ve trained with franck yet, if I do I’ll let ya know.

You guys fought at the Rave! Haha! That’s awesome. The Rave is also called the Eagles Club, which is where all the bands play now. I never knew they did any sporting events there, that’s pretty cool.

Right now I weight 175 lbs at 5’9. I’m not sure if I’ll compete, but hopefully I’ll get good enough to where I can choose if I want to.

BTW, cool stories![/quote]

yeah he’s a cool guy.right before my fight,i had a superheavyweight who was fighting at the ikf nationals.i couldn’t be there so he went alone.my friend who got me the fight in milwaukee was friends with duke. i knew duke was going to be at the nationals so i asked my friend if he would ask duke to corner my fighter at the nationals.

duke had a busy schedule with his own fighters but helped my guy out anyways.it was his first fight,in a place he’d never been to,in a situation he wasn’t use to,and nervous.having a world class fighter and trainer in your corner under those situations isn’t a bad thing.
heres a funny story. the fighter i was telling you about kept telling me in jest for months before the fight that he was going to go there and end up facing ivan drago from the rocky movie.

sonofbitch if he didn’t draw a russian,who was ex military named leo pavlushkin.big sonofabitch.270-280.not ripped but solid.how could you be more unlucky,all the other bullshit and your worst nightmare.

our fights were right after 9/11.it was a pretty emotional time out there.

havoc501 wrote:
Sonic Reducer wrote:

sonic reducer,

Actually, my handle is the name of a Dead Boys song but alot of bands have covered it. [/quote]

wonder what year that was?had to be early 80’s right?hell maybe even the late 70’s.overkill did it in the mid 80’s.never knew it was a dead boys song.

Sorry, if you answered this in your first thread but how frequently are you training Muay Thai? I was thinking about going 2x per week plus using Defrancos WSFSB, I’m wondering if I can sustain the load.[/quote]

I bet you can. I made some pretty big gains while doing Poliquin’s 1-6 program for the front squat, weighted chin, and bench press two times a week and a higher rep day another day, while doing Muay Thai 3-4 days a week for about three hours at a time. The body can adapt to take lots of physical stress as long as you have been training hard before. Just make sure you eat like a pig.

BTW, cool stories![/quote]

whats up?
just wondering if you talked to duke and if he remembered me?

i agree with the statment that you should be turning your hip over to start the kick, not starting the kick then turning your hips.

Hey havoc,

I didn’t see him at the gym yesteday, but I’ll be there this saturday. I know he’ll be there then. I want to talk to him about this too! haha

I’ll keep ya informed!

Backinaction…Have you ever checked out Medina’s Thai boxing in Waukesha? My husband and I take Muay Thai classes there and Mr.Medina is an excellent teacher. I know Waukesha might not be fesiable to get too sometimes…but great classes. Mr.Medina’s teaching is VERY different from Rufus, but it might be fun for you to try out.

Backinaction…Have you ever checked out Medina’s Thai boxing in Waukesha? My husband and I take Muay Thai classes there and Mr.Medina is an excellent teacher. I know Waukesha might not be fesiable to get too sometimes…but great classes. Mr.Medina’s teaching is VERY different from Rufus, but it might be fun for you to try out.

Hey Buffy,

No, I haven’t actually checked it out. I’m from Illinois (one of those damned people, haha) so I have only been to a couple spots in wisconsin.

What are the classes like there? Is the gym different?