Just Another Log

Hey nutty
what happened to SIMPLE program.
Heck of a lot of work in there mate.
How long time does a session like that take?

That must have put a bit of sweat on you. I hate Burpees BTW.

Well it is still a simple program lol. Just a bit more variety. I stole the layout from Alpha’s linear progression program. This session took me under an hour. I’m NEVER in the gym more than an hour. Once i walk in, I put a timer on for 60 minutes and I gotta get as much work done as I can. I rest anywhere between 30 seconds to 90 seconds depending on where I am. Usually earlier sets have less rest time since I am not as fatigued. I am DRENCHED in sweat by end of my session. My conditioning has been pretty good every since running BTM so I am able to fly through sessions pretty fast.

I was already drenched, but this had my whole body on fire. I absolutely hate burpees, but in terms of conditioning in a small space, absolutely nothing will get you in better shape than burpees.

1 Like

I’m doing it on his Darkhorse program as well. He does it on every program.
I really like it too, but as you say when finished I’m drenched too.
Really like your program and might even borrow it when I’m done with the darkhorse.

1 Like

WEEK 1 - WOD DAY

Run 800m
21 Pull ups
21 Handstand Push Ups

Run 600m
15 Pull ups
15 Handstand Push Ups

Run 400m
9 Pull ups
9 Handstand Push Ups

3 Likes

WEEK 1 - Lower Day 2

FRONT SQUAT (ss: Hanging Leg Raises - 5x15)
305x5
305x5
305x5
305x5
305x5

RDL (ss: Split Squat - 5x12)
275x10
275x10
275x10
275x10
275x10

BACK SQUAT (ss: Broad Jumps - 15 total)
225x10
225x10
225x10
225x10

BACK EXT/DECLINE SIT UP
50 reps

NOTES
Upper Lower and I already feel great. I think with the weights I’m handling and the frequency I like, this is probably the split I stick to for a quite sometime.

@flipcollar @T3hPwnisher - I figure you guys would be my best bet with this question. So my wife got me a present and got me an XL Rogue Sandbag! Based on the ratings it’s meant for up to 220lbs of weight. She told me she got it for me because she wants me to be able to drag someone out of building in case of a fire lol. Obviously I’ll have to work my up to using the full 220lbs. But any workouts, progressions, etc you recommend for the sandbag? I have 100lbs of sand at my father in laws so I was thinking of starting with that to just get use to using it. Any advice would be appreciated. I figure tomorrow I’d start with front hugs/bear hugs type carries because that’s one thing I’ve never really done.

1 Like

Never really followed a progression, because once the bag is loaded, it’s pretty much loaded for me. I’m not going back and putting more sand in or taking it out.

You just do different things with lighter bags. If it’s 100lbs, you can most likely clean and press it, which is pretty awful and makes you stupid strong. You can also carry if for stupid long distances, or try to move as fast as you can while carrying it.

The most difficult part about sandbags is the pick, so spend time working on picking it up off the floor. Go at it from different angles. I like using the Tabata interval timing of 20 seconds on/10 seconds off to get in a lot of picks in a short time. It can be brutal with a heavy bag. You could either shoulder it for the full 20 seconds (so pick up, drop, repeat) or pick it up and run until the 20 seconds is up.

2 Likes

Thanks man! So I figure I’d start off with 100 to get use to it and then jump to 200 when the time is right.

When you mean pick intervals you mean within 20 seconds try to pick up and put it down as many times as I can within that 20 seconds?

Since I’m doing a 4 day upper/lower now I was thinking of using the sandbag at the end of my sessions. Would you say carries on lower body days and pick/clean and presses on upper body days is a good way to split it up?

that’s a hell of a jump, lol. I was actually gonna recommend like 150 to start, and then maybe go to 200. 150 should be manageable for you for carries and stuff. If you want more flexibility with it, 100 might make more sense. like if you want to press it.

1 Like

Like I wrote in the previous post, you could shoulder it for 20 second or pick it up and run. Depends on what you want to train.

No real bad way to split it. Just get it done.

1 Like

Sounds good man, I’ll try 150 to start with. Luckily sand is cheap as hell.

