T Nation

Mr Universe I'm not, but......

The Lord in all his wisdom granted me shoulders that span huge distances, then to keep me humble gave me arms that on a clear day can be distinguished at a distance of 5 feet.

The Goddess in her wisdom has allowed me over the last 11 years of training to put on 26Kg of muscle, but in obviously talking to god, she decided that I’m never gonna be a powerlifter or strongman.

That being said, every year I try and set myself lifting goals in the three powerlifts.

BENCH The goal was 6 reps at 100kgs and I got it. MY bench is appalling, for my size[104kg] I should be better, but finally after a 4 year plateau it’s going somwhere.

SQUATI wanted a 1RM/PB and I got it nailing a 180KG squat. Next Year the goal is 200kg but I need to work on my hamstrings, my core and the achilles flexibility - which is non existant. SPECIAL TIP Don’t expect leg gains when you’re playing inline hockey, doing a kick oriented martial art, ballet and then trying to squat…

DEADLIFT Well, I had my hopes for a 1RM/PB but sadly, t’was not to be. I got the 180KG to my knees and then gravity told me not to get cocky. On the plus side: I’ve never got 180kg off the floor before, so that’s a start.
Need to work on the explosiveness off the floor - second pull’s got no momnentum behind it…

“The Goddess in her wisdom has allowed me over the last 11 years of training to put on 26Kg of muscle, but in obviously talking to god, she decided that I’m never gonna be a powerlifter or strongman.”

Iscariot, I have the same problem. Three pieces of advice: 1-6, 5x5, cycling your rep ranges (from 10-12 down through 2-3 over a period of about two months). I put about 40 pounds on my squat - easily my worst lift - over the last year using them. Good luck!