T Nation

MR Prime Time: Holiday Version!

Thirty days sound okay? after the thirty days slowly add calories 100/day.

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
Well first off, that’s only about 1600 kcals per day, not 1800 (at least on non-w/o days).

Next, your fats are really low. If nothing else, I would add more healthy fats back into the equation to help with insulin sensitivity. As well, if you are doing cardio activity along w/the low calorie diet, I think you’ll be harder pressed to keep your strength, assuming that’s your goal.

As well, this isn’t something I would recommend someone try for an extended period of time. I’m all for weight/fat loss, but I’m going to counsel people to do it in a little bit more moderate fashion.

Stay strong
MR

retailboy wrote:
Mr. Robertson I know I’m really milking you tonight but, I have one more.

For a person (160lb, 5’7", 14%bf) lifting four days a week (50 min, full body), 20 min low-mid impact walking in the mourning on empty stomach, consuming 700 calories under their equilibrium per day (1800).
Macros non w/o days: c/f/p: 63/32/271
Macros w/o days: c/f/p: 129/28/239
Using 4 HOT-ROX a day

They continue this for 30 days, generally what do you think their chances of losing muscle during this time are? What would make this short fat loss process more effective for preserving muscle?

Thanks!
RetailBoy

[/quote]

Mike you seem to be well up on injuries. You helped me with a minor knee problem before and now I have an injury that is really bugging me.

About 6-7 weeks ago I hurt my wrist falling on it. It didn’t hurt much at the time and still doesn’t hurt, much. That is until I flex my wrist (ie moving the back of the hand towards my forearm) then it hurts like hell. It has gotten no better at all since but no worse either. I cannot do most exercises in the gym like benching as it hurts too much, although I seem to be able to do dumbell military presses. I know I haven’t given you much to go on but what might the cause be and how do I go about fixing it ASAP?

I don’t use lat pulldowns b/c I can do pull-ups. I don’t think powerlifters need to do a ton of pulldowns because the pull-up gives you so much bang-for-your-buck. As well, the lats are typically very tight, so you need those rows in your program to maintenance balance around the scapula.

To develop the lats, I use a variety of hand-grips. I hate the line of thinking that there’s one single, best way to do something; instead, use a multitude of exercises and variations to widen that back.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]gold’s wrote:
Hi Coach,

Here’s mine:
In your wonderful article about back exercises, you didn’t mention the lat pulldowns done on a machine.The lat pulldowns are actually more difficult to feel the contraction of the back muscles than rowing movements for me.

Bodybuilders use machine lat pulldowns while powerlifters don’t? Both athletes seem capable to do all kinds of pullups already. Also,does a person build larger lat muscles from a wider grip or not?

Thanks and have a great day.

[/quote]

Yes, just make sure to really monitor your strength and energy levels throughout.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]retailboy wrote:
Thirty days sound okay? after the thirty days slowly add calories 100/day.

[/quote]

First off, have you had an x-ray done? If that’s negative, you probably strained some of your wrist extensors.

I had a similar injury awhile ago and the only thing that really helped was a chiro adjusting the small bones in my wrist and doing ART on the extensors. Worked like a charm!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]ConorM wrote:
Mike you seem to be well up on injuries. You helped me with a minor knee problem before and now I have an injury that is really bugging me.

About 6-7 weeks ago I hurt my wrist falling on it. It didn’t hurt much at the time and still doesn’t hurt, much. That is until I flex my wrist (ie moving the back of the hand towards my forearm) then it hurts like hell. It has gotten no better at all since but no worse either. I cannot do most exercises in the gym like benching as it hurts too much, although I seem to be able to do dumbell military presses. I know I haven’t given you much to go on but what might the cause be and how do I go about fixing it ASAP?[/quote]

All right all, I’m out for the evening. Feel free to leave questions here, though, and I’ll try to keep up throughout the week!

Stay strong
MR

I’ll be on from 7-9 EST. Whatever you do, DON’T ask about how I signed up for a gym membership on Tuesday and go back Wednesday to find out it’s closed due to bankruptcy!

Feel free to leave questions here and I’ll get to them ASAP!

Stay strong
MR

Internet is dying on me…

Any questions in the meantime?

Since no one asked, let me tell you all about the $60 workout I had Tuesday.

After much deliberation, I figured that the Gold’s Gym here in Fishers was going to be my best option. I go in first thing, pay my $60 for the first month, then go right into my warm-up.

I go through all my dynamic flex, spinal flossing, the works, then start squatting. I get my first set done, and the attendant comes over and says to me, “Bro, you gotta go, the next shift guy isn’t showing up.” Now for me, squat day is like church: You just don’t miss, and you sure as hell don’t cut it short. I’m thinking in the back of my mind what an earful this manager is going to get, when the guy comes back over and says that the next shift guy has in fact shown up and I can finish my workout. Gee thanks!

So yesterday I get a call from a buddy who knows what happened on Tuesday. He starts off with the line, “Been to Golds lately?” I say, “yes idiot, I was there yesterday.” He retorts, “Been there today?” I said no. He said good thing, they closed down due to bankruptcy! So beyond the embolism they almost caused me to suffer on Tuesday, now I’m also out the 60 bucks for basically 2 hours of training. What a deal, eh?