Sounds good man, I’ll give it a try this weekend for the first time. Hopefully this will help me get brutally strong!

So an interesting thing happened today. I went to a gym with a buddy last minute. It wasn’t any gym, it was Apex in Denver. This is a full on American Ninja Warrior gym.

I had the most fun I’ve had EVER being in a gym. The crazy part is my friend has been training for 8 months and today I completely blew him out of the water on the obstacle course. Strength (grip, back, and core) played a factor, but today was the first time that my natural athleicism was on full display. I know I’m explosive and athletic because I can grab rim and I’m only 5’7. But today was a true eye opener in how athletic I actually am. I honestly think I’m built for a sport like American Ninja Warrior. I was talking to my parents and my mom told me how she was a hurdler in high school and she won a lot of city and regional competitions. My dad boxed as a youngin and won a lot of matches. So now I truly know where my athleticism comes from.

I can’t say I found my calling, but I think I’m going to give this American Ninja Warrior type training a nice little run. I’d be putting my strength and athleticism to use in way that’s much different than any other strength sport or sport in general.

3 Likes

O_O

Christ.

2 Likes

Haha, I was always quick and agile when I was weak, but now that I’m strong (in a sense) it’s taken my athleticism to a different level.

Maybe I should practice trying to dunk until I can and surprise some people haha!

1 Like

WEEK 1 - UPPER DAY 2

PUSH PRESS (ss: BB Row - 5x10 @ 245)
225x3
225x3
225x3
225x3
225x3
225x3

DB BENCH PRESS (ss: DB Row - 3x20 @ 100)
85x15
85x15
85x15

DIPS (ss: NG Pull-Ups, Curls - 4x12)
x34
x21
x16

NOTES
Was running short on time today so the assistance was all 3-4 sets instead of my 5 like usual. Haven’t done DB Bench in a loonnngg time! I can definitely do the 100s now but it’s so awkward to get the DBs in place. I’ll move up slowly with these since I’m slowly bringing the DBs back into the picture!

Side note, but this big ass dude at the gym told me my back makes me look like a ninja turtle. He said “I’ve never seen a dude your size with a back that big”. I was like “Genetics bro, just genetics” lol.

@littlesleeper changed my log title one more time for you haha!
@Chris_Colucci - Out of curiosity I MUST have the most log title changes in the history of T-Nation. Just curious if that’s true lol

1 Like

Haha, love it!

My god you’re strong. On top of that you’re athletic? Damn you…

1 Like

Trying to get strong like you man! Plus you are more jacked than I am lol. I’m just dense as shit.

I count 33 times in the last 80 weeks, so 2-3 times a week every week since you started it.

You are the Samuel L. Jackson to @Dsmolken’s Bruce Willis (nearly 8 years of slow and steady unedited posts).

2 Likes

I went to a Ninja Warrior gym once here in Dallas, absolutely loved it. My bodyweight made some things pretty difficult, but I could absolutely destroy the salmon ladder. I was very fast on that. I could do 10 steps in 10 seconds after just a few tries. I couldn’t get the hang of the warped wall though, even after someone showed me how to do it. Couldn’t get my steps right.

And everything hurt the next day.

Definitely see the appeal though, if for some reason I get tired of strongman in the next few years, I could see myself dropping about 20 lbs of lower body weight, leaning out even more, and trying my hand at ninja warrior.

3 Likes

Most of the guys that are successful at it are small explosive dudes 5’5”-5’8” and very strong while being lean and lower body weights Rock climbers types

1 Like

This fits me perfectly. I’m 5’7 and explosive. I did notice today that my forearms and and obliques were sore as shit.

Yeah man it’s super fun. I felt like I was a kid again running through the subway station and jumping off ledges and scaling up walls haha. I feel sore in places that I’ve never really felt sore before. Probably because you are literally using every fiber in your body for some of these obstacles. Luckily for me my legs are not big, just a bit stocky. I think being light (and light on my feet) helped me out yesterday. I wrestled for 2 years in HS so I think that helps in terms of moving my body in weird positions.

The way I was flying through the course yesterday I felt like this guy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjQGbeFA-Lf

2 Likes