T Nation

Mr. Olympia meets World's Strongest Man

2011 video, but Phil Heath meeting Brian Shaw

It’s funny how much bickering you’ll see among the iron sports online in forums, but the two absolute best guys in their respective arenas are nothing but respectful to each other.

Also, I am fairly certain Brian Shaw is part Sasquatch. He can manage to make Phil Heath look small.

I definitely like training for aesthetics as well as strength. I think the two compliment each other very well, and I wasted time in the past year thinking I was “just training for strength” instead of size at times.

someone should tell Brian his hips are shooting up too fast : )

That was cool. I’m sure they both turned heads when they walked into the restaurant.

To be fair, most human beings will look small next to Shaw, including Mariusz and all other WSMs.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
2011 video, but Phil Heath meeting Brian Shaw

It’s funny how much bickering you’ll see among the iron sports online in forums, but the two absolute best guys in their respective arenas are nothing but respectful to each other.

Also, I am fairly certain Brian Shaw is part Sasquatch. He can manage to make Phil Heath look small. [/quote]

Cool video! These guys are always fun to watch and listen to.

Very entertaining. Two guys at the top of their respective games, sharing commonalities and differences. I know that I always loved training and talking ‘shop’ with my brother in law who is a competitive Strongman. No egos, no trying to ‘one up’ each other, just mutual respect at how we’re both insanely comitted and driven in our chosen pursuits.

And yeah, Shaw is one big dude. I’ve noticed that in every iron related sport, your natural structure and genetics really play into reaching the upper echelon. I’ve been around plenty of strongman contests over the last few years, and I imagine you’d be hard pressed to find a top competitor who isn’t big boned and well above average height.

S

A 700lb atlas stone. I don’t even…

Fantastic, two class acts. It was pretty cool to see them have a freethrow-off at the end to “settle the bill”.

[quote]kgildner wrote:
Fantastic, two class acts. It was pretty cool to see them have a freethrow-off at the end to “settle the bill”.[/quote]
He certainly was nice here, but everyone I’ve heard from said Phil is an utter douchebag… I’ve heard nothing but good things about Shaw though.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]kgildner wrote:
Fantastic, two class acts. It was pretty cool to see them have a freethrow-off at the end to “settle the bill”.[/quote]
He certainly was nice here, but everyone I’ve heard from said Phil is an utter douchebag… I’ve heard nothing but good things about Shaw though.[/quote]

A douchebag with a whole lotta striations. I guess his media presence is a lot cleaner than his real-life demeanour, then.

[quote]kgildner wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]kgildner wrote:
He certainly was nice here, but everyone I’ve heard from said Phil is an utter douchebag… I’ve heard nothing but good things about Shaw though.[/quote]

A douchebag with a whole lotta striations. I guess his media presence is a lot cleaner than his real-life demeanour, then.[/quote]
Although on the other hand I wonder how much of his “real-life demeanour” is possibly an act. I dunno what the motivation would be, but some people have also wondered if he’s trying to play some kind of “bad guy” character in bodybuilding lol.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
I definitely like training for aesthetics as well as strength. I think the two compliment each other very well, and I wasted time in the past year thinking I was “just training for strength” instead of size at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucmpp6_qTmM [/quote]

If Shaw could get his hips down more he’d easily pull 1,000. He should probably back off until his technique is a bit better.

Oh me, I’ve pulled 405 before, I know how to Deadlift!!

Lol

985…sweet holy jeebus.

Yeah, he’s a big dude and from my very limited experience really nice and incredibly soft spoken.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Yeah, he’s a big dude and from my very limited experience really nice and incredibly soft spoken.[/quote]
“Imma bout to eat this fool even though, surprisingly, we have the same sized head”
-Shaw

Looking at his stance, I thought he was pulling semi-sumo. Then I looked up and realized that’s just shoulder width for him. Good Lord that’s a big dude.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Yeah, he’s a big dude and from my very limited experience really nice and incredibly soft spoken.[/quote]
“Imma bout to eat this fool even though, surprisingly, we have the same sized head”
-Shaw[/quote]
I can’t stop laughing at this even though it’s not a great joke

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
-Shaw[/quote]
I can’t stop laughing at this even though it’s not a great joke[/quote]
Thanks, kind of?

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
-Shaw[/quote]
I can’t stop laughing at this even though it’s not a great joke[/quote]
Thanks, kind of?[/quote]
still making me laugh if I re-read it, so yes

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Very entertaining. Two guys at the top of their respective games, sharing commonalities and differences. I know that I always loved training and talking ‘shop’ with my brother in law who is a competitive Strongman. No egos, no trying to ‘one up’ each other, just mutual respect at how we’re both insanely comitted and driven in our chosen pursuits.

And yeah, Shaw is one big dude. I’ve noticed that in every iron related sport, your natural structure and genetics really play into reaching the upper echelon. I’ve been around plenty of strongman contests over the last few years, and I imagine you’d be hard pressed to find a top competitor who isn’t big boned and well above average height.

S[/quote]

I remember you posting a while back when there was still just a “strength sports” subforum about competing in a strongman comp Stu. It was pretty cool to see the carryover your bodybuilding training had to the sport, and I remember it kinda making it click to me that we all have far more in common than different with each other. At the end of the day, it’s all lifting weights.