T Nation

MR: Benching Alone?

Mike, I work out by myself and have been having some problems with my bench. I try to set up the way you talk about in your benching article but am unable to retract my shoulder blades because I have to unrack the weight myself. It feels like I may be hurting my shoulder some also when I have to re-reck the bar. Any suggestion? Or is getting help w/ the unrack the only way.

Thanks

Sam,

I wish I had better news, but it’s almost impossible to keep the position I describe without a hand-off. There are times when I have to lift-off for myself with heavy weights, and I agree it’s very tough (and can aggravate your shoulder as well).

The best advice is to try and find someone, ANYONE, who can give you a solid handoff.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]sam747 wrote:
Mike, I work out by myself and have been having some problems with my bench. I try to set up the way you talk about in your benching article but am unable to retract my shoulder blades because I have to unrack the weight myself. It feels like I may be hurting my shoulder some also when I have to re-reck the bar. Any suggestion? Or is getting help w/ the unrack the only way.

Thanks[/quote]

You can also try to find a bench that is easier to start.

For example, the part that holds the barbell is usually somekind of a U shaped holder. If you have access to a bench with a barbell holder that is only somekind of a pin or a V, thats gonna be alot easier for you.