Muay Thai Conditioning

I am interested in what the usual running/calisthenics conditioning work is that goes on during Muay Thai training. If anyone can give a rundown of the normal week for a Muay Thai fighter or your personal regimen I would be appreciative.

This is my training regime I follow when getting ready for a fight at Tiger Muay Thai.

7.30 run/bike
8.00 skipping
8.30 shadow boxing/sparring/pads/bag work
9.30 clinching
10.00 300 knees on bag, 200 front kicks, 100 elbows
10.15 2/300 sit ups, 100 push ups, chin ups, weights
10.45 finish

Repeat again in the afternoon.

is your run a jog for the time or something like 4 miles?

It’s a run between 5-7 kilometres. I try to keep a decent pace throughout (to avoid the stray dogs haha). Don’t run very often now cos it usually results in my old knee injury flaring up, so I use a stationary bike and do sprints on it.

Sorry man, only just read this thread- that is amazing. How many days a week do you train this way? And you say you do this in the build up to a fight, how many weeks of this punishment are we talking about?! And how does sparring fit in?

Also, on a more practical note, could you say a bit more about the bike as a conditioning tool? I too have an old knee injury but have always stayed away from the bike because of warnings about repetitive strain or something like that, due to the restricted plane of movement.

due to class times i can only train muay thai 1 day a week.
mon-weights and cardio(bag work or treadmill)
tue-same
wed-muay thai(15 min warm up,15 mins technique,15 mins sparring,15 cool down and sretching).
thur -2 hrs bjj
fri-rest
sat- weights and cardio.

[quote]Roundhead wrote:
Sorry man, only just read this thread- that is amazing. How many days a week do you train this way? And you say you do this in the build up to a fight, how many weeks of this punishment are we talking about?! And how does sparring fit in?

Also, on a more practical note, could you say a bit more about the bike as a conditioning tool? I too have an old knee injury but have always stayed away from the bike because of warnings about repetitive strain or something like that, due to the restricted plane of movement.[/quote]

Training is 6 days a week, with Sunday off. I train at that intensity for about 10-14 days before a fight, between fights I take it easier. Sparring is usually 3 days a week, 4 rounds boxing sparring in the morning and 4 rounds Muay Thai in the afternoon. I’m just coming back from a 2 month shoulder injury now, so I’m starting with training 1 time a day and building up again.

I’ve never had a problem with repetitive strain or anything. For conditioning I warm up on an easier resistance for 10 minutes, then crank up the resistance and do intervals of 1 minute going as hard as I can with 1 minute rest. As I get fitter, I increase the interval time. Give it a go, if you push yourself it is a killer.

here is the training schedule of kaewsamrit gym. I am working up to the this level of cardio. Right now I skip rope 20 min 3 days/week and run 6km 3 days/week. I should be up to the following times within the month

Morning

* 6 a.m The morning session starts with a 10-12 kilometer run.
* Pad session with trainer 3-4 rounds of 5 minute duration with one round focusing on boxing and elbows only.
* Bag work 4 rounds of 5 minute duration.
* 30 minutes of clinch and knee work
* general conditioning work such as pull-ups, 300 sit-ups
* this is followed by a light warm down
* 10 am morning meal followed by rest period

Afternoon

* 3 p.m skipping for 30 minutes
* Pad work with trainer 5-6 rounds of 5 minute duration with 1-2 rounds focusing on boxing and elbows only.
* Bagwork 5 rounds of 5 minute duration
* Technical sparing 3 rounds of 5 minute duration
* 30 minutes of Clinch and knee work
* light jog or 2-3 kilometers
* 300 knees on heavy bag and 100 kicks
* general conditioning work such as pull-ups and 300 sit-ups.
* Followed by light warm down.