MR's Prime Time Fun House!

I always go through the spinal flossing and the dynamic flex stuff. Dependent on where I’m at in my training, I typically save the glute activation stuff for off-season work.

Anal flossing…hmmmm…I’ll leave that up to your imagination :wink:

Stay strong
MR

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Mikey, which parts of your warm up do you keep consistent, no matter what you’re training?

BTW-Regarding your listed workout today, what’s “anal flossing”?[/quote]

Where can I find a good foam roller?

What exactly do you mean by “in the hole”. Sorry I don’t hang out around a lot of powerlifters. Does that mean somewhere near the center of gravity?

What the heck is spinal flossing?

Dl,

If you want a solid program, I would check out any of the relative strength stuff by CW or CT. To meet your goals, I would recommend alternating phases of accumulation/intensification; this will maximize your ability to put on weight, while the majority of it being functional mass.

With regards to the GPP sessions, make sure they aren’t too intense or too long, as they’ll hinder your weight-gaining progress.

With regards to flexibility, check out my “Hardcore Stretching” articles featured earlier here at T-Nation.

I know some of this is general, but it should help. If you want something more specific, shoot me a PM and we’ll figure something out.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]dl- wrote:
I’m 160lbs currently. I’m 15 years of age, turning 16 in 2 months. I wanna eventually get up to 185lbs. My nutrition is solid, so no worries about that. MY question here is. I have good relative strength for my age/weight. Now I wanna be 185lbs, but I want it ALL to be functional hypertrophy. And I want to keep that my strength levels when I reach 185 also, basically meaning I still want to be able to squat and dead more than double my bodyweight. I’m going to lay off MMA for a while so my primary concern now is getting to 185lbs and increasing my strength with that weight. Now when doing this is it okay if I still do 2 HARD G.P.P sessions. These include anything from sandbags, sledgehammers, dumbell snatches, bodyweight type circuits etc etc.

Also I am going to start working on flexbility. So what would you recommend for me a program that will make me weight train 4x a week. Add me to 185lbs and make my strength levels go through the roof some more?? Also if I do 3-5 rep max (work sets) how many sets should I do?. Oh and if I’m doing ME I like to wave it sorta like…90%, 95%, 92.5% and then 97%. I liek to test my PR’s after either a 4 week cycle is done…or after 8 weeks. Anyways what kinda program will do this for me. I’m guessing westside, but then wonder if I should get the beginners manual or not. Please give me some insight to this, It’d be much appreciated. Oh and if anything is confusing, I can clear it up for you if you’d like.

dl-[/quote]

Check out EC and I’s “Feel Better for 10 Bucks” piece from a while back. I believe the site is www.optp.com

Stay strong
MR

[quote]IHateGymMorons wrote:
Where can I find a good foam roller?[/quote]

Um, no. It means in the bottom of the squat.

Stay strong
MR

What exactly do you mean by “in the hole”. Sorry I don’t hang out around a lot of powerlifters. Does that mean somewhere near the center of gravity?[/quote]

Movements that open up the nerve space and allow for proper nerve conduction. The cat/camel is an example.

Stay strong
MR

What the heck is spinal flossing?[/quote]

duh.

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
Um, no. It means in the bottom of the squat.

Stay strong
MR

IHateGymMorons wrote:
What exactly do you mean by “in the hole”. Sorry I don’t hang out around a lot of powerlifters. Does that mean somewhere near the center of gravity?

[/quote]

Mike,

How is the knee RH going?

Are you planning on going to the Staley Bootcamp in Oct?

Take care,

Ryan

Ok all, I’m out for the evening. See you on Thursday!

Stay strong
MR

MR,
thanks for your replies earlier today. it got me thinking- do you think it is beneficial for me (with a max bench of 215) to do speed work? I ask this because some like defranco say that beginners dont get stronger by getting faster so he uses a rep day instead. thanks for your time,
TR

Coach -

Hope this pic helps…

I miss half way up for sure on the bench… I can get the bar off my chest usually but then stall out… two years ago when I found out about Westside, I used the bands to really up my 225 rep test, because I thought I was slow. Now I think it is tri’s, because I have never worked them directly, and I feel my arms are long.

For deads, I usually miss 2/3 of the way up, or half way, or the lockout. Whichever, I always thought that was due to week low back and glutes… which would make sense because of my short stubby ass legs. I think it’s a steady diet of good mornings for me for awhile.

Really, bench is a big focus for me. I transferred colleges and my football career is over, and I am thinking I might want to compete in pl or strongman in the near future. But I need that bench much higher. I also thought it was weak lats, and I talked to EC about them on prime time and they are getting stronger.

Thanks again for all the help.

Going really well, I think. It’s always tough because I’m not really sure how things are supposed to feel now versus before. As well, I know it typically takes a while for things to normalize in the joint and your body to figure out how to re-distribute the loads.

Have you dealt with many people who have had partial meniscectomies? If so, what were their outcomes? Any thoughts on keeping the OA bug at bay?

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Dr. Ryan wrote:
Mike,

How is the knee RH going?

Are you planning on going to the Staley Bootcamp in Oct?

Take care,

Ryan[/quote]

Doc,

I’d love to go to the Bootcamp, but I don’t think it’s in the cards if I go to the SWIS conference. When’s the next one?

Stay strong
MR

TR,

I think you’re right; I would focus more on just getting stronger first, then start working on the speed stuff. Just getting stronger alone should make you faster.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]bigTR wrote:
MR,
thanks for your replies earlier today. it got me thinking- do you think it is beneficial for me (with a max bench of 215) to do speed work? I ask this because some like defranco say that beginners dont get stronger by getting faster so he uses a rep day instead. thanks for your time,
TR[/quote]

MR,
What would you suggest I do instead of DE bench- close grip 4x6 or something like that? Thanks a lot,
TR

All -

I’m back on for the evening, so hit me up with those questions!

Stay strong
MR

Gazelle,

If it’s your tri’s on the bench, make sure to include plenty of lockout work. It doesn’t get more specific than that!

If you miss d/t gluteal weakness on the pulls, first off have your training partners give you verbal cues like “pinch” or “hips through.” As well, make sure you include glute activation/strengthening work in your program. Good luck!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]The Gazelle wrote:
Coach -

Hope this pic helps…

I miss half way up for sure on the bench… I can get the bar off my chest usually but then stall out… two years ago when I found out about Westside, I used the bands to really up my 225 rep test, because I thought I was slow. Now I think it is tri’s, because I have never worked them directly, and I feel my arms are long.

For deads, I usually miss 2/3 of the way up, or half way, or the lockout. Whichever, I always thought that was due to week low back and glutes… which would make sense because of my short stubby ass legs. I think it’s a steady diet of good mornings for me for awhile.

Really, bench is a big focus for me. I transferred colleges and my football career is over, and I am thinking I might want to compete in pl or strongman in the near future. But I need that bench much higher. I also thought it was weak lats, and I talked to EC about them on prime time and they are getting stronger.

Thanks again for all the help.[/quote]

Sure. Really any kind of heavy pressing movements (but not bench) on your second upper body day should work out well.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]bigTR wrote:
MR,
What would you suggest I do instead of DE bench- close grip 4x6 or something like that? Thanks a lot,
TR[/quote]