Just Another Log

Yeah, it’s crazy to hear they don’t use automatic timing for the start and stop. We had that in high school over 15 years ago.

That makes those 6’6", 280 lb guys running a 4.4 sound more human. Still freaks, but it’s good to know they’re closer to 4.6.

I think the average human takes 0.75 sec to perceive something and another 0.75 sec to react. I learned that in traffic collision investigation (that’s where the 2 sec following rule comes from). I don’t think it would directly apply to timing a 40 since the timer is anticipating the start, but it shows how such a method would definitely be flawed.

I believe the rule they use in track and field for judging false starts is 0.1 seconds. Any quicker than that is a false start. From memory, when I used to follow this stuff, there were a few athletes who believed they could react quicker than that (Colin Jackson, for example), and thought that out them at an unfair disadvantage.

But @littlesleeper is a different beast all together lol. Dude looks like he has some thick ass bones. My thin boned frame can’t fill out while staying ripped like that!

You right I’ve never set limits on myself but I’m thinking 5’7 @ 190ish with less than 10% bf is upper echelon for having great but not world class genetics.

1 Like

I’ve never understood how the NFL with all that money still doesn’t do certain things right. Like even the bench press test for reps is the most ridiculous thing. It shows endurance and strength but it doesn’t really translate to the field. Look at Christian McCaffrey. Dude only did a few reps of 225, but he can squat 500+ like butter. Obviously you can see that on the field lol.

1 Like

I’ve had great success with my wife, making her some Cross Fit style WOD’s.
We do have a cross trainer in the home gym, so I’m using that as well.
Have her do a warmup with lots of mobility work and moving around. Something like 20 - 30 minutes. With something to bring the heartbeat up. Make it simple and easy to do.
Then make up some WOD’s that’ll take about 10 - 15 minutes some a bit shorter some a bit longer.
It could be 5 push up, 5 DB row, 5 DB press, 5 burpees and 10 rounds.
Our house has 2 stairways so it could be hiptrusters, plank, lat raise, 1 x from basement to 1’st floor and back for 5 - 7 rounds.

It’s just your imagination that sets the limit.
Have her time the WOD, and write it down when finished. A time to beat.
Make her 2 or 3 for a start. Then every 5 days or so make up a new one, give them some fancy names.
Do it every other day for the first week, second week 2 days on 1 day off.

Track her food with fitness pal or similar, she should weigh herself every morning and track it too.
Remember every weightloss is done in the kitchen. NOT the gym.
Watch Alan Thralls video how to avoid dad bod… ditch the and’s and eat an apple not a pizza.

The last piece of advice would be take her out for walks, long walks. Not necessarily fast walks, a nice stroll were you’re talking and laughing is great.

She must do something she likes, that she finds is fun and something she would do because she finds she can do it.
After the wedding you could introduce some serious lifting, but for starters it should be something fun and challenging and 5x5 is not.

Have fun Nutty

5 Likes

That’s correct re: Jackson. Average RT in the blocks (wired with pressure sensor) is .145

2 Likes

Haha thanks man, but I have a feeling I’m holding significantly more fat than ripped nutty here!

Get on my level!

7 Likes

Thanks for all the input man! I think the WOD approach is a great idea!

My wife thinks it’s great fun. She has a f’cked up hip and knee now. So she can’t really train.
But when she did, she could go and pick a workout and just hammer it, and every now and then she came up almost yelling YEAH PR. The first several times it was a pr, of course.
And if she had a pause she could go right back into one of them.

1 Like

God damn those some thick ass bones haha! If you have bones that thick, might not be a great swimmer, but it’s great for heavy ass lifting lol.

Great man! That’s the approach I’m looking for! I want to make sure it’s fun for her. Lifting is not super fun for me, but I do it out of necessity. It’s a great outlet though to let out this anger lol.

Do you have a boxing bag, you could put up a picture of you on it :slight_smile:
My wife haven’t tried it, but maybe it could be fun.

1 Like

Funny you mention this, I am a terrible swimmer. It takes everything I have to keep my damn head above water. I sink like a rock, even in the ocean…

1 Like

Haha, my bone density theory is true!!! Even in olympic lifting the elite guys all have thick ass bones even though their like 5’4. Probably explains why I can do flips and swim well, light bone structure. I know with lifting I have a limit before my body will break down quick lol.

1 Like

Shit forgot to post today’s workout lol.

OH PRESS (ss: NG Chin-Ups - 5x12)
185x3
205x3
205x3
205x3
155x15

BENCH PRESS (ss: BB ROW - 265 @ 5x8)
225x8
225x8
225x8
225x8
225x8

BARBELL CURLS
95x10
95x10
95x10

5 Likes

What does your wife have against isdatnutty?

1 Like

Hahahaha!

Was cleaning the garage, so decided to get in another session since we snowed in here in Denver. Big ass blizzard came through today.

BACK SQUAT
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x3
385x3
405x3
225x30

30 reps of 225 is no joke. Even with my conditioning I was sucking wind from reps 18-30! Once I got to 20, I was like fuck it, let’s get 30. Not bad after doing almost 100 reps of back work today!

My wife said “Sometimes I think you love squatting more than you love me!” Haha, had myself a good laugh!

But this led me to think of something. If I literally didn’t train for 3 months straight, I wonder how much strength or muscle I would lose?

2 Likes

I lost a lot from October to January not training, but it was also exacerbated by crappy eating. Of course, you’re a lot younger than I am, so you may hold onto muscle better. Stop by my log and look at the picture of my back from October, compared to my January 1st picture at the beginning of the transformation2019 challenge, if you want to see something depressing.

1 Like

SNATCH
205x3
225x3
245x2
205x3
Did lots of warm up sets. Today was just to get my body loose. Feeling REALLY sore for lifting twice heavy yesterday.

Lately I’ve been really loving music like this. I don’t know what the genre is, but it’s great!

4 Likes