I need to start my own gym, 'cause this kind of stuff isn’t going to cut it. Any similar stories out there?

Ok, rant over!

Stay strong
MR

Regarding stretching the shoulders/chest… I have suffered many shoulder dislocations in the past, it’s now one of my goals the really be coscience of my posture and try to the problems I have. When I try to stretch my pec in a doorway or on a squat rack the problem feels as though it couls pop out at any time. I have done lots of rehab/ext rotation, band work to try a make the joint more stable but still get very nervious when attempting to stretch it. Any suggestions or alternative stretches for this area??

Thank You

Hey Mike

I have an anterior pelvic tilt, most likely due to alot of soccer and rugby as a kid, and no stretching for the hip flexors.

My question is, I love squats, but feel they may make the probelm worse. Is there a variation or different I could do to minimize the amount of hip flexor involvement?

Good Lord MR

That’s horrible about the gym. Of course, you could spend thousands more and sue to get your $60 back. Nothing gets back that squat workout.

Years ago, I joined a Nautilus after building some foundation at home. After the “training” session (1 set circuit then shower), I began to suspect a problem. After about two weeks, I had begun to dial in the load, and I popped a blood vessel in my head doing the one heavy set of leg presses. Later tests revealed, as my brother always said, that as far as my brain is concerned there is nothing there. LOL.

In the years since I’ve gone through 2 home gym setups, I’ve been luck to have the space.

Thanks as always for the good posts and articles, Mike. I always read them.

Richard

How long ago were the dislocations? What is your flexibility like now?

As you know, there’s an inverse relationship between the mobility of a joint and its stability. If you feel that things are not stable, I would not be stretching around it! Instead, focus on other techniques such as massage, ART, etc. to get the range you desire.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]buffy wrote:
Regarding stretching the shoulders/chest… I have suffered many shoulder dislocations in the past, it’s now one of my goals the really be coscience of my posture and try to the problems I have. When I try to stretch my pec in a doorway or on a squat rack the problem feels as though it couls pop out at any time. I have done lots of rehab/ext rotation, band work to try a make the joint more stable but still get very nervious when attempting to stretch it. Any suggestions or alternative stretches for this area??

Thank You[/quote]

One more question, I’m interested in taking exercise science to further my education (I took a good fitness course at College). The problem is finding a good school in Ontario, Canada. Do you know of any?

I wouldn’t remove squats; instead, I would just use phases of training where they aren’t the priority.

Switch in phases where you put a premium on ROM, quality of movement, motor control, etc. and I think you’ll be able to squat until your heart’s content. Good luck!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]jcharles wrote:
Hey Mike

I have an anterior pelvic tilt, most likely due to alot of soccer and rugby as a kid, and no stretching for the hip flexors.

My question is, I love squats, but feel they may make the probelm worse. Is there a variation or different I could do to minimize the amount of hip flexor involvement?

[/quote]

Rich -

Thanks for the kind words. When I get my own little dungeon built, you’ll have to come train with me!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]richieY2K wrote:
Good Lord MR

That’s horrible about the gym. Of course, you could spend thousands more and sue to get your $60 back. Nothing gets back that squat workout.

Years ago, I joined a Nautilus after building some foundation at home. After the “training” session (1 set circuit then shower), I began to suspect a problem. After about two weeks, I had begun to dial in the load, and I popped a blood vessel in my head doing the one heavy set of leg presses. Later tests revealed, as my brother always said, that as far as my brain is concerned there is nothing there. LOL.

In the years since I’ve gone through 2 home gym setups, I’ve been luck to have the space.

Thanks as always for the good posts and articles, Mike. I always read them.

Richard[/quote]

I’m not sure what school Stuart McGill is at (I think it’s in Kitchner/Waterloo), but that’s the only school I can think of.

Perhaps you could ask BARR? He’s a Mountee in training, ya know!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]jcharles wrote:
One more question, I’m interested in taking exercise science to further my education (I took a good fitness course at College). The problem is finding a good school in Ontario, Canada. Do you know of any?[/quote]

Hi Mike,

Do the spinae erectors need to be worked separately or does the deadlift strengthens these muscles already?

Does the squat strengthen the erectors too but in a diff. way? I assume that the squat is not the best way to help these long muscles along the spine?

Thanks!

They don’t necessarily need to be strengthened in a dynamic fashion, but for most they do need to be strengthened in a more supportive/isometric fashion. Good mornings and RDL’s are both good choices here. Also, per EC and I’s “Lousy Leverages” piece, those with longer torsos typically need more low back work. This is true when squatting as well.

When squats and pulls are performed correctly, there should be little or no movement around the spine.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]gold’s wrote:
Hi Mike,

Do the spinae erectors need to be worked separately or does the deadlift strengthens these muscles already?

Does the squat strengthen the erectors too but in a diff. way? I assume that the squat is not the best way to help these long muscles along the spine?

Thanks![/quote]

Shit balls.

I had typed a lengthy question but it got messed up, so I’ll make it short.

Is periodization necessary for fat-loss specific training, especially for a beginner?

How has your exercise prescription changed since the “Man With A Plan” series on Dr. JB’s site? How would the basic trainee workout carry over to a beginner seeking fat-loss? Would the amount of exercises, sets, reps, and rest periods be appropriate?

Not so short : ) Thanks in advance,

boonville