T Nation

Muay Thai & BJJ or Muay Thai & Judo


#1

I am looking at a gym that offers both Muay Thai and BJJ. The cost is about $185 monthly. Given my schedule, I would be able to train in Muay Thai and BJJ 4 times per week and wrestling (which they offer) 1 time per week. This gym has a lot of amateur and pro muay thai fighters with good records.

As for the Judo club, they only offer Judo but the coaches are world class and a former Olympian. I work in law enforcement and mostly all law enforcement individuals recommend Judo over all other arts. The problem with this club, however, is that they charge $500 for 20 classes. If I were to go 3 times per week, I am looking at spending $250 per month for Judo as opposed to the other gym which offers Muay Thai, BJJ and Wrestling for $185 per month.

The only reason I am considering the Judo club is because they are world class. Do you guys think I should supplement the Muay Thai and BJJ with some Judo or stick with learning two arts first? I know Judo is better than BJJ for law enforcement.


#2

maybe if you join the bjj/wrestleing club you could try and see if anyone in the class wants to practice throws and stuff before or after class or ask the instructors if they can do a bit more on the judo side once or twice a week. Where i train we do very little stand up things in the bjj classes. but if you combine the wrestling and try get good at a few chokes then that could be pretty good and maybe do a class of judo every now and then.


#3

I do BJJ but I recommend you learn Judo. For street application, I find it preferable - BJJ focuses on ground stuff which, frankly, often becomes unnecessary after you throw someone on concrete. That being said - if the BJJ gym teaches solid takedown skills that are applicable on hard surfaces*, go for it.

*the tournament style double leg takedown, for instance, requires you to forcibly put down a knee onto the ground - I’d rather not try that without a mat.


#4

[quote]fearnloathingnyc wrote:
I am looking at a gym that offers both Muay Thai and BJJ. The cost is about $185 monthly. Given my schedule, I would be able to train in Muay Thai and BJJ 4 times per week and wrestling (which they offer) 1 time per week. This gym has a lot of amateur and pro muay thai fighters with good records.

As for the Judo club, they only offer Judo but the coaches are world class and a former Olympian. I work in law enforcement and mostly all law enforcement individuals recommend Judo over all other arts. The problem with this club, however, is that they charge $500 for 20 classes. If I were to go 3 times per week, I am looking at spending $250 per month for Judo as opposed to the other gym which offers Muay Thai, BJJ and Wrestling for $185 per month.

The only reason I am considering the Judo club is because they are world class. Do you guys think I should supplement the Muay Thai and BJJ with some Judo or stick with learning two arts first? I know Judo is better than BJJ for law enforcement. [/quote]

Used to train LEOs for a while. I’d say doing judo judo is your best bet, least if you want something to help you out on the job. It does the same type of floor work as BJJ though the emphasis is a bit different. If you can get a solid ippon seoi nage, o soto gari and a few other sweeps you should be able to handle 90% of what you’ll need.

Striking systems can be ok but will not show you how to restrain people or pin them so you can cuff them. Also, most juries will see hitting the guy as brutality regardless of the situation while takedowns and throws are considered more humane. Punching out that pimp might get him off, but arm-baring him then face-planting him on concrete is just being professional, doncha know? Judo can help a lot (ask if they know of anyone who does taiho jutsu which is the actual Japanese art the police there use and train in – great stuff!) This is not to say striking is unimportant, and by all means someday pick it up (boxing is probably a better fit for police work I think), just judo will be time well spent now and will start paying off soon then continue to do so.

Hope this helps,

– jj


#5

All good comments above, as far as price that’s not to shabby. When competing I used to pay 80.00 per week for two classes of two hours each and one 4 hour private session per with a fourth dan or better per week/. I won’t put a date on it but it was a long time ago. When considering Judo instruction remember this is a investment, and yes good instruction is expensive. But the value you get with the really good dojo’s is worth the expense.


#6

Based on the comments and my on-going research into Judo and its effectiveness for LEO, I am going to sign up at the Judo club.

I am thinking of doing Judo 4 days per week and also adding in the following disciplines: Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, and Wrestling.

