MR's Prime Time Gun Show

Thanks Mike, do you discuss some of this in one of your articles?

Thanks brother. As our field grows it will, unfortunately, probably grow more and more “trendy” and people will feel the need to sell themselves.

Sell yourself with your practical experience and superior knowledge, versus shameless gimmicks and you’ll be just fine.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Norweige wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Mike, I appreciate it. I feel the same way, but in the face of the proliferation and popularity of this type of stuff I’m glad to hear I am justified (now by several excellent S/C coaches) in not over-emphasizing it like everyone else.

On a side note, the personal training director for the small chain of clubs I work at tells me that it is flat-out incorrect to squat deeply, even to parallel, which is what I demonstrated to her when we ran into each other in the gym today. I’m not the king of squatting, but I can hold my own, have excellent form and HEALTHIER knees since I stopped this shallow, hips-stay-above-knees, no-knees-over-toes squatting nonsense. It is frustrating to be working with “fitness professionals” who buy into and preach this crap.

Sorry for the rant, thanks again for the reply. Love your new website![/quote]

I outlined stretches in my “Hardcore Stretching” piece, foam rolling in EC and I’s “Feel Better for 10 Bucks” and single-leg work in “Single-Leg Supplements.”

I know Dave Tate went over TKE’s (a VMO exercise) in one of his Toolbox articles, just not sure which one.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]sam747 wrote:
Thanks Mike, do you discuss some of this in one of your articles?[/quote]

Thanks again Mike, might have more questions on another prime time, need to read about all this.

Sounds good bro; like I said, I think you can be ok, but it will take some work. The biggest thing is going to be in finding balance in the quads first and foremost. Good luck!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]sam747 wrote:
Thanks again Mike, might have more questions on another prime time, need to read about all this.[/quote]

Cool people, I’m out. Great Q&A’s tonight and I’ll look forward to more on Thursday!

Stay strong
MR

Mike I’m looking for a book. One that helps in muscle function assessment, basically that helsp you to look for certain things, how to pick up on them then treat. Does any such book exist?

HOLY COW! The new layout looks killer. Great job!

Oh yeah, and I’m here to answer questions too. Don’t forget about the little people!

Stay strong
MR

Bigpump,

This one is pretty good, from what I recall.

However, ditto on what Eric said; it takes a while brother.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
Bigpump,

Stay strong
MR[/quote]

thanks mike. Sometimes when you have a genuie love for what you do and thrust for knowledge you want it all right away

hi mike! I was wondering what suggestions you have for keeping the bar in the “groove” while doing overhead squats? also , when i do one-leg squats my back leg foot is on the top of a bench and it always feels akward and moves around when i squat, any suggestions? thanks, NIK

You don’t have to tell me twice; my wife always jokes with me because I’m ALWAYS thinking about training in some form or fashion.

Stay strong and KEEP LEARNING!
MR

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Mike Robertson wrote:
Bigpump,

Stay strong
MR

thanks mike. Sometimes when you have a genuie love for what you do and thrust for knowledge you want it all right away

[/quote]

For overhead squats, I tell people to let the bar “drift” back as they go down; I then watch from the side to make sure it doesn’t go too far back. Generally in line with the back of the ear works out well.

For the single-leg squats, I call them Bulgarians when you have your back leg up on something. Try using an incline bench and “wedging” your foot in the angle; this should keep you steady.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]nikboa wrote:
hi mike! I was wondering what suggestions you have for keeping the bar in the “groove” while doing overhead squats? also , when i do one-leg squats my back leg foot is on the top of a bench and it always feels akward and moves around when i squat, any suggestions? thanks, NIK[/quote]

Hey Mike, we were talking about knee injuries on Tues. I was the guy w/ 3 knee cap dislocations and lateral realease surgery. Anyway,you mentioned “lateral tissue stretching”, I read your Hardcore Streching Article but wasn’t really sure what you meant by this. Could I get a little clarification, please? THanks

Sam I Am,

When I talk about the lateral tissues, I’m talking about the ITB, Vastus lateralis, and lateral retinaculum. For the ITB/lateral retinaculum, massage/ART/foam rolling are your best options (although I wouldn’t foam roll your lateral retinaculum, the other two will work fine).

For the VL, quad stretches should work to some degree.

The best VL/ITB stretch I know of I don’t have a pic of, but I will try to describe. Imagine you are laying on your back and stretching your left hamstring with a towel. Now, take the towel into your right hand and pull your leg across your body, keeping it straight the whole time. It’s somewhat similar to the “glute max” stretch from Hardcore stretcing, except the leg is kept straight.

If this makes no sense whatsoever, please let me know!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]sam747 wrote:
Hey Mike, we were talking about knee injuries on Tues. I was the guy w/ 3 knee cap dislocations and lateral realease surgery. Anyway,you mentioned “lateral tissue stretching”, I read your Hardcore Streching Article but wasn’t really sure what you meant by this. Could I get a little clarification, please? THanks[/quote]

Just gave it a shot. Felt a big time stretch on the whole out side of my leg, ass to ankle.

Massage therapists and muscle workers might call this the “lateral line;” basically it’s the fascial sheath that runs from the ass to the ankle as you described. The structures involved are the TFL/ITB, VL and peroneals.

Needless to say, it’s a personal favorite!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]sam747 wrote:
Just gave it a shot. Felt a big time stretch on the whole out side of my leg, ass to ankle.[/quote]

Thanks Mike, sorry about the less than articulate medical terminology.

Not a problem bro; I’m assuming this was pretty tight?

Stay strong
MR

[quote]sam747 wrote:
Thanks Mike, sorry about the less than articulate medical terminology.[/quote]

Well, how much hip rotation should you have if any? I can’t bring my leg over very far. I really feel the strech though, can only hold it for a few seconds, hurts like a mofo.