T Nation

MR Prime Time....

You’ve got questions, I’ve got answers. Hit me up!

Mike your thoughts

  1. Snatch grip deads for back strength? Thumbs up or thumbs down/ You really can’t use the amount of weight that u normally could but i’m tall, I;ve strained my back twice doing regular deads( a combo of my height and I’m assuming lack of 100% proper form)

  2. For trap hypertrophy, even thought I watch and read instrustions for snatchs I really can’t get them down. So what do you think of hang clean pulls for trap hypertropy?

1 - Low back or upper back? Snatches of all varities can really blow up the upper back, but probably won’t do a ton for low back strength.

2 - I love all high pulls for developing the traps. I discuss this in my “Back on Track” piece; I never felt DOMS soreness in my traps until I started doing Olympic lifts and heavy deadlifts.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Mike your thoughts

  1. Snatch grip deads for back strength? Thumbs up or thumbs down/ You really can’t use the amount of weight that u normally could but i’m tall, I;ve strained my back twice doing regular deads( a combo of my height and I’m assuming lack of 100% proper form)

  2. For trap hypertrophy, even thought I watch and read instrustions for snatchs I really can’t get them down. So what do you think of hang clean pulls for trap hypertropy?[/quote]

Mike, I was wondering if you could critique toe pre-season lifting/running program that I have put together to get ready for football season.

Here is the link:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=655474

Any comments (what i’m doing wrong, right, what needs to be changed, kept the same) would be extremely appreciated.

I made a few comments, but it looks pretty good overall!

Stay strong
MR

Hey MR, hope your day is going aight.

I work a job that involves standing on my feet all day and lifting some stuff (toilets, carpets, doors, etc). Starting next week I will also be building houses for habitat for humanity 3x a week for 9 hrs a day.

Currently I am training 3x per week(your S&S routine :P, it owns) and doing cardio 2x a week. My goal in the gym is to continue to put on weight(10 pounds so far!).

I was curious if you would reccomend dropping all cardio once I start doing the construction work. My recovery ability is not the best and I am worried about burning my body out. I guess I will have to try it and see how it goes but I was interested in the opinion of someone a little older(and wiser) then myself.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Mike, thanks for the lookover. I just needed a little feedback from a guy who knows what to do to make sure that I’m heading in the right direction.

Thanks again.

No worries bro; keep us posted on how the gains are coming!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]buckeye75 wrote:
Mike, thanks for the lookover. I just needed a little feedback from a guy who knows what to do to make sure that I’m heading in the right direction.

Thanks again.
[/quote]

I’ve traded my deads for good mornings. I feel I’m getting a much better workout with the morning routines. Plus it’s easier on the hands :wink:

OD

Blam,

I would DEFINITELY drop the cardio work once you start the job. For one, you said your recovery isn’t all that great to begin with. As well, you want to focus your efforts on weight gain, so there’s not a ton of need for cardio at this time.

Try it out like this, and if things are going well, you can always start by adding 1 day of cardio in per week to see how it affects your training and recovery. Good luck and glad you like the routine!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]blam wrote:
Hey MR, hope your day is going aight.

I work a job that involves standing on my feet all day and lifting some stuff (toilets, carpets, doors, etc). Starting next week I will also be building houses for habitat for humanity 3x a week for 9 hrs a day.

Currently I am training 3x per week(your S&S routine :P, it owns) and doing cardio 2x a week. My goal in the gym is to continue to put on weight(10 pounds so far!).

I was curious if you would reccomend dropping all cardio once I start doing the construction work. My recovery ability is not the best and I am worried about burning my body out. I guess I will have to try it and see how it goes but I was interested in the opinion of someone a little older(and wiser) then myself.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

[/quote]

That’s the beauty in that routine; it’s old-school in concept, but you can always swap other big, compound exercises in place of others to keep it fresh and the gains coming.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Original_Demon wrote:
I’ve traded my deads for good mornings. I feel I’m getting a much better workout with the morning routines. Plus it’s easier on the hands :wink:

OD[/quote]

hey mike I currently use a Westside Template for PL Mon,Wed Max Effort
Fri Sat Dynamic Effort… As a strength coach I would like to do Olys also what are your takes on this?

You can still incorporate them, much like Westside does with the speed pulls in their program. As well, you can mix in some of the heavy stuff on your ME day, rotating it one week and then perhaps a PL specific ME the next week.

The biggest drawback is that you won’t get the motor control benefits that a true OL program offers; these are highly complex exercises that need to be practiced often.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]steelman wrote:
hey mike I currently use a Westside Template for PL Mon,Wed Max Effort
Fri Sat Dynamic Effort… As a strength coach I would like to do Olys also what are your takes on this?[/quote]

I think the gas has worn off, but if I give some crazy answers tonight you can’t blame me!

Seriously, I’m on for 2 hours; send me some questions!

Stay strong
MR