Here is what my ambitious schedule would look like (of course there will be days that I need to rest or am working overtime and can’t make it):

Mondays

  • Judo (1.5 hours)
  • Boxing (1.5 hours)
  • Deadlifts, Press, Pullups (1 hour)

Tuesdays

  • BJJ (1 hour)
  • Muay Thai (1 hour)

Wednesday

  • Judo (1.5 hours)
  • Boxing (1.5 hours)

Thursday

  • BJJ (1 hour)
  • Muay Thai (1 hour)

Friday

  • Judo (1.5 hours)
  • Boxing (1.5 hours)
  • Zercher Squats, Bench, Row (1 hour)

Saturday

  • Judo (1.5 hours)
  • BJJ (1.5 hours)

Sunday

  • Wrestling (1 hour)
  • Muay Thai (1 hour)

Obviously this is a crazy schedule but there will be days that I need to take off. This is just an ideal schedule. If you guys see any tweaking that should take place, please let me know.


#7

[quote]fearnloathingnyc wrote:
Based on the comments and my on-going research into Judo and its effectiveness for LEO, I am going to sign up at the Judo club.

I am thinking of doing Judo 4 days per week and also adding in the following disciplines: Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, and Wrestling.

Here is what my ambitious schedule would look like (of course there will be days that I need to rest or am working overtime and can’t make it):

Mondays

  • Judo (1.5 hours)
  • Boxing (1.5 hours)
  • Deadlifts, Press, Pullups (1 hour)

Tuesdays

  • BJJ (1 hour)
  • Muay Thai (1 hour)

Wednesday

  • Judo (1.5 hours)
  • Boxing (1.5 hours)

Thursday

  • BJJ (1 hour)
  • Muay Thai (1 hour)

Friday

  • Judo (1.5 hours)
  • Boxing (1.5 hours)
  • Zercher Squats, Bench, Row (1 hour)

Saturday

  • Judo (1.5 hours)
  • BJJ (1.5 hours)

Sunday

  • Wrestling (1 hour)
  • Muay Thai (1 hour)

Obviously this is a crazy schedule but there will be days that I need to take off. This is just an ideal schedule. If you guys see any tweaking that should take place, please let me know.[/quote]

When are you planning on enforcing the law?


#8

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]fearnloathingnyc wrote:
Based on the comments and my on-going research into Judo and its effectiveness for LEO, I am going to sign up at the Judo club.

I am thinking of doing Judo 4 days per week and also adding in the following disciplines: Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, and Wrestling.

Here is what my ambitious schedule would look like (of course there will be days that I need to rest or am working overtime and can’t make it):

Mondays

  • Judo (1.5 hours)
  • Boxing (1.5 hours)
  • Deadlifts, Press, Pullups (1 hour)

Tuesdays

  • BJJ (1 hour)
  • Muay Thai (1 hour)

Wednesday

  • Judo (1.5 hours)
  • Boxing (1.5 hours)

Thursday

  • BJJ (1 hour)
  • Muay Thai (1 hour)

Friday

  • Judo (1.5 hours)
  • Boxing (1.5 hours)
  • Zercher Squats, Bench, Row (1 hour)

Saturday

  • Judo (1.5 hours)
  • BJJ (1.5 hours)

Sunday

  • Wrestling (1 hour)
  • Muay Thai (1 hour)

Obviously this is a crazy schedule but there will be days that I need to take off. This is just an ideal schedule. If you guys see any tweaking that should take place, please let me know.[/quote]

When are you planning on enforcing the law?[/quote]

haha. I work the night shift so I have plenty of time to do that.


#9

Just my O, but I think its to much. I would concentrate on one discipline at a time. You could take judo 3 -4 days a week and really progress rapidly and then put it on the back burner and go on to the next (boxing). At that point picking up the others is really just going to be learning the techniques. Best of luck , and stay healthy.


#10

You are going to be sore in ways you’ve never been sore before, and when your lifts start taking a dive don’t try to compensate that by pushing harder in the weightroom, it won’t do you any favors. Try to get as much sleep as you can and make sure your nutrition is spot on if you wish to keep that schedule up. If it were me I’d still work in to it a little slower, I don’t have a clue how much experience in combat sports you have in the past, but until you get a certain level of technique and experience grappling and striking are going to have you catching your breath in a whole different way than say running or some sort of a circuit training.

In the past I’ve done MT for 15+hrs a week and I actually feel it was very beneficial for improving my technique and staying lose and relaxed while throwing kicks and punches, learning to focus all the energy on the strikes and kicks with clean technique when it matters and getting the body used to the workload, but I had a decent base by then and was by no means an absolute beginner, it probably isn’t ideal if you don’t have any basic level of techinque to begin with. If your mind is set on it though, just give it a go, eat a shit ton and sleep as much as you can and keep us posted how it goes.