MTV Made: Powerlifting with Jonnie Jackson

very good episode. J.J. seems like an outstanding guy.

sidenote: That high school has ridiculous facilities…

[quote]thirdnalga wrote:

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:
Was anyone else impressed with how kind and intelligent Johnnie Jackson came off? I was just glad they didn’t portray him as being a meathead and he didn’t represent himself as one.[/quote]

Yeah, Johnnie seems like a really nice guy. I think there was definitely a fine line to walk getting that kid comfortable but not destroying him socially.

What was Josh Bryant doing there? Is he a coach at the school or what?[/quote]

He is the strength coach for the high school, I think.

[quote]Ty Carlson wrote:

[quote]thirdnalga wrote:

Was anyone else impressed with how kind and intelligent Johnnie Jackson came off? I was just glad they didn’t portray him as being a meathead and he didn’t represent himself as one.[/quote]

Yeah, Johnnie seems like a really nice guy. I think there was definitely a fine line to walk getting that kid comfortable but not destroying him socially.

He is the strength coach for the high school, I think.[/quote]

I believe he is, I also thought it was cool that it was Metroflex that held that Push/Pull

I don’t wanna be an asshole, nor start some flame war, but am I the only one who thinks that MTV always bullshits that show? I mean, I have watched that show several times and without fail the kid they pick always wins first place at whatever it is they choose, even if they compete against people that have practiced for years and are really good.

In this one, ok, there was no one else on his weight category, so he would win fist place anyway, but I highly doubt that a small, weak kid who never touched a weight in his life and only likes to play with girls coul pull 250 in just a matter of a couple weeks.

I find the show to be great, it really shows the kids that they can be anything they want as long as they work hard for it, big kudos for that. But if the end results weren’t always great than it would be real bad tv. So, in my view, it’s always fake. Still cool, though.

Just my 2 cents, I can br wrong and everyone of them really be a special snowflake.

[quote]Daniel-San wrote:
I don’t wanna be an asshole, nor start some flame war, but am I the only one who thinks that MTV always bullshits that show? I mean, I have watched that show several times and without fail the kid they pick always wins first place at whatever it is they choose, even if they compete against people that have practiced for years and are really good.

In this one, ok, there was no one else on his weight category, so he would win fist place anyway, but I highly doubt that a small, weak kid who never touched a weight in his life and only likes to play with girls coul pull 250 in just a matter of a couple weeks.

I find the show to be great, it really shows the kids that they can be anything they want as long as they work hard for it, big kudos for that. But if the end results weren’t always great than it would be real bad tv. So, in my view, it’s always fake. Still cool, though.

Just my 2 cents, I can br wrong and everyone of them really be a special snowflake.[/quote]

Just to clarify, this took place over 45 days, not a couple of weeks.

[quote]Daniel-San wrote:

Just my 2 cents, I can br wrong and everyone of them really be a special snowflake.[/quote]

They might have BS’d it a little bit in the sense that they set the stage for this kid (eg. they created a meet for him to compete in, set up different scenarios that make for good tv). I don’t think there was any acting on the kid’s part. But at the end of the day he still had to put in the work. Doesn’t surprise me that he was able to progress that fast, because he was 100% untrained and 16. when i was that age I think I put 100 pounds on my bench in 6 months without even following a good program.

Any ideas on how I can view this from Canada? Can’t find the video on youtube.

[quote]Mondy wrote:
Any ideas on how I can view this from Canada? Can’t find the video on youtube. [/quote]

google/youtube modify headers and watch the video tutorial on how to install.

[quote]dumbbellhead wrote:

[quote]Daniel-San wrote:

Just to clarify, this took place over 45 days, not a couple of weeks.[/quote]

Also, its not like 250 is exactly a towering deadlift. I am impressed as hell that the kid was able to do it, however they aren’t exactly claiming he deadlifted 500 after a month and a half of training.

I disagree that everyone always wins. I have seen 2 episodes where guys were made into bodybuilders and they both made decent progress, but didn’t look that good at the show. Neither of them placed, but that wasn’t the point of the show, it was about the lifestyle change.

I also recently saw one where a girl was trying to lose weight, she lost some, cried a whole lot, and didn’t end up in that much better shape. I didn’t see the very end of the episode but I am sure that even though she didn’t succeed in a traditional sense they still played happy music and painted it all in a positive light.

Then again if an MTV executive came out and said it was all fake my jaw wouldn’t drop.

That was actualy watchable. Most of the time the kid is such a pansy I can’t stand to watch it. This kid whined a little but for the most part he did everything he was told to do. He took advantage of his opportunity and made the best of his abilities. He should be proud of himself.

Johnny asked him to do a lot of things that made him uncomfortable and he realy didn’t protest that much. This kid actualy seemed to enjoy the work, and learn some lessons from the experience.

[quote]BrianW wrote:

[quote]Mondy wrote:
Any ideas on how I can view this from Canada? Can’t find the video on youtube. [/quote]

google/youtube modify headers and watch the video tutorial on how to install. [/quote]

Thank you, that worked great.

Did anyone else notice that the weight changes from 275 to 250 on the final deadlift.

[quote]Daniel-San wrote:

I sort of agree with you on the other shows, but I would say this is legit. He did the work, and his lifts are plausible. as for him winning, many times there is no one else at your weight. He was very light and odds are there was no other lifter at 114 or 123, especially if it’s a made up meet.

My son won IPA states in September. He was unopposed in his weight class, so he won. He did set three federation records all time for 16/17 so he had a great meet.

him being the only one in the class is no big deal IMO.

WRT staging the show, I’ve only seen the show once and it was in 2003 or so. Some skinny chump wants to make the basketball team and he gets a coach for a few months. He whines and protests everything for a few weeks, but changes his attitude and eventually he makes the team, but it’s clear he is the 13th guy on a 12-man roster.

They show him getting into a game, but I don’t remember if the game was close or not. He hit a 3 and that’s about all they showed, so I’m guessing that show may have had a little bit of staging in him making the team, but he did get a lot better.

[quote]UNCheavylifter wrote:
very good episode. J.J. seems like an outstanding guy.

sidenote: That high school has ridiculous facilities…[/quote]

That’s because Texas cares about their sports. I mean they are still the only state that you can chop block down field.

I watched it last night and I liked it. Yeah, most of them make me want to kill high school children but this kid kicked some ass.

[quote]thirdnalga wrote:

I’ve met Johnnie twice, once when he was at a sponsors booth signing autographs and another time right after a show, when he really could’ve easily just brushed me off, but didn’t. Really nice guy.

[quote]Daniel-San wrote:

Damn you must be one weak kitten to think you have to be a special snowflake to pull 250lb after a month of training. I lifted 275lb the first time I ever pulled in my life and I was a 15 year old walking sack of bones. It must suck to be you…

tried to watch it but the kid’s voice was like nails down a chalk board.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
tried to watch it but the kid’s voice was like nails down a chalk board. [/quote]

Ha, you should try watching the “bodybuilder” (really a figure competitor, but whatever) episode with squirrel-girl…

Her voice (and demeanor imo, or maybe I’m just a callous bastard) flat out hurts.