MSNBC Article That P*sses Me Off

[quote]Bergman wrote:
any clue how much room completely deflated fat cells take up? Is it negligible?[/quote]

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be. The size they increase is supposedly phenomenal, therefore the size they decrease would be similar (I assume).

Though it could serve to explain why they are pockets of “stubborn fat” that people can’t seem to lose.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
very little to do with how many MICROSCOPIC cells you have.[/quote]

Can we just copypasta this fragment over and over on the comments for this story? Seriously…

[quote]Bergman wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Bergman wrote:
So, I’ve heard about this before, but never really thought about how it applied to myself until today; What happens if you gain most of your fat cells after the age of 20 and then lose a bunch of weight? Are those pretty much lifelong fat cells, as well?

After the age of 20, unless you became massively obese, you are pretty much stuck with the number of fat cells you have for life unless you get liposuction.

You are thinking of this wrong if you think you are somehow going to gain new fat cells after the age of 20 without packing on a TON of body fat to make that happen. Your body would fill the fat cells you have present unless you do something extreme.

The info in this article is not new. Fat CELLS are not the same thing as FAT. Fat CELLS empty and refill based on how much fat you need to store in excess.

That means it is correct that fat people will not lose fat CELLS but it does not mean they can’t lose FAT.

Well, I did go from 215 to about 285 in the span of 6 months. Not sure if that’s considered massively obese, but it’s probably close enough to warrant the creation of new fat cells, I’d imagine?

I’m back down to about 245 now, so I’m curious if this little amount of pudge around my midsection will ever go away.
[/quote]

You gained 70 pounds in 6 months?!?!!? how did you do that?

[quote]nomorewar wrote:
You gained 70 pounds in 6 months?!?!!? how did you do that?
[/quote]

It’s amazing what happens to the body when you go from high school wrestling, where you’re very careful with how much food you’re putting into your body coupled with an intense calorie-burning burning sport to college where you stop doing anything.

Freshman year, I think I popped an ACL (still haven’t gotten an MRI for that, but I had trouble walking for about a year), and completely gave up exercise. I also ate cafeteria food way too often, and either pizza or massive sub sandwiches every night. It’s actually amazing I didn’t gain more weight, now that I think about it.

I’m happy with where I’m at now, though… 242 and closing in on an elite total :slight_smile:

These facts are simply infuriating. Someone needs to get rid of them!

[quote]Bergman wrote:

Also, X, any clue how much room completely deflated fat cells take up? Is it negligible? This question is more out of curiosity than any sort of personal relevance. [/quote]

There is no way to tell you how much room your own cells take up. However, the concept is like having a bunch of empty plastic trash bags. You can fit a lot on a roll and boxes of them can fit in a cabinet. Completely filled up, those trash bags could fill up a two story house. These are cells you can’t even see with your naked eye so even worrying about how many cells you have is a waste of time.

Prevent extreme obesity and adding more cells shouldn’t be a concern. If you gained as much weight as you claim with no exercise at all, then yes, there is a great chance you may have gained some new fat cells. No one could tell you how much without quite a bit of research at your AUTOPSY.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
No one could tell you how much without quite a bit of research at your AUTOPSY.[/quote]

Interesting. Where can one get this “autopsy” and will it help me determine if the V-Diet or the y diet is right for me? I’m looking to get a 7-pack.

[quote]Natural Nate wrote:
Professor X wrote:
No one could tell you how much without quite a bit of research at your AUTOPSY.

Interesting. Where can one get this “autopsy” and will it help me determine if the V-Diet or the y diet is right for me? I’m looking to get a 7-pack.[/quote]

LOL that’s the kind of stupidity I was expecting.

Good job!

From what I remember during my undergrad studies, there are 3 times that influence the number of fat cells you develop. The first trimester of your existence, the first 2 yrs of your life, and finally puberty. How you eat during these times has a major influence on the quantity of fat cells. Realistically, the first two times are out of your control, and the third one most people dont have much of an idea how to eat anyway. Good eating habits from parents is even more important for healthy bodyweight management.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

At to think that most people look at bodybuilders as muscle bound lummoxes. It’s quite funny considering most could probably pass off as qualified nutritionists.

Oh well, I guess it’s back to lifting my huge triangular iron weights.[/quote]

Listened to ESPN radio today. The guy on there was talking about bodybuilders, how they’re all [ 5’7" and a half, have a girlfriend named Trina, complain that the gym doesn’t have weights that are heavy enough, and have a vocab that consists of “protein, yo, what up, and dude.” ]

I got 20 bucks that says this guy’s out of shape.

[quote]Eppert wrote:
Listened to ESPN radio today. The guy on there was talking about bodybuilders, how they’re all [ 5’7" and a half, have a girlfriend named Trina, complain that the gym doesn’t have weights that are heavy enough, and have a vocab that consists of “protein, yo, what up, and dude.” ]

I got 20 bucks that says this guy’s out of shape.[/quote]

Only 20? I got a hundred that says he hasn’t seen his penis in years.

I read this article somewhere else and I actually like it. It hints that perhaps the mainstream is moving towards a more intelligent view of weight loss.

Here are the facts, (not necessarily from this article) in no particular order:

*If you are or have been fat, you cannot go back to eating like everyone else, i.e. a high carb/low protein diet, and expect to stay skinny.

*There is no such thing as fat and healthy.

*2500 calories a day for everybody is stupid.

*Childhood obesity is evil, and keeping your kids from getting fat is one of your primary responsibilities as a parent. Kind of like making sure your daughter doesn’t grow up to be a stripper.

I think this article is a small step in the right direction. As far as how the lazy will interpret it, who gives a fuck?

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
From what I remember during my undergrad studies, there are 3 times that influence the number of fat cells you develop. The first trimester of your existence, the first 2 yrs of your life, and finally puberty. How you eat during these times has a major influence on the quantity of fat cells. Realistically, the first two times are out of your control, and the third one most people dont have much of an idea how to eat anyway. Good eating habits from parents is even more important for healthy bodyweight management.[/quote]

During pregnancy is also a time people add fat cells.

The funny part is how this is treated as new information. I have known this for well over a decade. Prof X’s analogy is right on the money.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
*There is no such thing as fat and healthy.[/quote]

NAAFA begs to differ.

[quote]Eppert wrote:
Makavali wrote:

At to think that most people look at bodybuilders as muscle bound lummoxes. It’s quite funny considering most could probably pass off as qualified nutritionists.

Oh well, I guess it’s back to lifting my huge triangular iron weights.

I got 20 bucks that says this guy’s out of shape.[/quote]

Id bet 20 bucks that the guy making these statements is mildly to moderate overweight, considers channel surfing a form of exercise, hasnt gotten any from his wife because he’s a fat pig, and follows the Sick and Diseased Diet to perfection (How the majority of Americans eat nowadays)