MS and HOT-ROX

I am looking into Fahrenheit or Maximum Strength HOT-ROX itself for a female client of mine with MS. In my research, the MS symptoms seem to be exacerbated by fever. The fever discussed is always caused by a virus as opposed to a drug or supplement. My question is whether Maximum Strength HOT-ROX and/or Fahrenheit will have this same effect. The virus that caused the fever in the studies was NOT to blame… only the fever. Anyone?

[quote]derek wrote:
I am looking into Fahrenheit or Maximum Strength HOT-ROX itself for a female client of mine with MS. In my research, the MS symptoms seem to be exacerbated by fever. The fever discussed is always caused by a virus as opposed to a drug or supplement. My question is whether Maximum Strength HOT-ROX and/or Fahrenheit will have this same effect. The virus that caused the fever in the studies was NOT to blame… only the fever. Anyone?[/quote]

I’m not intimately familiar with MS, unfortunately. That aside, if the exacerbation of symptoms is caused by an immunologic response to a given stimuli then it’s possible that HOT-ROX could even help, not hurt the situation. In that case, I could see why one could confuse the fever itself as the cause instead of a portion of the immune response (e.g., cytokines). However, if you’re absolutely certain that it’s the elevation in body temperature that exacerbates symptoms then I don’t recommend this person use HOT-ROX. Even though normal humans’ thermoregulatory response can easily adjust to an increase in thermogenesis, and thus not experience much of a rise in body temperature, if at all, it’s not something I’d even want to risk in this person.

Sorry to horn in. I’ve known a few people with MS, and my understanding is that heat in any form is enervating for the MS sufferer, debilitating even. Summers are very bad for my father-in-law, for instance. This has led people to design systems for cooling people with MS. The link below discusses the technology behind astronaut suits, and mentions that the tech is being used to bring relief to those with multiple sclerosis.

It’s the heat.

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/science/cool_suit.html