T Nation

MRI Report

I was able to get a copy of my mri report. I am not able to see my doctor til next tuesday and i am very anxious to see what the hell is wrong wiht me. If anyone knows would you please help me out.

The main things that stick out to me are

a “tear of the posteroinferior glenoid labrum with small defect in the overlying articular cartilage”

“a small tear in the overlying glenoid articular cartilage”

and

“mild anterior downsloping of the acromion”

Any hlep would be grealty appreciated

[quote]WhiteLable412 wrote:
I was able to get a copy of my mri report. I am not able to see my doctor til next tuesday and i am very anxious to see what the hell is wrong wiht me. If anyone knows would you please help me out.

The main things that stick out to me are

a “tear of the posteroinferior glenoid labrum with small defect in the overlying articular cartilage”
[/quote]
posteroinferior is simply two words put together. Posterior, or in back, and inferior, below. So this is referring to the lower portion of the back of your shoulder joint.

The glenoid is the end of the scapula where the humerus meets it to form the shoulder joint. The glenoid labrum is the ring of fibrous cartilage that surrounds the glenoid and creates a deep pocket (glenohumeral cavity) for the head of the humerus to sit in.

The glenoid articular cartilage is the soft cushiony cartilage that covers the glenoid labrum.

The acromion process is the piece of bone that comes up off the top of the scapula and over the shoulder joint. It’s the bump on the top of your shoulder. There are three types, flat(type I), curved (type II), and beaked (type III). Yours is apparently type II. The higher the type, the more likely you are to experience impingement syndrome.

I hope that helps. But, just to rant a little bit, there’s this thing on teh interweb (that’s “the internet”) called google. It’s a magical tool that lets you type words in and it finds you information, pictures, videos, etc… about those words. I’m not a doctor or PT or anything, hell, my degree’s in computer science and I’ve never even taken anatomy. Yet, through the magic of google, I was able to find an answer to your question in a matter of minutes. Please people, search engines are our friends, use them.

BTW, as I said earlier, I’m not a doctor and have never even taken an anatomy class so if any of the above is wrong, I apologize, but you can’t hold me responsible. I was only answering to prove my point about the wonders of google.

[quote]WhiteLable412 wrote:
I was able to get a copy of my mri report. I am not able to see my doctor til next tuesday and i am very anxious to see what the hell is wrong wiht me. If anyone knows would you please help me out.

The main things that stick out to me are

a “tear of the posteroinferior glenoid labrum with small defect in the overlying articular cartilage”

“a small tear in the overlying glenoid articular cartilage”

and

“mild anterior downsloping of the acromion”

Any hlep would be grealty appreciated
[/quote]

Call him up and ask him to take a look at it and give you a quick explanation.

You can ask more questions when you see him but at least that will put your mind at ease.

you have shoulder impingment,and a torn rotator cuff,i am not a dr but you should call yours,

Yea I know how I should look everyhing up and talk to my doctor and so on but I just got the report last night. Posted it before I went to sleep and checked it when I got home from school.
Just an easy way of trying to find out what this stuff is. When I have the time I will go into this more deeply.

Calling and talking to my doctor is not as easy as it sounds. But thanks for the help

[quote]brunottfn wrote:
you have shoulder impingment,and a torn rotator cuff,i am not a dr but you should call yours,[/quote]

I couldn’t find anywhere where he mentioned anything to do with impingement or his rotator cuff.
The downward slope on his acromion may mean he has a greater risk of impingement, but if you can highlight the text where these pathologies are mentioned I’d be grateful.

After a quick search (haven't taken pathology yet, unfortunately) it looks like impingement can be related to a posterior labrum tear (which seems to be quite rare), but it also seems to be due to dislocation. If you can share more info on the injury it could be of benefit and would certainly be interesting.

Dont have a rotator cuff tear, I know that from the first MRI they took. This one I was asking about was the second, where I had an MRI Arthrogram.

Was injured playing football. Orignally they were looking for a dislocation, but pretty positve that came up negative but showed an irregularity of the labrum. That led to the arthorgam and then this report.

ITs been 3 weeks since I was injured, and they just found out what was wrong on Wednesday. Once I get it in lay terms I will beter understand.

If anyone is intrested I will let you know what the hell is wrong with me when I hear it from the doctor

[quote]brunottfn wrote:
you have shoulder impingment,and a torn rotator cuff,i am not a dr but you should call yours,[/quote]

To the OP, please disregard this uninformed post.

[quote]WhiteLable412 wrote:
Dont have a rotator cuff tear, I know that from the first MRI they took. This one I was asking about was the second, where I had an MRI Arthrogram.

Was injured playing football. Orignally they were looking for a dislocation, but pretty positve that came up negative but showed an irregularity of the labrum. That led to the arthorgam and then this report.

ITs been 3 weeks since I was injured, and they just found out what was wrong on Wednesday. Once I get it in lay terms I will beter understand.

If anyone is intrested I will let you know what the hell is wrong with me when I hear it from the doctor
[/quote]

I’m a Physician Assistant with the same problems in both shoulders. Surgery for my labral tears probably won’t help and probably will worsen it, so I won’t get it done. My impingement only flares up if I sleep with on my side with my arm extended over my head. I take fish oil and glucosamine with chondroitin and essentially live with it without pain or limitations.

And you’re correct, you do not have a rotator cuff tear based on this. I did on my initial injury on the left from 14 years ago. I still have microtears in the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons and small cysts at the tendon insertions. But still no limitations.

I did take a steroid shot in the left subacromial space for my impingement a month ago. Worked like a charm. But I’ve only done 3 of those in 14 years.

Hope it works out for you.

Patrick