Just Another Log

My traps just grew another inch reading that haha!

yea, but that’s fine. It’s training, so you don’t HAVE to be fully recovered all the time. The only time you need to be fully recovered in strongman is competition day. So if you’re regularly training, say, the log in a fatigued state, and you’re not hitting the numbers that you could fresh, but you are consistently training your pressing muscles, then you’ll still be fine.

In terms of raw strength, a log press is essentially the same as any other press. It just requires a little more stabilization, in general. The main purpose of your ‘strongman event training’ won’t necessarily be so much about getting stronger, building muscle, but it will be about becoming proficient with strongman implements. As you’re getting acclimated to things like the log, don’t worry so much about hitting particular set and rep schemes, and pushing to your absolute maximum capacity. Grind out good technique, learn to be robotic. That’s the path to becoming a good strongman.

We can talk more about the specifics of how to get good at certain events as you start to get used to them and we see what your issues are.

As to the split you run for now, I think the options you presented can all make sense. I, personally, like an event day, and that’s how I began in strongman. I essentially did a 5/3/1 sort of thing during the week, and just practiced events on Saturday. Now, my training is more complex, and I’m working with at least one implement almost every training session. So both approaches can work. I just the simplest is a dedicated strongman day.

2 Likes

Not bad at all, I feel healthy and moderately athletic (not dunking or doing backflips, however).
I do feel better when I’m a bit leaner, but I also enjoy pizza and pints. I can hold 220lbs these days with just eating what I would consider a “normal” diet (basically eating when hungry).

2 Likes

Thanks man, appreciate the input! I think I’ll stick to an “events” day for now just to get use to the implements and gain some form of basic mastery over them. When I sign up for a competition I think I’ll need to talk to you guys again to figure out more of a “game plan”. Thanks!

Me too man! I love tripels. Nice and light feeling but usually over 10% haha!

2 Likes

DEADLIFT (ss: Hanging Leg Raises - 5x20)
225x8
275x8
315x8
365x8
385x8
405x8
445x8

SPRINTS
10 sprints @ maybe 80-85%

5 Likes

Brian Alsruhe’s videos on his youtube channel are great for getting you going in the right direction for learning implements.

2 Likes

BACK SQUAT / AB WHEEL / BROAD JUMPS
285x8 / x20 / x5
295x8 / x20 / x5
305x8 / x20 / x5
315x8 / x20 / x5

RDL / KB SWING / HANGING LEG RAISES
285x8 / x20 / x12
295x8 / x20 / x12
305x8 / x20 / x12
315x8 / x20 / x12

WALKING LUNGES
GHR
4x15
BB ROW
245 @ 4x12

So this past weekend I went on a 5 hour binge where I learned about Ed Coan. I watched all these interviews, seminars, and a few articles. Amazing athlete. I had no idea how savage he actually was. Seems to be a real humble person too. For anyone that follows along it seems he worked in 12-16 weeks blocks.

The numbers might not be full accurate, but for those of you that know, does this seem to be the way he would progress over 12 weeks? Seems to be a bit of block/linear periodization?

Week 1 - 5x8
Week 2 - 5x8
Week 3 - 5x5
Week 4 - 5x5
Week 5 - 5x5
Week 6 - 5x5
Week 7 - 5x3
Week 8 - 5x3
Week 9 - 3x3
Week 10 - 2x3
Week 11 - 2x2
Week 12 - 2x2
Week 13 - PR.

4 Likes

Tate and green just did a table talk where they discussed his programming and spoke about how impressive his discipline was and consistency was over such a long period of time. He made a plan that worked for him stayed with it and the legend was born.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to that video? I’m not seeing it anywhere!

1 Like

Here it is I think…

Or here.

I think they are repetitive and part of the same interview. I watch so much I don’t always remember exactly

1 Like

you could look at CT’s SGSS simple guaranteed strength and size.
or Brian Alsruhes linear progression.
It’s a fairly simple progression method.
I think the trick is to find the right weights

1 Like

Thanks man!

For sure man. I really like using 8’s, 5’s , and 3’s. I feel like 10’s are too light and I have no real need for doubles or singles unless I’m doing EMOM sets or olympic lifts.

1 Like

Well, SGSS has three weeks each of 8s, 5s, and 3s.

The more and more I see that program I feel like I should give it a go. But 4 BB lifts in the same session (especially the lower day) looks brutal.

1 Like

It is

2 Likes

I’m not sure that he ever did 5x8s or 5x5s just because volume at the weight he used would be brutal. IIRC, a user back in the day named CSeagle? trained with him and had a log here. It was before I joined t-nation, but I lurked forever and read along with it. You could look it up and get an idea of how it worked first hand.

1 Like

I like that split as long as still doing something athletic. I’m all about the short sessions and frequency. My best strength and athleticism since getting into 30’s was low intensity easy stuff in mornings (intervals, rowing, general strength, etc) and then harder sessions - real sprinting-jumping-throwing or heavy lifting in the afternoon. 15-25 mins AM and 50-70 mins PM.

2 Likes

I don’t know how you pull off two-a-days with your schedule. :+1:

Lol - I don’t! I did in 2010-2015 - when I was going through separation, and then single for a year or so, then living on my own for 2 years. Made it a lot easier! Now, it’s just do something. I can see top two abs, next two with good lighting, and will dunk again by summer. What’s impressive is that I drink most days and still get up early and work 12 hours and find a workout slot somewhere most days!

2 Likes

Knock this off and you’ll see those abs a lot quicker! (he says while he’s half drunk :laughing:)

2 Likes