T Nation

MRI's and Torn Muscles

Hey all.  i recently hyperextended my shoulder in a bike crash  and was diagnosed with a torn labrum through am MRI .  The docotor asked if a ever hurt my shoulder before (many times but never as bad as this- within 10 minutes i basically lost all movemnt of my left arm) and said although he could make the case for surgery we should treat it conservativly first.

Well, it has been a little under three weeks and i am begining to feel that my labrum has probably had tears in it all along, not just from this crash. To me it seems what hurts is more muscular- the front and rear delts, pec major/minor area, a bit of tricep and a “full” swollen feeling where my arm hits the side of my torso near the lats.

It feels as if all the muscles that help resist hyperextnsion (not sure if this correctly terminology btw but i imagine if i had some awesome pushing strength this could have been avoided) were stretched and torn past there breaking point. is this possible?

Would an MRI show damage and could the doc have overlooked it on the prints? There was no evidence of RC tears and after about 2 and a half weeks i have nearly a full range of “somewhat” pain free motion in my shoulder joint.

Lifting light weights over my head actuall feels kind of good. The two movments that that have not improved are reaching around my back to touh my other shoulder (this hurts my front delt like hell) an abducted my arm across my body.

However, i do not feel any instabilty in the joint or popping,clicking, catching apprehension etc. that seems to go along with a torn labrum. the pain feels sharp at times it never seems like “deep” pain or as if it is happening at the GH joint; it feels more like my muscles are torn.

When i take in a deep breath i feel a fullness and dull pain in my shoulder/chest (this is what makes me think i mave hurt the pecs). for all i know i could be experencing referred pain but was hoping some of you could let me know what you think of my situation.

[quote]cskolnick wrote:
It feels as if all the muscles that help resist hyperextnsion (not sure if this correctly terminology btw but i imagine if i had some awesome pushing strength this could have been avoided) were stretched and torn past there breaking point. is this possible?

Would an MRI show damage and could the doc have overlooked it on the prints? There was no evidence of RC tears and after about 2 and a half weeks i have nearly a full range of “somewhat” pain free motion in my shoulder joint.

[/quote]

It is more complicated than just having pushing power. My friend could bench twice his weight and he still tore his AC ligament while playing football.

There is usually at least one radiologist looking at the MRI results as well as the doctor. The MRI is 99.9% accurate and I doubt anything was overlooked.

If you feel the doctor is missing something you should tell him/her or go get a second opinion. It sounds like something needs to be done other than rest.

[quote]Kreal7 wrote:

It is more complicated than just having pushing power. My friend could bench twice his weight and he still tore his AC ligament while playing football.

There is usually at least one radiologist looking at the MRI results as well as the doctor. The MRI is 99.9% accurate and I doubt anything was overlooked.

If you feel the doctor is missing something you should tell him/her or go get a second opinion. It sounds like something needs to be done other than rest.

[/quote]

Cool, thanks for the reply. And i agree, something other than rest needs to be done. I found a pretty awesome link

http://www.ori.org.au/bonejoint/shoulder/introduction.htm

And testing my ROM it seems the one that gives me the most trouble is in fact internal rotation. Seems to make sense considering all the muscles that internally rotate the humerus are sort of sore.

I am thinking that maybe i should hold a toel with my good arm and LIGHTLY pull my injured one up behind my back to get some ROM back. However, it seems that even after threee weks i still have some dull pain around the shoulder so i am not sure if i should work on ROM/strenghtening just yet.

An orthopedic could administer a series of resistance tests, pushing against your arm in various positions. ROM is important, but there’s a little more to it.

Surgeons tend to be conservative with shoulders because the recovery rate – given only rest and therapy – tends to be high.

I agree with the previous poster that it’s unlikely for two experts to mis-diagnose a shoulder tear in an MRI. When you see examples of such tears on the net, there’s an obviousness to them.

On my own shoulder MRI, the radiologist was quibbling with some small feedback, and the surgeon said it was an unimportant anomaly. So my general take-away from the experience was that a real “surgery worthy” RC tear is not that hard to see. But I defer to any medical experts here.